Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lacuna Coil - "Karmacode"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I grabbed this on my break at Circuit City for a measly $8.99. I've only been able to listen to it once. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I'm just glad we have new Lacuna Coil music. I believe "Comalies" was released way back in October '02. The biggest positive is it seems to be they've used more of Christina Scabbia's vocals and less of Andrea Ferro's. He's okay, but I'd rather hear her throughout an entire song. She's got a great voice. Again, I've only been able to hear it once, but it seemed like I didn't hear him that often. They've written some great music, with good use of strings, etc. Also, I really liked the cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence. Other tracks that stood out right away for me were #8 Fragments of Faith and #1 Fragile, in addition to the single Our Truth. Can't wait to give it another listen after work. Another solid effort.
Old 04-04-06, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
I've listened to the album a few times. It took 3 or 4 listens to grow on me, but I like it.
Old 04-04-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Lacuna Coil open for Rob Zombie last nght and they put on a great show (I caught a drumstick) . Some of the new material is heavier than before. I just picked up the album but havn't listened to it yet.
Old 04-04-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If they do away with Andrea's vocals it could be awesome, but god, the man sucks at singing.
Old 04-04-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The biggest positive is it seems to be they've used more of Christina Scabbia's vocals and less of Andrea Ferro's.
Lord I hope so. I agree with LivingINClip. Well, I wouldn't necessarily fire him, but let him play the tamborine or somthin'..
Old 04-05-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm a bit dissapointed in it... it just sounds more generic to me. I greatly prefer Comalies so far...

Saw em with P.O.D. a few yrs back - put on a pretty good show I thought.
Old 04-05-06, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I'm planning on purchasing it, but haven't gotten around to it. I'll be seeing them in a week with Zombie, so maybe I'll pick it up at the show. Glad to hear it's pretty good.
Old 04-05-06, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everytime Andrea sings, it reminds me of a really bad 80's hair metal band. Just ruins any vibe that band has what so ever. I have the album, gave it a listen here and there and it's decent, but nothing breakthrough.
Old 04-05-06, 03:45 AM

Waiting for my copy to arrive. Hope it shows this week.
Old 04-05-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Lord I hope so. I agree with LivingINClip. Well, I wouldn't necessarily fire him, but let him play the tamborine or somthin'..
He does have some verses on a few songs, but for me, it didn't seem as though he was featured that much. Maybe they finally realized that using Scabbia's vocals on the majority of the songs will be their ticket to stardom.

After another listen, I gotta say I absolutely love track #10 Invisible Light and #11 The Game. Invisible Light is kinda like one of those uplifting orchestrated type songs. The Game simply rocks. This album is tops on my list so far...

This band knows how to make a chorus as well. It seems like hundreds of people are chanting them during the songs. I'd like to see them live, but not on Ozzfest. Just by themselves, but I don't think they are coming here anytime soon.
Old 04-05-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
I'm a bit dissapointed in it... it just sounds more generic to me. I greatly prefer Comalies so far...
Let me first say that I just discovered LC about 3 weeks ago. Purchased Comalies & Unleashed Memories. UM is pretty forgettable while Comalies is brilliant and gotten quite a bit of play time with me.

I've only listened to Karmacode once, but on that one listen I have to agree with Artman. Comalies has a perfect mix of prog/goth/metal/experimentation, while UM & Karmacode have this generic/plain metal sound to them. Of course that may change after more listens.

I don't mind the Andrea's vocals, they compliment Christina's quite well, they sound good together, but the tracks where he sings solo drag a bit. Not awful, but not near as unique and interesting as Christina's. I hope they don't do away with it because the music industry has been lacking in bands where more than one member sings. Just something different that I enjoy seeing/hearing.
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
This is how I feel as well. I'll certainly give it a few more listens to see how it grows on me, but so far I'm not feelin it all that much.
Old 04-12-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Picked up Karmacode at Best Buy for nine bucks since I don't think it will be available through BMG, and I was left pretty cold.

It's nowhere near as strong as Comalies was. The production was too nu-metalish for my tastes, even though it seemed like they still retained a bit of their ambient flavor.

And Ferro's a shitty singer, even for a metal singer. The guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone. He isn't fit to sing back-up, let alone co-lead.
Old 04-12-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been listening to it all week now and feel a little better about the album. Still not as strong as Comalies, but it's pretty good.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And Ferro's a shitty singer, even for a metal singer. The guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone. He isn't fit to sing back-up, let alone co-lead.
He isn't that bad. His voice actually reminds me of the vocals from Blind Guardian.
Old 04-20-06, 09:57 PM

I really like Lacuna Coil want to get the new cd.
Old 04-20-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Someone at the comic store I go to had a mag (I think it was Kerrang...) with some pretty sexy pics of Christina. Anyone got 'em?
Old 07-14-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wanted to come back and state after dozens of listens this album really grew on me and is my favorite album this year(an impressive feat since one of my favorite bands, Queensryche, also released an album this year). We'll also see where it stands after Henning Pauly's "Babysteps" reaches my ears in a few weeks.

I think it is a more solid effort than Comalies after many many listens. The production values play a big part. Comalies comes off as almost sophomoric/messy in comparison. The band and sound is tighter, vocals are top notch it's just a better produced CD overall. Musically I still miss the prog/goth element a bit - but I can always pop in Comalies for that fix.

Now, I wouldn't say Karma is better than Comalies, just different. Both have their strong points and weak points. I'd rate them both equally, even though I reach for Karmacode more often than Comalies.
Old 07-16-06, 10:45 PM

I like most of the music, but the extreme compression makes it sound awful (and very fatiguing).
Old 07-26-06, 01:24 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I saw them at Ozzfest today in Toronto and I thought they were quite good. I'd never listened to them before and now I want to buy their CDs.
Old 07-26-06, 10:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I saw them at Ozzfest this past Sunday and thought they were okay. I may have to dig up some of their stuff.
Old 07-26-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
I haven't heard a single second of their music, but I think the lead singer chick is hot!!!

I know worthless post, my bad.
Old 09-03-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
It took me 2 long hours, but I have made my first LC mix cd [without listening to a complete song]

Anyway I borrowed all 5 cd's from my brother. I just threw them all in and sampled each track back and forth. I took notice on what people here said about the male singer dude and yeah I agree I don't like him. So I basically kept any song where CRISTINA was the primary singer and deleted the songs where Andrea was the main.

Here's my track list:

No Need To Explain
This Is My Dream
Circle
My Wings
To Myself I Turned
Cold
Purify
Wave Of Anguish
Heaven's A Lie
Aeon
The Ghost Woman And The Hunter
Unspoken
Entwined
Angel's Punishment
Comalies
To The Edge
Our Truth
You Create
What I See
Closer
The Game

eliminating the tracks lead by Andrea helped, because there were a couple more tracks that I liked from their EP and Comalies that I had to be taken off due to time, but anyways he sucks!

So on first impressions this is a good band... if CRISTINA was the only singer and Andrea was just back up, then Lacuna Coil would be a real real good band, because she can sing and has a great voice [plus she's hot ]

Anway can't wait to listen to a complete LC song