Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Great Song Squeeze (mp3 storage)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Way Behind The Times here finally bought a 40gb mp3 player (well, it's on the way). I always thought I'd hold out for a 60gb player just because of the huge collection I have. But I couldn't wait anymore with prices finally coming down to my liking at the 40gb level.

This is hard! I mean trying to fit my 192 VBR songs down to 40gb. Did you find yourself with the size of your player running into problems? Did you learn which bands really matter to you this way? I'm discovering that when push comes to shove I'm choosing The Church over just about any other band I own. I can't edit their playlist down.

Regardless, this is fun!
Old 04-02-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
That's where playlists come into play (pardon the redundancy). Especially if you can have them update on the fly. I don't know what kind of player you have, but whatever form of smart playlists is the way to go.

I have 101 GB of music at the moment. I've got my favorite playlists, highest rated playlists, unplayed playlists. Pretty normal stuff. Then, I've got playlists set up to pull one song from each year, grabbing whatever is the least recently played song. This gets me a great mix of music, while allowing me to hear songs I don't ususally. I'll also have a playlists pull a couple hundred songs I haven't listened to yet t okeep things fresh.

It starts to get really fun coming up with new playlists. If you can't make smart playlists like the ipod, I'm sorry. It's still fun either way.
Old 04-03-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you are saying that you often delete songs off of your iPod and update your tunes with different playlists? I've been sitting here sifting through songs the past two days and having a bitch of a time trying to get in the songs I really want.

(I'm getting a Creative Zen Touch).
Old 04-03-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Another reason I am waiting for iPods to get to 100-150GB before I get one.
Old 04-03-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 60GB iPod, and I currently have about 450 albums on it, with roughly 40 GBs used. I encode at 192 VRB as well, and I also make a lossless copy of each album and store them on an external drive.

To answer your questions, I'm not currently having space issues with my 60 GB iPod, but I'm now really happy that I didn't settle for the 30 model, because I would already be over that limit.

As far as my band choices, I had the room to put each and every of my own CDs on my iPod, without having to be choosy on which CD stays or goes. But I am a little more picky now about which CDs I pick up from my local public library, and that pickiness is related to space concerns.