DVD Talk
Does anyone still do frozen dinners NOT in a microwave? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Does anyone still do frozen dinners NOT in a microwave?

Y2K Falcon
03-31-06, 10:49 AM
I was heating up the Healthy Choice the other day, and saw the "3 minutes, then 2 minutes" microwave instructions. I then saw the "35-40 minutes" conventional oven method.

Who's got the time to do a frozen dinner in a regular oven?

Can you use a toaster oven set to the correct temp? I don't see me heating up the house for an hour just to throw down a Lean Cuisine.

Would it make my Healthy Choice manicotti not quite as chewy, and add perhaps a little flavor as certain things browned/carmelized?

I'm not talking about Di Giornio/tombstone whole pies (done on a pizza stone in the oven), or the like, though the french bread/single serve pizzas I also do in the microwave.

Groucho
03-31-06, 10:52 AM
I don't have a microwave or a stove. I cook everything during the "Dry" cycle of my dishwasher.

RunBandoRun
03-31-06, 10:52 AM
I have a toaster oven that I've never used, but I think it can be used for frozen dinners.

I don't see the sense of doing frozen dinners in a conventional oven either, unless you have to cook four or five of them at once or something.

Y2K Falcon
03-31-06, 10:53 AM
Oh, and I noticed that basic pot pies are now microwaveable, which doesn't seem possible. Would those be better in the oven? I remember those having insanely long cook times... Like 50 minutes or so.

RunBandoRun
03-31-06, 11:06 AM
Oh, and I noticed that basic pot pies are now microwaveable, which doesn't seem possible. Would those be better in the oven? I remember those having insanely long cook times... Like 50 minutes or so.

Basically all you lose is the browned crust. One of my coworkers brings these to work a lot and they turn out okay except they're not browned.

Mopower
03-31-06, 11:08 AM

Are you talking about those Banquet or Swanson Pot Pies? Those are great from the microwave. They have that refective sheild thing they come in so the crust is crispy.

Have you tried those new Pininni (sp?) sandwiches that are microwaveable? Those are good too.

Morf
03-31-06, 11:11 AM
Can you use a toaster oven set to the correct temp? I don't see me heating up the house for an hour just to throw down a Lean Cuisine.

You betcha. I use my toaster oven all of the time for anything that calls for a conventional oven. It pre-heats in about 3 minutes. :up:

kakihara1
03-31-06, 11:14 AM
yep I use the oven or toaster oven whenever possible, I'm not a fan of the microwave at all. Hell I even make popcorn on the stove :)

Y2K Falcon
03-31-06, 11:15 AM
Have you tried those new Pininni (sp?) sandwiches that are microwaveable? Those are good too.
Who makes those? They sound good. :up:

I'm having Pininni envy. :drool:

Numanoid
03-31-06, 11:28 AM
Lean Cuisine Panini (http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/Panini.aspx)

al_bundy
03-31-06, 11:50 AM
Are you talking about those Banquet or Swanson Pot Pies? Those are great from the microwave. They have that refective sheild thing they come in so the crust is crispy.

should be panini or paninni or pannini

PixyJunket
03-31-06, 11:51 AM
Well.. I don't rock frozen dinners so much but I refuse to use my microwave for anything other than reheating a previous meal. Anything that can be cooked in an oven, goes in there. I'm one of the most impatient people in the world but I love food too much to disservice even crap like frozen snacks to be ruined in a microwave.