Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Showtime free preview - March 31 through April 3 (DirecTV and others?)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my DirecTV newsletter:
We know you love watching the latest movies and most exciting shows. This month, SHOWTIME UNLIMITED® treats you to a free preview March 31–April 3 on channels 537–549. Catch the Academy Award®-winning film Crash and don't miss the second season premiere of HUFF™. All this and more with SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®.
Chances are that this preview is also for Dish Network and many (most) cable companies. Enjoy!
Old 03-31-06, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just cancelled my Showtime since L-Word ended. I will probably add it back when Weeds starts up again. I used to keep it all year round when they had Queer as Folk, but I don't watch Huff and I am pinching my pennies.
Old 03-31-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep it for the boxing and the fact that it's one of the few HD channels that DirecTV offers. They're also much better about OAR than HBO.
Old 03-31-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Freebie weekend here on Time Warner Cable of NYC - several movies on tap that I've had a passing interest in seeing. Also the Showtime On Demand channel is on.
Old 03-31-06, 08:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...looks like they're ending right before the season premiere of Penn and Teller's Bullshit.
Old 03-31-06, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't look like DISH is offering the free Showtime preview.

Same thing happened last time when Starz had a free preview and DISH didn't offer it only DirectTV.

However, noticed about 2 weeks or so ago DISH had the free HBO/Cinemax free weekend.

But if anyone else have DISH and have the free Showtime preview, post here and I'll call DISH and inquire about it.
Old 03-31-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Featured airing is "Liza with a Z" on Saturday night 8pm EST. Showtime will also be issuing this on DVD for the 1st time on Tuesday 4/4.
Old 03-31-06, 09:58 AM

Does anyone know if Comcast Digital Cable in Maryland is having the free weekend?? Forgot to check before I left for work this morning. Some good movies that we haven't seen yet like Open Water and Crash that I would like to DVR.
Old 03-31-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
DirecTV
Old 03-31-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a Showtime thing, not a DirectTv thing. Saw it in Entertainment Weekly. (2 page ad.)

Anyone know how long it is? From midnight to midnight? 5pm Friday til some other time Sunday night? (Couldn't find in ad or Showtime website)
Old 03-31-06, 11:18 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
We're TiVoing the SpongeBob Movie and Captain Skyhawk.

The frree preview weekend showed up in our messages screen on our DirecTiVo.
Old 03-31-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Featured airing is "Liza with a Z" on Saturday night 8pm EST. Showtime will also be issuing this on DVD for the 1st time on Tuesday 4/4.
Now this I hope we get the free preview for.
Old 03-31-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Showtime has the best looking HD Channel lots better then HBO, only thing is it seems showtime never gets all the movies
Old 03-31-06, 11:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I'll be interested to check this out, I loved Huff last season, and to see it in HD would be sweet. So maybe I'll add showtime after the preview
Old 03-31-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
This is a Showtime thing, not a DirectTv thing. Saw it in Entertainment Weekly. (2 page ad.)

Anyone know how long it is? From midnight to midnight? 5pm Friday til some other time Sunday night? (Couldn't find in ad or Showtime website)
In that case ... Showtime

I checked at midnight and it wasn't on yet. Not even at 2 a.m. This morning, I checked at 10 a.m. and it was on.
Old 03-31-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I had never heard of Liza With a Z until I saw it advertised on Showtime, even then it didn’t look interesting. But after reading this review (below) I’ll be checking it out. Also, “Samurai 7” on IFC looks good. And of course, Crash will be on Showtime this weekend.

Liza Minnelli's '72 concert still spellbinding

Sid Smith, Maureen Ryan
Published March 31, 2006 [Chicago Tribune]

This weekend's best bets

"Liza With a `Z,'" 7 p.m. Saturday, Showtime: A restored version of the legendary Liza Minnelli special, a 1972 live concert filmed at New York's Lyceum Theatre, directed by Bob Fosse and wondrously costumed by Halston. Right in the middle of her "Cabaret" high, the special promised a great future and now stands as a misty look at Minnelli at her peak. High points, aside from her inarguable talent and youthful, childlike zeal, include Fosse's choreography to "Bye, Bye Blackbird" and the infectious "Ring Them Bells." Though the style and sentiment are dated, the tireless Minnelli holds the audience in a spell.

"Huff," 9 p.m. Sunday, Showtime: Huff (Hank Azaria), television's long-suffering analyst, returns for the show's second season, still furious after discovering his mother (Blythe Danner) and best pal Russell (Oliver Platt) in a sexual encounter. He's worried about his missing, mentally ill brother, Teddy (Andy Comeau), and struggling to help his wife Beth (Paget Brewster) cope with her very sick mother (Swoosie Kurtz), in scenes that are all too real but tinged with humor too. Judging from the early episodes, the series has lost none of its bite. Guest star Sharon Stone is a promising newcomer, aridly funny as an acid-tongued, flinty woman given to brief catatonic spells and badly equipped for her career in public relations.

[Not Showtime, but looked good]

"Samurai 7," 9:30 p.m. Saturday, IFC: A futuristic, anime version of Akira Kurosawa's classic "Seven Samurai." In this moody, beautifully realized outer-space version of the Japanese film, destitute farmers trying to defend themselves from mechanized raiders hire samurai warriors to help their village.
Old 03-31-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the free preview is available on Comcast in Boston too...
Old 03-31-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting the free showtime preview on my SD station, but not in HD (it says to call to order it still). I might give the cableco (Charter) a call and see if I can get the preview in HD as well, it's worth a shot.
Old 04-03-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Time Warner shut off the preview this morning. I thought I had one more day.
Old 04-03-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You should have had one more day. DirecTV's free preview is still going.

Call them and see what they say.
Old 04-03-06, 04:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I enjoyed the 2 episodes of Weeds that I saw.
Love huff, and tivoed Alfie.