Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Blow-Up censored DVD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-30-06, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is old news, but I just recently found out through this link: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...p-censored.htm that the version I have of Blow-Up is censored. Now, can anyone confirm that the Region 2 has the shot of Vanessa Redgrave intact as in the original version? I'm also slightly confused since the link also presents blurring on the pubic area during the menage-a-trois but that is intact on my copy, no censoring there, only on the first screenshot presented.

Please let me know how this compares with non-region 1 dvds.

By the way, this totally sucks! There's plenty of nudity elsewhere in the movie, so why censor this? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 03-31-06, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Region 4 is uncut (although out of print), no idea about region 2.
Old 03-31-06, 10:32 AM

I have the region 2 UK version. There is no blurring on the "ménage-a-trois" scene but Vanessa is cropped. I'm not sure why. Maybe that scene was shot at the academy ratio and needed to be cropped to 1.85:1 but the "ménage-a-trois" scene was shot at 1.85:1? That would explain why Vanessa's shot appears complete on the VHS version (open matte) but the "ménage-a-trois" scene is cropped to 4:3.
Old 03-31-06, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by steelpotato
Region 4 is uncut (although out of print), no idea about region 2.
Have you seen the Region 4 DVD and can confirm that the Vanessa Redgrave shot is intact as it appears on the link?
Old 04-01-06, 06:59 AM

I have the region 4 dvd myself, definitely uncut. Also has the mime scene which I heard was cut at the end of the region 1.
Old 04-01-06, 02:29 PM

Thanks, steelpotato! Damn, off I go trying the get ahold of Region 4.
Old 04-01-06, 03:05 PM

Hey, steelpotato, I forgot by the way: If you knew by any chance where I could begin to look for this, I'd appreciate it. I tried several retail stores for Region 4 dvds and none of them have it available. Anyway, seeing as it's OOP, I may be out of luck here.
Old 04-01-06, 08:24 PM

I'm confused because the dvdbeaver page says that only the R1,4 is censored and that the R1 isn't. polietilen, do you have the R1 or the R1,4 that's mentioned on the dvdbeaver page?
Old 04-04-06, 11:15 AM

Souvenir, my copy only shows a R1 coding, so I assumed everything was OK. But as I checked on the disc, sure enough the scene was censored as shown in the link. Since Deus confirmed this was the case also for R2, I think this is just another case of appointed censors trying to choose what's right for them. This behaviour is really irksome, and specially in this case where the movie has instances of nudity in other scenes. Also, this is a flat-out amazing movie, coming from such an intelligent filmaker such as Antonioni, so it's not like the framing issue isn't essential for the scenes. Also, it's been said that the OAR is 1.66, so it can be that the movie it's just cropped, but since steelpotato confirms that the R4 has the shot intact, then I figure they just zoomed the image on that scene.

Again, if somebody knows where I can get a R4 copy, or if somebody is willing to sell or trade one, let me know, please?
Old 04-04-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Originally Posted by steelpotato
I have the region 4 dvd myself, definitely uncut. Also has the mime scene which I heard was cut at the end of the region 1.
I didn't realize the mime scene was cut from the region 1 release. I actually have the region 1 but haven't watched it yet. Well, I've seen the movie before, just haven't watched the DVD yet. I'll have to check on that.
Old 04-05-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine says R1 on the back, but the DVD is actually R1/R4 and is NOT censored...
Old 04-06-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I didn't realize the mime scene was cut from the region 1 release.
I don't have the disc, but I would be very surprised if they cut the most famous scene from the movie. Sounds like a silly rumor to me.
Old 04-06-06, 03:09 PM

I don't have the disc (it was a local library loan), but I seem to recall the mime scene at end was there.
Old 04-07-06, 07:47 AM

I've started looking around DVD stores for people here, but no luck yet (sorry, I'm not going to part with my own - film is too good)
Old 04-12-06, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the effort, steelpotato. And by the way, I wasn't thinking that you'd part with your copy anyway, I was guessing you must appreciate the movie as much as I do!

Also, I checked on the dvd for the mime scene and it's there, all of it, unless you refere to something else that the mimes do (SPOILER ALERT) besides driving around to the tennis court and the two of them simulating they're playing whilst the others watch. (END OF ALERT)

What I gather from these last few comments is that basically the only thing that is different from the region 4 dvd is the Vanessa Redgrave standing barechested scene

Last edited by polietilen; 04-12-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 01:22 PM

BLOW UP has always had differences in the aspect ratios and Vanessa Redgrave's scene. If you can find a copy of Doug Pratt's LASER DISC GUIDE from a while back, he did a comparison of various LD versions to talk about the framing of the topless scene. It was matted out of the Criterion laserdisc, but the full frame MGM version had it intact. When I saw a 16mm print in college, it was matted out (so I would assume that is the proper ratio).

So, it isn't censorship, just a difference in matting.
Old 04-12-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by moviezzz
BLOW UP has always had differences in the aspect ratios and Vanessa Redgrave's scene. If you can find a copy of Doug Pratt's LASER DISC GUIDE from a while back, he did a comparison of various LD versions to talk about the framing of the topless scene.
http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=24139

We apologize for the following, but there is a discrepancy in Voyager's Blowup, and it involves Vanessa Redgrave's breasts. Now this may sound juvenile, but one of the film's subjects is fashion photography, and a prurient interest in the uninhibited lifestyle of the hero is a contributing factor in the decision to purchase the disc by many consumers. It was, in fact, an emphasis of the original advertising campaign for the film itself. Anyway, Voyager's disc is letterboxed with an aspect ratio of about 1.85:1, masking some of the upper and lower portions of the image. When Redgrave first removes her shirt, there is a brief glimpse of her right breast that is cropped out of the scanned, full television screen MGM/UA CLV version, but several shots later, when Redgrave first turns to peck David Hemmings, there is a full frontal view of her chest on the MGM/UA disc that is almost entirely lopped off the bottom of the picture on the Voyager's presentation.