Veronica Mars -- "The Rapes of Graff" -- 03/29/06

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Veronica Mars -- "The Rapes of Graff" -- 03/29/06

"The Rapes of Graff" Episode #216.
Spoiler:
Veronica's ex-boyfriend turns to her for help when he is accused of date rape.

Cast: Kristen Bell, Percy Daggs III, Teddy Dunn, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Tessa Thompson, Kyle Gallner, Ryan Hansen , Michael Muhney, Daran Norris, Einat Tubi , Jessy Schram, Amanda Noret, Rick Peters, Linda Castro, Michael Cera, Aaron Ashmore, Kip Martin, Charlie Koznick.
Director(s): Michael Fields.
Producer(s): Joel Silver, Rob Thomas.
Writer(s): John Enbom.

Original Airdate: March 29, 2006.
Old 03-29-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget that this episode will feature special guests from "Arrested Development".
Old 03-29-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Don't forget that this episode will feature special guests from "Arrested Development".
Of course, they couldn't get both Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat in the same scene to interact with each other. Heck, I'd have taken a "hello" between the two.

This was a better episode than the last couple of eps. Anyone think the serial rapist is a setup for next season? (And then I looked at the title of the episode...)

Next Week:
Spoiler:
Veronica flashes the shocker!!

Last edited by DGibFen; 03-29-06 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Dad, your hooker's here!"

Haha.

It was nice to see Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat from Arrested Development in this episode.

Anyhow, loved the "18 - It's Legal" flyer that Keith and the guy with with a crazy deep radio voice gave to Lamb.

So now they have placed Wallace at Hearst College for next season, and we have to assume that VM will also find her way stuck in Neptune by some strange twist of fate that will make sense.

I almost felt bad for Logan losing Hannah...almost.

The rest of stuff with the rape case on the campus was okay, but I wanted more of the macro-mystery stuff, and they only touched upon it at the very end with Danny Boy having access to C4 because he works construction.
Old 03-29-06, 09:08 PM

Tuesdays at 8...nothing says were trying to drown a show like putting it up vs idol and the unit!
Old 03-29-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean up against "The Unit" and "House, M.D." and "Scrubs/Teachers" and "Sons and Daughters" and whatever's on the WB.
Old 03-29-06, 10:37 PM

This was a really funny episode...Michael Cera had some absolute Arrested Development moments though (not to say I didn't mind, because i DIDN'T). It was like watching Arrested Development and Veronica Mars at the same time (a.k.a. being in heaven)!
Old 03-29-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neatMCsammer
This was a really funny episode...Michael Cera had some absolute Arrested Development moments though (not to say I didn't mind, because i DIDN'T). It was like watching Arrested Development and Veronica Mars at the same time (a.k.a. being in heaven)!
I wonder if this signals some chance that we'll see at least him back on the show next year a time or two. The show could definitely do worse, and I think we should have every reason to believe that the cast will undergo a makeover next season like it did this season.
Old 03-30-06, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better than average second season episode. The dialogue was witty and the show moved fast enough although I still missed Weevil. It was yet another episode that ended with Veronica discovering information about a peripheral character I did not recognize. I hope they keep Michael Cera because he made more of an impression on me than nearly all of the new characters introduced this season. I certainly hope the mystery for next season is not about a serial rapist.

Last edited by cmleidi; 03-30-06 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Bad: My desire to kill Logan and the ending.... it felt tacked on and counted on me remembering things that happened way too long ago. I got nothing. The gaps in programming really hurt this show. I wonder if it will play much better on DVD.

The Good: Everything else. There was Troy (I had no idea he was coming back and I really liked him) and Daddy Mars and Cliff and Lamb and a hooker and an unsolved story and Super Sassy Veronica and tasers and Arrested Development kids. Good stuff.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-30-06 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved this episode especially the poster "18 - It's Legal" poster and the taser.

Nice to see Michael Cera and Alia Shawkat on Veronica Mars, even better that Michael kept his "George Michael" mannerism on the show.
Old 03-30-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to nitpick, but when the hooker told Keith and Cliff that a man paid her to get the briefcase but she didn't know his name, shouldn't they at least have asked her what he looked like? Granted there could be some video in the parking lot, but it seemed like a blatant question not to ask.

Loved Keith's note re: "puzzling errand". Funny stuff.

I love Cliff. I wish he was a regular character.

As for the show, I was under the impression that (BIG SPOILER...SORT OF):

Spoiler:
there would be a death. I've read various places that a secondary character was going to die this episode. With all the reshuffling, maybe it was delayed
Old 03-30-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by neatMCsammer
Ok, now this makes a lot more sense. I didn't know who Cera was, so after he showed up for the 3rd or 4th time I thought somehow Veronica was going to pin the rapes on him. Of course It didn't make any sense, but there didn't seem to be much choice, between him getting so much screen time, no other possible suspects presented, and Veronica always getting her man. It was either him or someone who never spoke a line the entire show.

Also I take it that Alia Shawkat was the girl who got raped? That would explain why they did the hair in the fan scene, because otherwise it served little purpose.

Overall it was a good episode this week, even though the lack of resolution on the mystery of the week front was disappointing. I especially liked the scene with Veronica in the hallway talking about coping with roofie rape. Until that point it had slipped my mind that Veronica had a similar experience.
Old 03-30-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll make the recommendation, if you haven't seen Arrested Development, do yourself a favor and go rent/buy the season box sets for AD. There were 3 seasons of the show, 2 seasons on DVD so far.
Old 03-30-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and in the finale (or maybe the episode before that) there's even a vm reference. it got bleeped and had a subtitle saying "reference to off-network high school private eye drama censored by FOX"
Old 03-30-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
what couldve been macro blocked out on the banner in the hallway of the college, what is up with that...
Old 03-30-06, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by cmleidi
I certainly hope the mystery for next season is not about a serial rapist.
From what ive heard, it will be. Thats why VM didn't 'solve' this case.
Old 03-30-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I think the story was "a mystery", not "the mystery".
Old 03-31-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell65
Tuesdays at 8...nothing says were trying to drown a show like putting it up vs idol and the unit!
It will be at 9:00 AFAIK, setting up the Gilmore Girls-Veronica Mars combo next season.
Old 03-31-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It will be at 9:00 AFAIK, setting up the Gilmore Girls-Veronica Mars combo next season.
That depends on where you are.

The important part is the competition. It's a pretty nasty group of shows.
Old 03-31-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What sort of weird message would it be sending if "George Michael" turns out to be "Maebe's" rapist?
Old 03-31-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But she did solve the case (in terms of the show)...It wasnt to find the rapist, but to clear Troy.
Old 03-31-06, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
But she did solve the case (in terms of the show)...It wasnt to find the rapist, but to clear Troy.
Rob Thomas stated if VM gets a 3rd season, she will continue to the mystery of the rapist. She obviously will be going to Neptune College (or whatever it was called)
Old 03-31-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
That depends on where you are.

The important part is the competition. It's a pretty nasty group of shows.
It is far better than the current competition: Lost, American Idol results show, Law and Order
Old 03-31-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rob Thomas stated if VM gets a 3rd season, she will continue to the mystery of the rapist. She obviously will be going to Neptune College (or whatever it was called)
Hearst College. At least they didn't pull a Buffy and call it UC-Neptune.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.