Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks vs. Lost....

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks vs. Lost....

Old 03-27-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twin Peaks vs. Lost....

Thought I had the other day while listening to someone bitch about Lost.

I've never seen an episode of Lost, but I am familiar with Twin Peaks....just going off of what I hear a lot of people I know say, they are kinda getting tired of the drawn out story line of Lost....basically, everyone wants to know why they are or what is on the island, correct? Will this show suffer/is it suffering from the same problem that Twin Peaks did? Once the mystery was solved everyone tuned out. From what I understand, the two series seem to follow the same pattern...weird set up, and the unexplained ensues, and the stories just continue. From what I understand viewership has already dropped off, just wondering if this may be the cause of it.
Old 03-27-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Where as Twin Peaks had the issue of revealing everything and having nowhere to go, Lost has a problem where it could reveal everything, but then the entire issue of them getting off the island would exist, in addition to a complete possible situation with the island "natives", unless it were a prolonged Twilight Zone episode.

The problem is some people want more information, and this season seems to have a lot of filler to pad the series to more seasons. The characters aren't really developing and the story keeps stalling.. but it's still a great show.. But it definitely needs to progress. The big thing that is missing, is the mystery. Season 1 had a wonderful tone, and progressed phenomenally, answering and bringing upon more questions every week - you never knew where it was going to go next. That's all but missing from many episodes this season, and I think that's whats hurting the show the most.

Overall though, it's a great show with huge potential (still), will just have to see where it goes for the rest of this year and all of next.

And yes, the show has been losing viewers steadily (started at 23m, hit a low of 16m last week), though I blame this less on the show and more on ABCs erratic scheduling, you damn near need a PHD to keep track of it and the patience of a saint to tolerate it.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-27-06 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am one who liked both Twin Peaks and Lost. After they revealed who killed Laura Palmer there was no where to go because they didnt have anything else developed to go with. Lost introduces so many mysteries and draws them out to the point that they don't move the plot forward. They said they would move things more reapidly this year because people were frustrated last year but they haven't. I am surprised more people haven't abandoned the show before now.
Old 03-27-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I am one who liked both Twin Peaks and Lost. After they revealed who killed Laura Palmer there was no where to go because they didnt have anything else developed to go with.
I diasagree. The Laura Palmer mystery just scratched the surface of the mythology of that show. There were all sorts of secrets in that town and in the dark forest. The second season raised all sorts of questions, which sadly were never answered (because the show got cancelled.)

I was always bummed that the movie they did was a prequel and not a wrap-up to the show's second season cliffhanger.
Old 03-28-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I was always bummed that the movie they did was a prequel and not a wrap-up to the show's second season cliffhanger.
I should know this, but how was the second season's finale a cliffhanger? I thought they had that bizarre dream sequence that answered a lot of things. Without S2 on DVD, I only have S1 as a point of reference.

I do agree with you regarding your points on the vast unexplored mythology of the scenario Twin Peaks had the potential to explain. There were TONS of unexamined angles to that show.
Old 03-28-06, 08:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Twin Peaks = Making it up as they went along, creating clues that led nowhere just to be "weird" and different.

Lost = has a clear direction, clues introduced in one season have a payoff down the line.
Old 03-28-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Twin Peaks didn't make it because it was too "out there" for most people. It wouldn't be successful today either on network TV. Maybe cable. See Carnivale for a current comparison. It didn't last very long either.

Although Lost has it's mysteries, the characters are all normal people who are easy to identify with. That was not the case with Twin Peaks where every character was quirky in some, or many, ways.
Old 03-28-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I diasagree. The Laura Palmer mystery just scratched the surface of the mythology of that show. There were all sorts of secrets in that town and in the dark forest. The second season raised all sorts of questions, which sadly were never answered (because the show got cancelled.)

I agree wholeheartedly. The thing for me is I'M STILL INTRIGUED by "Twin Peaks" mysteries nearly 16 years later. I hear the Julie Cruise theme song, I see the Log Lady, and I want to sit back down and binge on 5 straight episodes. Cripes, I see Grace Zabriskie slumming on "Big Love" and I cringe, wondering whether she knows where her Laura is.

Whereas "Lost" stopped holding my attention the moment the guy in the hatch disappeared back into the jungle and has just eddied in a "go nowhere" spiral ever since. I no longer care what happened to Walt. I no longer have any desire to explore the French lady's background. Seeing Jin revert to his asshole-ish ways this last episode and suddenly recant and Anna-Marie reconcile of sorts with Sayid just demonstrates the show's complete lack of forward momentum. All actions are undone. All conflicts flattened. No mysteries are ever, ever solved.

What I wouldn't give for a series of well-written novels picking up where "Twin Peaks" left off - knowing as I do that 99.999% of all tie-in novels are hackjobs written for lowest common denominator. It's too late to revisit that town in any sort of filmed way. The show would need Agent Cooper and Donna and Bobby and Madeleine and Audrey - all those actors that have moved on to other projects.
Old 03-28-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
See Carnivale for a current comparison. It didn't last very long either.
No, "Carnivale" failed because it was about as boring as watching a second coat of paint dry. Not expertly paced as some would claim. There was more intrigue and mystery in the opening title sequence of "Carnivale" than there ever was in the actual show.
Old 03-28-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Twin Peaks = Making it up as they went along, creating clues that led nowhere just to be "weird" and different.

Lost = has a clear direction, clues introduced in one season have a payoff down the line.
How can you make such a comparison? "Twin Peaks" was cut off before any of those supposedly quirky clues got explored. "Lost" hasn't answered anything yet and you get the sense from watching the show that one tightly plotted half hour could wind up all the so-called "mystery" in one fell swoop.
Old 03-28-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another problem with Lost is that they established the flashback format in Season 1 and have yet to abandon it even though I'd say at least 75% of the flashbacks this year have been mediocre at best. I realize they're sticking with that format at least in part so they don't have to spend the entire episode on the island and God forbid actually move the plot forward, but it's been a major contributor to the nosedive it's taken since about 2/3 of the way through last season.
Old 03-28-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you've got it just exactly backwards. "Twin Peaks" had a completely pre-written story line. It was tight, precise, and completely conceived. It debuted as a midseason replacement, and was intended to have a "half-season" life. Where it went off the rails - according to some - was when the network realized it had an enormous hit and wanted to expand to a full second season. It was at this point - the episodes following the one where the killer was revealed to the town (and to his "host") and ending with the discussion on the nature of evil as the principals walked through the woods - did meander unnecessarily into extraneous areas.

Lost, on the other hand, has had this meandering quality from the start, and the writers are very clearly making it up as they goes along. This they've acknowledged, even saying they could keep going 6-7 seasons. I still find the series mildly enjoyable, though hardly great, but if you're looking for a tight narrative this ain't it.
Old 03-28-06, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by grunter
"Lost" hasn't answered anything yet
Hogwash!
Old 03-28-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been of the opinion that Twin Peaks always seemed like they knew exactly where and how they were going until they actually got there. Then when it was revealed, at least to me, everything that came before felt completely "made up as they went along".
Old 03-28-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Twin Peaks was the best show ever on TV.

I do enjoy lost also. I frankly hope that Jack gets an ass whopin soon though. Hopefully Locke will do it.
Old 03-28-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
Another problem with Lost is that they established the flashback format in Season 1 and have yet to abandon it even though I'd say at least 75% of the flashbacks this year have been mediocre at best. I realize they're sticking with that format at least in part so they don't have to spend the entire episode on the island and God forbid actually move the plot forward, but it's been a major contributor to the nosedive it's taken since about 2/3 of the way through last season.
I agree. The flashbacks have been veryyy boring and I don't know if they have any clear direction penned out.
Old 03-28-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grunter
No, "Carnivale" failed because it was about as boring as watching a second coat of paint dry. Not expertly paced as some would claim. There was more intrigue and mystery in the opening title sequence of "Carnivale" than there ever was in the actual show.
I wouldn't agree with that at all. I never found the show boring, even if, at times, it was slow paced. The first season, like the first act of most stories, is usually a bit slow - with lot's of character introduction & development (which tends to slow things down), and a general sense of "where the hell is this all going?". The second season definitely had a quicker place, and provided more answers than questions.

It's also bit unfair to say it 'failed', especially when it's on a pay per subscription network that many people don't have - and thereby dening many who would have watched it, if they had the chance to even see it - and you're comparing it to a show on a major network that airs for free. There's plenty of folks who'd love to see more of Carnivale.

I would aslo say that Carnivale had more in common with Twin Peaks, than either do with Lost - except for the whole wierd mystery theme.

But back to the original question at hand...No, I don't neccessarily think that's the issue either. I didn't lose interest in Twin Peaks after season 1 when they solved the murder, and quite liked Season 2, too. There was plenty more story that could have been told.

I think the general problem that people are having with Lost, is that they never just give you answers. And when they do give you some, it's not without giving you even more questions - and that, is just very frustrating.
Old 03-28-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I should know this, but how was the second season's finale a cliffhanger? I thought they had that bizarre dream sequence that answered a lot of things. Without S2 on DVD, I only have S1 as a point of reference.
It's been awhile since I saw season 2 also, but some of the things I remember was that Agent Cooper was stuck in the Black Lodge, but his evil doppelganger had replaced him in the outside world: "How's Annie?"

And then there was that big explosion in the bank vault and it wasn't ever revealed who lived or died. I always wondered about my beloved Audrey Horne....
Old 03-28-06, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I think the general problem that people are having with Lost, is that they never just give you answers. And when they do give you some, it's not without giving you even more questions - and that, is just very frustrating.
This is episodic television, so they have to keep the ball rolling somehow. Traditionally, when a show gives us the answers all at once then the series meanders off into random nonsense. For a recent example, see Desperate Housewives.
Old 03-28-06, 11:50 AM
Retired

This is episodic television, so they have to keep the ball rolling somehow. Traditionally, when a show gives us the answers all at once then the series meanders off into random nonsense. For a recent example, see Desperate Housewives.
I think the problem is this season is both that they aren't answering questions as frequently, and aren't bringing up new ones as often either.

In many episodes this season the ball isn't rolling. It's stuck in a pot hole.
Old 03-28-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Twin Peaks was solid all the way through. Windom Earle, who was introduced late in the series, is one of my favorite characters in the series.
Old 03-28-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Twin Peaks was solid all the way through. Windom Earle, who was introduced late in the series, is one of my favorite characters in the series.
I agree that was a great storyline.

And hello, a young Heather Graham!

I am eagerly awaiting Season 2 to finally be released, because I think it might get a critical re-evaluation from many people who wrote it off when the show first aired.

It was hard to follow, especially on Saturday nights and I think a lot of people just gave up after the killer was revealed.

But I watched the whole series about 5 years back and I loved the second season. Watching them all once gives you a greater appreciation and I think the second season has aged well. In many ways, the storytelling laid the ground-work for the deep mythology of the X-Files series.
Old 03-28-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And hello, a young Heather Graham!.... In many ways, the storytelling laid the ground-work for the deep mythology of the X-Files series.
And a young, cross-dressing David Duchovny as DEA Agent Dennis/Denise Bryson.
Old 03-28-06, 05:21 PM

I dunno, you can easily say it's the other way around.
Old 03-28-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look everybody....it's funny Groucho!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.