DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ebay? When did Puerto Rico become part os the USA

Cameron
03-27-06, 10:54 PM
I have my shipping restriced to the United States Only. I ship media mail. Today I get a sale through half.com listing Naguabo, PR 00718-XXXX USA as the shipping address. What gives?

How much should it cost to send a dvd box set media mail to Puerto Rico? Can you even send media mail over there?

I'm thinking I may just refund the buyer if you guys don't have some great answers to this one.

Joe Molotov
03-27-06, 10:58 PM
I think the USPS considers Puerto Rico to domestic since they are in fact part of the US, so the shipping shouldn't cost more.

Joe Molotov
03-27-06, 11:03 PM
Yep, here you go:
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/608.htm#2_0

Definition of "Domestic"

Domestic mail is mail transmitted within, among, and between the United States of America, its territories and possessions, Army post offices (APOs), fleet post offices (FPOs), and the United Nations, NY. For this standard, the term territories and possessions comprises the following:

American Samoa
Manua Island, Swain's Island, Tutuila Island
Baker Island
Guam
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Johnston Atoll
East Island, Johnston Island, North Island,
Sand Island
Kingman Reef
Midway Atoll
Eastern Island, Sand Island, Spit Island
Navassa Island
Northern Mariana Islands, Commonwealth of the
Rota Island, Saipan Island, Tinian Island
Palmyra Atoll
Puerto Rico, Commonwealth of
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Croix Island, St. John Island,
St. Thomas Island
Wake Atoll
Peale Island, Wake Island, Wilkes Island

strife
03-27-06, 11:26 PM
what Joe said.

I belive most of the terroritories have regular zipcodes same as the APO/FPO

X
03-27-06, 11:29 PM
Spit Island?

Mrs. Danger
03-28-06, 12:03 AM
You didn't know Puerto Rico was an American territory?

You can calculate shipping at the usps.com website.

Joe Molotov
03-28-06, 12:10 AM
Spit Island?

You've never heard of Spit Island!!!?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/image.php?u=31289&dateline=1143520228

Yeah, me neither.

Cameron
03-28-06, 01:49 AM
You didn't know Puerto Rico was an American territory?

I knew that. I just find it strange that you can choose not to ship to Alaska or Hawaii, but no choice for Puerto Rico, unless you choose not to send to P.O. Boxes, and so on.

BuddhaWake
03-28-06, 07:46 AM
It should cost pretty much the same. sometimes is cheaper for me to send something back home than it is to one of the neighboring states. For many things PR is considered part of the US. BTW, Naguabo is a pretty small town with great seafood. If ever there check it out.

The Bus
03-28-06, 07:59 AM
Uhh... it's the U.S.

huh?
03-28-06, 08:14 AM
Puerto Ricans are US Citizens. Its part of the US.

Mopower
03-28-06, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure anyone has said this yet but PR is part of the US.

Numanoid
03-28-06, 09:06 AM
Part of the US?

Shouldn't that be "part of the we"?

Tracer Bullet
03-28-06, 09:32 AM
I knew that. I just find it strange that you can choose not to ship to Alaska or Hawaii, but no choice for Puerto Rico, unless you choose not to send to P.O. Boxes, and so on.

Alaska and Hawaii are both much further from the continental U.S. than Puerto Rico.

Brain Stew
03-28-06, 11:14 AM
When did Puerto Rico become part of the USA?

Well, according my research:

On July 25, 1898 , Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States of America with a landing at Guánica. Spain was forced to cede Puerto Rico, along with Cuba and the Philippines, to the United States under the Treaty of Paris. In 1917, the Jones-Shafroth Act approved by the United States Congress granted Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship so that they could be recruited as soldiers for WWI. Finally, Puerto Rico adopted a constituion in 1952 giving the government there the name "commonwealth."

As for Ebay, I've never heard of that land formation.

WallyOPD
03-28-06, 11:39 AM
How come we didn't use the Puerto Rican players in the WBC? :mad:

huzefa
03-28-06, 11:44 AM

This doesn't make any sense. Alaska and Hawaii are both part of the US; why would you choose not to send stuff there? It's not like you have to fill out a separate customs form or anything.

The Bus
03-28-06, 12:04 PM
If anyone is still confused, I can send them a 4th grade geography book and a 5th grade history book to make everything clear.

kms_md
03-28-06, 12:15 PM
in my auctions i spell out "continental united states only" for shipping.

Joe Molotov
03-28-06, 12:16 PM
When did Puerto Rico become part of the USA?

Well, according my research:

On July 25, 1898 , Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States of America with a landing at Guánica. Spain was forced to cede Puerto Rico, along with Cuba and the Philippines, to the United States under the Treaty of Paris. In 1917, the Jones-Shafroth Act approved by the United States Congress granted Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship so that they could be recruited as soldiers for WWI. Finally, Puerto Rico adopted a constituion in 1952 giving the government there the name "commonwealth."

As for Ebay, I've never heard of that land formation.

Just think how much trouble it would have saved us if we'd kept Cuba, instead of granting it independence and just keeping Gitmo. I mean, you've never heard of the Puerto Rican Missle Crisis, have you?

OldDude
03-28-06, 12:57 PM
Just think how much trouble it would have saved us if we'd kept Cuba, instead of granting it independence and just keeping Gitmo.

We used to have a puppet dictator there but he lost the revolution. Now we have a remarkably uncooperative dictator, instead.

BuddhaWake
03-28-06, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry but no one granted independence to Cuba even if American history books say so, the cubans fought the spanish for a number of years and after the US invaded and took controll Cuba was forced to accept the US demands (Platt amendment) before they were to become truelly independent. Cuba's constitution estipulated that the US could go in there whenever it pleased and they did in 1901 and 1906 if I remember correctly. The reason why cuba wasn't kept was that Cuba had a large black population that didn't convince many americans and also because there was a lot of pressure to give them their independence because they fought. Also Puerto Rico even to this date was and has been a strategic point militarily and economically speaking (proximity to the Panama Canal as US territory) and that's why the US govemernment has never felt the need to honestly address the status of Puerto Rico as a colony. A colony because it was invaded as was written above. The political party ELA which is described as comomwealth party was established in the early '50 after its founder really saw the the US had no intention to have an independent PR. So it is really in that point that Puerto Rico takes the shape that it is in today. Bellow are two recent news article from BBC. if anyone is interested: (from the last 2 weeks)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4828116.stm

Court denies Puerto Rico US vote

The US Supreme Court has rejected an attempt to give residents of the territory of Puerto Rico the right to vote in US presidential elections.
Judges threw out the appeal by a group of Puerto Ricans - the latest development in a long-running debate on the islanders' constitutional rights.

Puerto Rico, which is not a state, has been administered by the US since 1898.

Although residents cannot vote in presidential elections, they do elect a delegate to the US Congress.

However their representative does not vote, except in committees.

Attorney Gregorio Igartua, who filed the appeal, said the citizens of Puerto Rico "have been unfairly treated" for more than a century.

He complained that residents have "an inferior type of American citizenship."

Referendum

Correspondents say the argument about Puerto Rico's status is coming to a head following a report by the Bush administration into the issue.

In December, a presidential task force recommended that Congress call a referendum on the island's status as a self-governing US commonwealth.

A "Yes" vote would trigger another vote on whether to make Puerto Rico independent or the 51st US state.

Opinion polls suggest there is little support for independence. Only a few islanders voted in favour of independence in the latest of a series of referendums in 1998.

However, islanders are split over whether to keep their current status or become a US state.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4851056.stm

A recent White House report on the question of the political status of the US colony of Puerto Rico could open the way for a possible change, after more than a century.

Puerto Rico is questioning it ties with the United States

Puerto Rico was invaded by the United States in 1898 and has remained a US territory ever since. But some islanders are now demanding independence, others want Puerto Rico to become a US state - still others believe it should remain a US colony.

Cuba's leader Fidel Castro has long argued for Puerto Rico to be given its independence. And the arrival of the recent visit of the Cuban baseball team to the island further fuelled the debate:

The international tournament of baseball, the World Baseball Classic took place on Puerto Rico amid great fanfare. Yet this American game being played on American soil, was also being played by an enemy of the United States.

Cuba and Puerto Rico are Latino brothers, and Puerto Ricans were among those here cheering on the Cuban team.

They're both former Spanish colonies that share the same language culture and history - even similar flags - but are now politically poles apart.

The United States is fighting a war in Iraq for democracy and right here we have people without the right to vote for the president of the United States

Protestor

The Cuban team was banned from talking politics but still Pedro Cabrerra, the Cuban team's spokesman, cannot resist a dig at his hosts:

"The politics that are being applied is the politics of the powerful against the poor," he says.

It's the kind of rhetoric associated with Castro's Cuba - but even here it strikes a chord.

On airwaves, Puerto Ricans like Ignacio Ribero - the host of Crossfire on Radio Isla - are now vigorously debating their own relationship with the United States.

Inspired by Castro

"Every Latino admires Fidel Castro because he has had the bravery or madness to face an empire that can wipe him out in 20 seconds and he has done that for 40 years and he's still around," he says.

US invaded Puerto Rico during 1898 Spanish-American War
Puerto Ricans do not pay US income tax, but island gets federal funds
Run as a self-governing commonwealth, but President Bush is head of state

"So he has a deep admiration in the psyches of Puerto Ricans because all of us would like to have a little of Fidel Castro.

Out in demonstrations on the streets, some Puerto Ricans are already demanding full independence.

In part they're inspired by Castro's revolutionary fervour - he, too, has called for an end to American occupation.

But there's also home grown resentment. Increasingly vocal demonstrations are evidence of a growing anger and resentment by Puerto Ricans, directed at the mainland.

But opinion is divided amongst those on one side who argue for full independence and those on the other, who want statehood, for Puerto Rico to be the 51st state of the US.

Many of those Puerto Ricans who are proud of being American citizens are also ashamed that their country continues to deprive them full voting rights.

As one demonstrator said: "The United States is fighting a war in Iraq for democracy and right here we have people without the right to vote for the president of the United States."

'True injustice'

That sense of injustice is tangible at the island's war memorial in San Juan.

Some 2,000 islanders have died fighting for the United States

In front of a fountain, engraved in stone are the names of hundreds of Puerto Ricans who've died fighting for the United States - in wars from Europe to Vietnam and most recently Iraq.

Kenneth McClintock is the president of the island's Senate and a leading advocate for Puerto Rico to be made a US state.

"When you see behind us over 2,000 names of Puerto Ricans who served in the US armed forces and were the only members of the armed forces that were not allowed to vote for the commander-in-chief and served in wars that were declared by a congress at which we don't have representation.

"Here's where you can actually see the true injustice."

Back at the baseball, few Puerto Rican's envy the lives of their Cuban brothers.

Yet Puerto Rico is now questioning its ties with the United States. Is America prepared to allow a Latino island to become the 51st state, or even let Puerto Rico go its own way?

Some of the latest animositites have been because of the FBI handleling of a death:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4287118.stm

Cusm
03-28-06, 01:54 PM
What would be the difference in PR becoming a state vs. staying a Common Wealth? Voting in presidential elections, a real congressman and 2 senators; is that it?

X
03-28-06, 02:03 PM
I think all the drug companies would leave the island due to U.S. taxes being imposed.

huzefa
03-28-06, 02:47 PM
in my auctions i spell out "continental united states only" for shipping.

Why? It costs exactly the same to send a priority mail package to AK/HI as it does to send one across the street.
Next people will be saying, "shipping within the Northeast only".

BuddhaWake
03-28-06, 03:59 PM
What would be the difference in PR becoming a state vs. staying a Common Wealth? Voting in presidential elections, a real congressman and 2 senators; is that it?

A couple of things, some would be unkown until is defined. If PR became a state most if not all pharmasutical companies would leave due to taxes even though the PR government stopped giving the tax breaks they used to give a number of years ago. besides tourism this is the largest industry as farming was left behind in favor of industrilization with the development of ELA. The US would have to pump even more money into the new state as there would be many things that would have to be brought up to a certain standard for the US. Also Puerto Rico would become the poorest state passing alabama, while poverty might not be seen in comparison to some of the countries around, poverty is quite high especially affecting children and elderly just like in many places in the US. there is a large "middle" class but this middle class would not compare to that of the US in amount of money earned etc. unemployment, crime and health care would need to be targeted even more as they are inmensly high in the island. Also issues with identity and cultural definition would need to be addressed. Puerto Rico has two official languages Spanish and English and during the Rosello years, government documents have been changed to both languages. As of now Puerto Rico cannot due any international treaties with other countries, everything is done by the US. Although there are some instances where the previous government made deals with Venezuela for oil and with the dominican replubic to provide dairy products. There are also many "Puertorican" interested that would want to have PR become a state. These include a large population of cuban that have called the island home since fleeing cuba when Castro took over. They have a lot of capital and financial power just like the cuban americans in Miami. There are a lot of historical factors that might deter certain groups in PR (even a small pro-statehood groups) from voting for statehood. and that is that many in the island feel that they are second class US citizens and even as a state would not be considered total americans due to language, difference in culture, ideocincrezies (sp) etc.

Many people think that the US gave us the gift of citizenship and that's not the case, many died for it, the US has a history of doing thing that are more than questionable in the island such as sterelization for women to prevent "overpopulation", the assasination and persecution of political rivals (militant or not), which also include experimentation with nuclear waste to Pedro Albizu Campos and others. Forced migration especially in the island of vieques and the destruction of the island's (vieques) eco-system and economy. Also if you thing that the mainland has problems with the borders, there are thouthands of ilegal immigrants on the island and the US would have to deal with that. Also, the large population of dominicans could become a large political voice (more than likely pro-statehood) which means that the US would have to get more involved in the politics of the DR. Also, racism is still a big issue for both sides, so convincing the mainland US to give the island statehood would be a lot more difficult that imagined since most people in the US have a negative view of us.

The island would get two senators and elections for president but even this is not a big issue for those in power (in US) since they already go downthere to get money. kerry was down there a few days ago in a fund raiser in someone's rich house and was going to do another one with the opossition. This means that they could go downthere, get a lot of money by making people think that they care about the island and its people and would do something when they got back to the mainland. they go to bed with both sides and go home with a lot of money and do nothing, since they can't give you votes why care? its sad really.

Independence would have to be gradual (if the US elected it, but in reality all terms would be dictated or could be dictated by the US so in essnce they could pull everything out in one day, just like pulling the plug on a fill bathtub) In all honesty what the puertorican vote for does not matter to congress since non of it is binding. They have referendums every ten years and they are not binding so its really an opinion poll that gets the political parties down threre riled up. If independent, Puerto Rico would struggle, I'm sure of it but we would still have a strong relationship to the US as partners not in a parenting role and we would still be able to maybe bring capital and industries from other places. Ireland already has an embasy there I'm sure a lot of European countries would invest or maybe the island would be able to develope a different breed of economy or even be able to persue tourism in a different way. Maybe inport certain things.

reality has to be faced eventually, Congress and others have shown contempt of the island on amy occasions, latest one seen last week, so it becomes more and more obvious that what the islanders want doesn't mean the US will grant it. The other reality is that the island has ben a colony for over 500 years. first spanish and secondly american. Many puertoricans have died for this country in many wars but they don't even count them as US troops kiiled (in Iraq) and this means that we could be like a kid growing into maturedhood but doing a lot of stupid stuff and even fucking up once in a while. We already do as coruption is not unequal that of third world countries even though we are a "second" world country and if independent it could really grow to astronomical. These are fears many of us have, as to how bad it could become as we have nothing but possible models around us especially when we have been able to maintain above water for some time. Is a really complicated subject and issue that has many possibilities and unkowns. I tried here to give a very small and incoherent understanding without putting as much of my politics into it but I'm sure some have slipped by.

Gallant Pig
03-28-06, 04:24 PM
Why? It costs exactly the same to send a priority mail package to AK/HI as it does to send one across the street.

Priority yes, but if you prefer sending via UPS or FEDEX you get raped on shipping charges to AK or HI. Priority doesn't have a tracking number so that's why many people won't use it.

candyrocket786
03-28-06, 05:20 PM
I've shipped items to PR w/o any problem via the USPS.

If the buyer is paying for the shipping... there shouldn't be any problem.

obscurelabel
03-28-06, 05:43 PM
Alaska and Hawaii are both much further from the continental U.S. than Puerto Rico.

Well, it depends of course.

Vancouver, WA to Juneau, AK = 1,101 miles
Vancouver, WA to San Juan, PR = 3,712 miles
San Diego, CA to Honolulu, HI = 2,611 miles
San Diego, CA to San Juan, PR = 3,299 miles

By the way, Puerto Rico is part of the US.

PopcornTreeCt
03-28-06, 11:02 PM
Well, it depends of course.

Vancouver, WA to Juneau, AK = 1,101 miles
Vancouver, WA to San Juan, PR = 3,712 miles
San Diego, CA to Honolulu, HI = 2,611 miles
San Diego, CA to San Juan, PR = 3,299 miles

By the way, Puerto Rico is part of the US.

That's not how you would measure it.

namja
03-30-06, 05:54 PM
That's not how you would measure it.
Hence the "it depends" ...

Um ... not exactly. It costs the same if it's under one pound or if you use the flat rate envelope. Otherwise the costs differ significantly. For example:

Priority Mail from my house to New York, NY for a 5 lb. 3 oz. package costs $6.65.
Priority Mail from my house to Honolulu, HI for a 5 lb. 3 oz. package costs $12.95.
Priority Mail from my house to San Juan, Puerto Rico for a 5 lb. 3 oz. package costs $11.90.