DVD Talk
Ever pick up the phone & hear someone you don't know having a FRIGGIN' conversation? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ever pick up the phone & hear someone you don't know having a FRIGGIN' conversation?

The Edit King
03-27-06, 03:29 PM
I was minding my OWN BUSINESS and was gonna use my land line, and when I picked up the phone, I could hear some dude (just under the dial tone sound, so I dialed a few numbers to get rid of said dial tone sound...and I could hear him as clear as day!), and he was talking to his bank of all things (Wells Fargo) and giving out ALL his personal banking information! :eek:

Then some other guy was ordering something, and there was this girl was talking to this other girl, and then another guy was making a payment or whatnot...

IT WAS HORRIBLE!!! :eek: , :eek: & :eek:

...maybe he or she (or someone else somewhere out there in Phoneland) may be able to hear "ME" and my most intimate conversations, and now I don't feel so safe banking or paying bills or even TALKING over the phone anymore!

I recorded some of the conversations and then called the phone company and played a little bit of the tape for them, and the girl I spoke to was so APPALLED she nearly fainted (at what she heard), and said the soonest they could have someone come out to fix it was this Friday!

This Friday??? :eek:

WHAT THE FOO-MAN-CHOO???

SUCK-SHANK!!! -ohbfrank-

It's always SOMETHIN'... -rolleyes-

THEEK! :eek:

Mopower
03-27-06, 03:46 PM
It's called crosstalk. It means that your line is crossed (who would have thought with the name crosstalk right?)with someone elses line. It happens. The phone co will fix it.

The Edit King
03-27-06, 03:48 PM
...but can they hear me the same way I can hear them??? :eek:

The Edit King
03-27-06, 03:56 PM
Don't trust phones. Better yet, don't trust anything or anyone.AMEN TO THAT! :up:

I HEAR ya, Brother!

(...what the... :eek: )

...oh, oh...

I HEAR OTTER PEOPLE!!! :eek:

Mopower
03-27-06, 04:38 PM
...but can they hear me the same way I can hear them??? :eek:

Probably not. Other wise your phone would ring when theirs does. And I'm sure when you cleared dial tone on your phone he would have heard it on his if he could hear your line.

mrpayroll
03-27-06, 04:41 PM
Paul, you would have self destructed back in the 40's & 50's, what with mandatory 'party lines' -ohbfrank-

Chris

The Edit King
03-27-06, 04:49 PM
I know what you mean, but it was HORRIBLE!!! :eek:

It doesn't happen hardly ever! :eek:

Well, NEVER like this. I mean it was as loud & clear as if I was talking to you on the phone! :eek:

I might have night terrors tonight because of it! :eek:

THOSE VOICES!!! :eek:

THOSE HORRIBLE VOICES!!! :eek:

Spooky stuff, Indeed! :eek:

RunBandoRun
03-27-06, 05:18 PM
When I was in high school, you used to be able to call the number for the time & temperature and then stay on the line afterward to talk on a "party line." Basically, anybody who called in could stay on and chat with all these folks who called in for the same reason.

The bank that financed the time & temp line eventually fixed the service so that after the recording, you got a busy signal. But for a few golden months there in '79 & '80, you could enjoy all the benefits (?) of an Internet chat room, years before it existed.

The time & temp line eventually went away after more than 50 years in operation. People actually look at their watches now. :sigh:

Mopower
03-27-06, 05:27 PM
The time & temp line eventually went away after more than 50 years in operation. People actually look at their watches now. :sigh:

Goddamn progress. :mad:

sash
03-27-06, 07:59 PM
This has happened to me also--I picked up the phone and there was this chick breaking up with her boyfriend. It was hilarious, he kept pleading that he will change.