Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Velvet Revolver gonna release another album?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-26-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any news? Are they broken up?
Old 03-26-06, 08:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere the other day that the are working on a new album currently. Can't recall where it was off the top of my head though. Think it was in USA Today, but not sure.
Old 03-26-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't think it was just a one album pairing and considering how successful it was they will definitely have a ton of incentive to release a follow up.
Old 03-26-06, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
god I love Scott Weiland
Old 03-26-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
From what I understand, they're in the process of recording their second cd at the moment.
Old 03-27-06, 11:23 AM

(from blabbermouth)

VELVET REVOLVER drummer Matt Sorum (ex-GUNS N' ROSES) has posted the following message on his official web site regarding the songwriting process for the band's second album:

"Had a great day in Drac Studios [Matt's studio] today [Friday, March 17] working with Duff [McKagan, VELVET REVOLVER bassist] on some songs. We are coming up with some breakthrough stuff. I'm getting excited. One song sounds like a cross between ZEPPELIN and PRINCE. Duff loves PRINCE. Great riff for Slash. Today we did one that is very heavy with a sick groove. With some synth keyboard part. A la a band called REFUSED. Who we all dig."

Duff McKagan told Launch Radio Networks on March 10 that the band will enter the studio on April 10 to begin recording their sophomore album. The group have been preparing songs since coming off the road last year and McKagan says the material is nearly ready to go. "It's real close, you know," he said. "The thing is, we always have way too much material, so it's probably more a matter of just like picking the right ones. It's a quality problem. This second record will be just an exploration, as opposed to like, 'Let's crush it and put it out,' it's gonna be exploration and I think people will really dig it."
Old 03-27-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

refused rules.
Old 03-27-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JacksModernLife
god I love Scott Weiland
How long have you had these (ahem) feelings and do you ever try to supress them?
Old 03-27-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Had a great day in Drac Studios [Matt's studio] today [Friday, March 17] working with Duff [McKagan, VELVET REVOLVER bassist] on some songs. We are coming up with some breakthrough stuff. I'm getting excited.
Just once, just once, I want to hear a band say, "we're doing something totally un-original and it's pretty good"...
Old 04-02-06, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I dug their first album, and will certainly pick up the next. I'm not too thrilled about the synth part, but I'll wait to see how it sounds before criticizing.
Old 04-04-06, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Just once, just once, I want to hear a band say, "we're doing something totally un-original and it's pretty good"...
I would have to agree with you on that one.
Old 04-04-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
Pharrell Collaborating With Velvet Revolver

Despite rumors that Velvet Revolver members Slash and Duff McKagan will rejoin Guns N' Roses for a summer tour, the group is actually at work on its sophomore RCA album with an unlikely collaborator: uber hip-hop producer Pharrell Williams.

Williams is also working with Velvet Revolver frontman Scott Weiland on a song titled "Happy," which will likely appear on Weiland's second solo album. Williams confirmed the projects with Billboard.com but did not reveal additional details.

"With the first record, it was kind of a feeling out process on a technical level," Weiland told Billboard.com in December. "We were sort of bonded by blood in a sense, because we'd gone through very similar circumstances. On this record, I have a real concept in mind. Because of that, it will be a very album-oriented record instead of a singles-driven record."

As for Williams, there's still no word on when his long-delayed Interscope solo debut, "In My Mind," will be released. According to a spokesperson, the artist is still working on the album.

Without giving away specifics, Williams did tell Billboard.com he plans to hit the studio in the coming weeks with Slim Thug, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, Nas and Ludacris.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 04-05-06, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I'm not particularly happy with this news. I'm hoping it's still some solid rock.
Old 04-07-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Velvet Revolver frontman Scott Weiland on a song titled "Happy," which will likely appear on Weiland's second solo album.
Sweet...I didn't know this was coming. Count me as one of the 10 people who loved his first solo album.
Old 04-20-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Velvet Revolver Dive Deeper

Rock supergroup channel "different grooves" for "Libertide"

ONLINE EXCLUSIVE

Velvet Revolver are in the mood to experiment these days, as they dive into pre-production for the follow-up to their 2004 multiplatinum debut, Contraband. The band's branching out more than ever on the new album, tentatively titled Libertide.

"The first one was definitely a rocking, punky, bashing record. We really want to make a deeper album this time," drummer Matt Sorum says of the rock supergroup -- also featuring former Guns N' Roses vets Slash and Duff McKagan, and fronted by former Stone Temple Pilots' singer Scott Weiland. "The other record was more of a collaboration -- now we want to see what everyone brings to the table on their own. It's cool when people come in with an idea without the usual collaborators, 'cause it can totally spark."

Sorum adds that he and McKagan have been going off on their own, "writing a lot of riffs on the road, messing around with all kinds of different grooves, listening to Prince, tripping on stuff." Adding to the funk is hip-hop super-producer Pharrell Williams, recently signed on to work on the release.

Weiland thinks the diverse sounds are starting to come together. "It's going great," he says. "We have about fifty songs. We have to whittle it down, record twenty and then pick about sixteen." But with all the creative decisions left, Sorum thinks new music will hit radio "by the end of the summer."

Meanwhile, Weiland, who was cleared last summer on drug charges stemming from a 2003 arrest after completing a required rehab program, is also teaming with Pharrell for a track called "Happy," set to appear in his next solo album. The embattled rocker also recently inked a deal with Scribner to publish a memoir, Desperation No. 5, that chronicles his rise to rock stardom, his struggle with drugs and his newfound sobriety, due in 2007.

STEVE BALTIN

Posted Apr 18, 2006 4:57 PM
Old 04-20-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Ugh! They were one of the very few bands out there putting out real hard rock. Hopefully that will continue.
Old 04-23-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I absolutely loved Contraband. But when i see the words "experiment" and "Pharrell" in that article, I can't help but think this album is going to be a huge let down.
Old 12-02-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
Velvet Revolver Rediscovers Inspiration On New Album

Hard rock combo Velvet Revolver is eyeing a mid- to late-spring release for its second RCA album. The group is recording in Los Angeles with producer Brendan O'Brien, who stepped in for the band's original choice, Rick Rubin, after that arrangement "did not work out," frontman Scott Weiland tells Billboard.com.

"All of our hopes have even been elevated over the past three weeks," he says. "We were really excited about six months ago, when we first began writing. Then we really kind of flat-lined for a while. We didn't know which way we were going. There was a definite loss of inspiration for a bit there. It has a lot to do with chemistry. Once Brendan came on board, I guess it was kind of like a shot in the arm. It was a new energy."

"We thought we'd just kind of give it a shot and see if Brendan was available, and just by chance, the artist he was supposed to be working with didn't pan out," Weiland offers. "So he was available during the exact time we really needed him. He flew out within a week and it has been amazing. [Bassist] Duff [McKagan] came up to me and said, 'You know, I didn't know what it was like to really have a producer before.'"

And though Weiland told Billboard.com last year he intended to weave an overall concept throughout the album, he has since "thrown that idea out the window. In my opinion, there are so many schlock concept albums that have come out in the past year," he says, without naming names. "The ground is way too over-fertile with concept records. I prefer to write a lean and rather vicious rock'n'roll record. I think that would be a better contribution to rock'n'roll at this moment."

Weiland has also been working on the follow-up to his 199X solo album, "12 Bar Blues," which will be released in late 2007 or early 2008 on his newly launched label, Softdrive Records. The imprint, which is also home to rock act the Actual and country singer/songwriter Tommy Joe Wilson, will go through Sony's RED Distribution, with additional back-end support provided by New West Records.

Weiland's album, which is about three-quarters finished, will include a collaboration with the Neptunes' Pharrell Williams on the song "Happy." The artist is also hoping to do a song with producer Daniel Lanois. "He told me, 'I don't know if I could dive into an entire album right now. But if you write that special song, I'd love to hear that song. I think I could probably wrap my head around that,'" Weiland says.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 12-05-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would love, love, love it if this album could make it out before Chinese Democracy. Two VR albums in three years, while Axl is still farting around with his album--it'd be so funny.
Old 12-05-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I think they should call it "Chinese Theocracy" just to piss Axl off.
Old 12-05-06, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
"... I guess it was kind of like a shot in the arm. It was a new energy."
Well, he would probably know.
Old 12-07-06, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
what is this talk about slash and duff joining axl for a summer tour?????????????????????
Old 12-07-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts
I've heard it three times now. It must be true.
Old 04-17-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have high hopes for this...the first album was a great summer record.
Old 04-17-07, 07:32 PM
Banned

I'm in for this one for sure.