The Simpsons -- "Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife" -- 03/26/06

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The Simpsons -- "Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife" -- 03/26/06

"Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife"
Spoiler:
Homer's obsession with Lenny's new plasma TV prompts Marge to enter the family in a sweepstakes, and they win a trip to the Fox Studio Lot.

Cast: Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith, Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, Pamela Hayden, Ricky Gervais.
Producer(s): James L. Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean.

Original Airdate: March 26, 2006.
Old 03-26-06, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case you didn't know, this episode was written by Ricky Gervais plus he's doing a voice over too.
Old 03-26-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's also the episode where they have a live action intro. That should be interesting.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/eo/20060324/114323400000.html

"The Simpsons" in the Flesh
Friday March 24 1:00 PM ET

By Natalie Finn

Get ready for The Simpsons in living color. Literally.

Viewers will get a glimpse of Springfield's finest in the flesh Sunday when a live title sequence mirroring every frame of the show's classic opening--from Bart's chalkboard musings to Homer's frantic dash through the garage--launches this week's new episode.

U.K. network Sky One produced the bit with British actors taking on the role of the 'toon family. The team has copied the opening down to the last detail, according to Fox spokeswoman Jill Hudson, and "it really is every aspect," she said. (Um, does that include four fingers on each hand?)

ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm just amazed there are people who want to be known for looking like the Simpsons," executive producer Al Jean said in a statement.

We just can't wait to see what happens when they get to the couch.

The sequence has already aired in the U.K. as the centerpiece of Sky One's new Simpsons publicity campaign. England has long been a loyal friend of the family--some of the original animated Simpsons shorts Matt Groening created for The Tracey Ullman Show first aired on the BBC in 1987. The Simpsons has been nominated for a British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Award and it won Best International Comedy at the British Comedy Awards in 2004.

Once the animation kicks in, Sunday's episode, titled "Homer Simpson, This Is Your Wife," will be yet another worldly affair for the well traveled clan as Golden Globe winner Ricky Gervais, the incomparably pompous boss on the British version of The Office, guest stars. Marge and Homer end up living with new mates after Homer signs them up for a Trading Spouses-style reality show. The woeful Charlie (Gervais), whose controlling wife gets to bully Homer for a week, ends up crushing on sweet-tempered Marge.

Gervais also wrote the episode's script.

"I've got the rough idea but this is the most intimidating project of my career," Gervais told the BBC after Groening extended him the invitation in 2004 to pen an episode. "The Simpsons is the greatest show of all time."

Fox signed up Monday for another two seasons of the 21-time Emmy winner, which Time magazine named the best television series of the 20th century. The contract extension ensures the show will be around for a 19th season in 2007-'08, meaning that The Simpsons has taken its twentysomething viewers from grade school to grad school. The longest running and most lauded cartoon in TV history will celebrate its 400th episode in May 2007.

But rather than worry about the tug of time after learning how long The Simpsons and, therefore, you have been around, be comforted by this:

Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie haven't aged a day.
Old 03-26-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm excited to see this ep since it's wwritten by Ricky Gervais.
Old 03-26-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dying to see this, Ricky Gervais is awesome...and the live action opening is brilliant...watched it a few weeks back on the net and was seriously impressed.

MATT
Old 03-26-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
other then the fact that those people look NOTHING like the Simpsons, and the fact that "bart" cant skate, the opening wasnt THAT bad
Old 03-26-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Breakout!
Old 03-26-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"When I woke up, Letterman was talking to Alias."
Old 03-26-06, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Best Simpsons episode in years. From beginning to end.
Old 03-26-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I would tune in to see the live action intro and to give this show another chance since it hasn't been funny in a long while. Well they certainly haven't improved any. One of the dullest half hours of animation I've ever sat through.
Old 03-26-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't find anything Gervais said to be funny tonight.
Old 03-26-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the opening, I thought it was funny how they reversed the shot of "Marge" & "Maggie" in the car, since it was done it the UK with the steering wheel on the opposite side.

I don't know who Ricky Gervais is, but I thought the episode was funny enough.
Old 03-26-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed it. I defintely saw glimpses of The Office in Gervais' character. I loved Homer serenading the plasma at then end.
Old 03-26-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
Best Simpsons episode in years. From beginning to end.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-26-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
not as 'funny' as last week's, which I rather liked. Of course, Gervais and the "British" style of humor is a little dryer, but still.
Old 03-26-06, 10:17 PM

I've rarely seen such detailed character animation as they gave to Gervais' character. He had an amazing amount of physical gestures and facial expressions considering it was a bit character. I thought the episode was passable, but Gervais was funny. I also liked the "Don't Waste Signs" sign.
Old 03-26-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thought the Simpson's have definatly lost their edge. Maybe because I'm watching to much South Park and Family Guy....but I don't get anything out of it anymore.
Old 03-26-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
In the opening, I thought it was funny how they reversed the shot of "Marge" & "Maggie" in the car, since it was done it the UK with the steering wheel on the opposite side.
They also blurred or erased Homer's butt cleavage as he's running into the house from the garage.
Old 03-27-06, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not as good as the past two episodes but it was still worthwhile
Old 03-27-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather disappointing given the Gervais script.
Old 03-27-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't too impressed with the Gervais script...it had a few really funny moments, but overall was pretty standard. Ricky's character was basically David Brent Jr. and not only had character traits almost IDENTICAL, but he had some lines of dialogue that could have been RIPPED from the office... Kind of disappointed he decided to go this route, makes him look like a one trick pony.

MATT
Old 03-27-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Agreed - it seems like it was more a Gervais vehicle co-starring the Simpsons, than a Simpsons episode with a guest-star.
Old 03-27-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Wasn't too impressed with the Gervais script...it had a few really funny moments, but overall was pretty standard. Ricky's character was basically David Brent Jr. and not only had character traits almost IDENTICAL, but he had some lines of dialogue that could have been RIPPED from the office... Kind of disappointed he decided to go this route, makes him look like a one trick pony.

MATT
Pretty much the same thing I was going to say.
Old 03-27-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
"When I woke up, Letterman was talking to Alias."
HATED this week's episode. HATED Ricky Gervais.

But Homer's CSI Miami report was LOL funny! Touring the FOX lot and that grand Mischa Barton statue was nifty.

Last edited by skatefan20; 03-27-06 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 04:17 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of interesting elements and funny ideas, but as a whole it felt like less than the sum of its parts. It was a fresh idea to play off the wife-swapping shows, and it was interesting to see Gervais play a variation of Brent, but the combination just didn't work as well as it should've. If he's going to play a Brent-like character I'd just as soon have them go all out with it and do an Office parody/homage episode where Homer or Marge get a job at some place where Gervais is the boss. If you're going to be self-derivative you might as well make the most of it. Plus I felt the wife-swap show angle could've been played out better with a different family.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.