Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

FRANCO-BELGIAN COMICS Live-action/Animation Movie Database/Reviews

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is a list of the FRANCO-BELGIAN COMICS Live-action/Animation Movies released on DVD with English audio or English subtitles. I will briefly describe the DVD quality of any of the ones that I have seen. Please feel free to add any to the list that I have missed.

TINTIN

Adventures of Tintin: 75th Anniversary Box Set

This PAL DVD boxset from Anchor Bay has 1.33:1 video and has English, French, and Spanish audio. The French and English audio tracks are both excellent and sound like the characters as one pictures when reading the comics. The only extra is a little booklet with Tintin/Herge info included in the box. I'm actually very thankful for this tidbit of info, since it led me to discover and buy online the final incomplete Tintin book TINTIN AND ALPHA ART. These DVDs are also sold individually with 3 episodes per dvd, but it's definitely worth it to just buy the whole boxset. The Boxset includes the animated versions of Herge's:
The Cigars of the Pharaoh
The Blue Lotus
Destination Moon
Explorers of the Moon
The Black Island
King Ottokar's Sceptre
The Red Sea Sharks
Tintin in Tibet
The Broken Ear
The Crab with the Golden Claws
Land of Black Gold
The Castafiore Emerald
The Seven Crystal Balls
Prisoners of the Son
The Calculus Affair
Tintin and the Picaros
Tintin In America
The Shooting Star
Flight 714
The Secret of the Unicorn
Red Rackham's Treasure

DVD VIDEO: 7
DVD AUDIO: 7
EXTRAS: 1
FILM: 8

Les Aventures de Tintin Vol. 1-5 & Vol. 6-10

This NTSC Region 1 Canadian Boxset is the same as above only that the animated version of TINTIN IN AMERICA is not included in this set. I'm not sure if Spanish audio is on this one.

Tintin and the Lake of Sharks

This French PAL has 1.33:1 video and has English, French, German, Dutch and Spanish mono audio.

Tintin and the Golden Fleece

This Swedish PAL has anamorphic video and French mono audio and Swedish subtitles. There are NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES on this DVD, but this movie is like a mixture of Jacque Tati and James Bond. No English subtitles are really needed to enjoy this film - it's very visual and all Tintin fans will love it.
DVD VIDEO: 8
DVD AUDIO: 7
EXTRAS: 0

Tintin and the Blue Oranges

This Swedish PAL has anamorphic video and French mono audio and Swedish subtitles. There are NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES on this DVD.

Herge's Adventures of Tintin

This UK PAL DVD, released at the end of March, includes the animated movies of TINTIN AND THE LAKE OF SHARKS, TINTIN AND THE TEMPLE OF THE SUN, and THE CALCULUS CASE. These versions of TEMPLE OF SUN and THE CALCULUS CASE (based on THE CALCULUS AFFAIR) are original animated movies, not the same ones that are in the Tintin boxsets listed above.The three-disc set will feature Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo audio along with optional Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1.

ASTERIX

Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra

The UK PAL DVD has anamorphic video and French DD 5.1 and English DD 5.1. The English dubbing is awful.
DVD VIDEO: 9
DVD AUDIO: 9 (for French audio)
EXTRAS: 0
FILM: 10

Asterix and Obelix Take on Caesar

This UK PAL DVD has anamorphic video with Dolby Digital Surround 2.0 English only. There is only one trailer for extras.
DVD VIDEO: 7.5
DVD AUDIO: 5
EXTRAS: 1
FILM: 5

Asterix and Obelix Take on Caesar (the photo of Laticia Casta is the only reason to see this bad movie)

This ALL-REGION KOREAN NTSC DVD has full-screen video, French DD 5.1, and French, English and Korean subtitles. The only extras are Cast/Crew info, a trailer, and a featurette on Highlander 2.

Asterix Conquers America
Asterix and the Big Fight
Asterix in Britain
Asterix Versus Caesar
Asterix and Cleopatra
The 12 Tasks of Asterix
Asterix the Gaul

There have been countless PAL Euopean DVDs and Australian DVDs with full-frame video and French audio and English dubbing, but I've seen the VHS tapes of them and they animation/story/flow of all of them are really aren't that great. It's almost an insult to the comic. It's not like the animated Tintin versions which are very tastefully done and represent the Tintin comic very well.

IZNOGOUD

(Note: this is a photo of the French DVD)
This THAI PAL DVD has anamorphic video, French DD 5.1 and English subtitles. The extras are a couple making of featurettes without subtitles, and a trailer. The movie is highly entertaining and René Goscinny's English-translated books are highly rare and practically impossible to find for whoever is interested in reading the books.
DVD AUDIO: 9
EXTRAS: 6

LUCKY LUKE

Lucky Luke TV Series, starring Terrence Hill

These DVDs shown above and many more are NTSC Region 1 DVD with full-frame and English mono.

Lucky Luke Animated Episodes

There have been many Lucky Luke animated DVDs sold in the USA and in Europe with full-screen video and English audio. They are hard to find in the stores, but can be easily found online.

The Daltons

This French PAL DVD has anamorphic video and French DD 5.1 audio. This DVD does not have English subtitles, but no English subtitles are really needed to enjoy this stylish film if you are a fan of the comic. The only extras are a trailer and featurette. There is a Chinese "version" of this DVD floating around but with the worst English subtitles I've ever seen.
DVD AUDIO: 9
EXTRAS: 4
FILM: 7

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-25-06 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
You can add Blueberry/Renegade -- though that was a major suckfest IMO.

Immortel ad Vitam (ie. Nikopol books 1&2) was considerably better if still flawed. I don't think Bilal's other movies are based on books.
Old 04-03-06, 04:43 PM

No, Immortel is the only one, I'll had two other traditional french/belgian comics live action, Michel Vaillant.

and "Les chevaliers du ciel":

Official site here:
http://www.leschevaliers-lefilm.com/site/intro.html