DVD Talk
One's fat, one's thin, both are starving: who dies first? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : One's fat, one's thin, both are starving: who dies first?

GoldenJCJ
03-24-06, 05:48 PM
I was having this debate with a co-worker today.

If there are two people stranded in the desert, one's fat and the other is skinny who would starve to death first.

On one hand I would say the skinny one, because he would waste away quicker while the fat one would survive longer on his own fat.

On the other hand I'd think the fat one would die first because he needs more nutrients to survive while the skinny one has built up immunity of sorts to fight off starvation.

So who would it be fat man or little boy?

j123vt_99
03-24-06, 05:52 PM
make it a poll

Rockmjd23
03-24-06, 05:55 PM
Simple answer. The thin one dies first because the fat one eats him.

Holy Jackson
03-24-06, 05:58 PM
Let me drop the bomb on you then.

I'd say the skinny guy because he could wait till the fat guy overheats or something and then hit him with a brick and eat him.

In all reality, first you'd dehydrate and die, which gives slight odds to the skinny guy because fat people get all sweaty real quick.

If you had access to water, again the fat guy would probably get all crazy from sweating out his salt first and die.

If it was typical desert water though, it would be microbially infested, and the fat guy would win because his ravenous appetite would have exposed him to enough toxic burritos to give him immunity to montezuma's revenge, but the skinny guy would just poo himself to death.

So in my analysis, I have skinny guy 3, fat guy 1. Skinny guy wins.

Joe Molotov
03-24-06, 05:59 PM
On the other hand I'd think the fat one would die first because he needs more nutrients to survive while the skinny one has built up immunity of sorts to fight off starvation.

I'm pretty sure the only "immunity to starvation" you can build up is fat. Your body metabolizes it into energy when you don't eat in a while. Maybe the fat guy gets hungrier faster, but there's a difference in being hungry and actually starving.

Max Bottomtime
03-24-06, 06:03 PM
The skinny one would die first. Fat people always have a couple of candy bars hidden away in their clothes. :)

Th0r S1mpson
03-24-06, 06:14 PM
I've seen starving people... none of them were very fat.

The fat ones are obviously dead.

Numanoid
03-24-06, 06:22 PM
On the other hand I'd think the fat one would die first because he needs more nutrients to survive while the skinny one has built up immunity of sorts to fight off starvation.That makes absolutely no sense. :lol:

kvrdave
03-24-06, 06:25 PM
I don't answer until I am referred to as "hotshot" and this is presented as a pop quiz. :grunt:

TheNightFlier
03-24-06, 06:31 PM
Skinny guy. The fatty will then eat the skinny guy and live even longer.

Giantrobo
03-24-06, 06:36 PM
I think that the although the skinny would most likely die first, their last few days would be good because the "Fat" person would be doing their best to take care of them. While "feeding their fat ass"(based on some of the fucked up pot shots in this thread :grunt: ), the "Fat" person would at least be sharing what little food they could gather to help the ailing skinny person get through their final hours.

GoldenJCJ
03-24-06, 06:50 PM
That makes absolutely no sense. :lol:
sure it does. The thin guy is thin. He's used to not eating which gives him the advantage over one who need to eat and eat just to stay full.

or...it makes no sense; but you get what I'm driving at. :)

Mrs. Danger
03-24-06, 07:09 PM
If we assume they are trying to get to help, the fat person would be burning more calories as he walked (or crawled) than the thin one. He would then become thin, and after that, the odds would be even.

Otherwise, which ever one was better nourished would last longer. It's not the lack of calories that gets you, it's the lack of specific viatmins and nutrients. You might have tons of fat to live on, but if you don't have enough vitamin B, you just don't have it.

littlefuzzy
03-24-06, 07:15 PM
The skinny one would die first. Fat people always have a couple of candy bars hidden away under their man boobs. :)
FIXED!

:D

Jazzbutcher
They would both die of dehydration long before they starved to death.

DVD Polizei
Whever gets eaten, dies first. Whoever eats the other, lives.

Numanoid
03-24-06, 09:08 PM
The body stores fat for this very purpose -- in the event of a lack of food, it can survive longer. Every diet will tell you this. End of story. Fat guy lives.

DVD Polizei
03-24-06, 10:06 PM
But the skinny guy's body doesn't require as much calories as the fatass. If the fat guy has no food, I think his body will go into shock first, and he will die. Of course, he could eat parts of himself.

Numanoid
03-24-06, 10:11 PM
Uh, no. The human body requires about 1440 calories per day to live, fat or skinny. If the skinny guy has only 10,000 calories worth of stored energy to live, and the fat guy has 100,000 calories worth, guess who dies first?

mookiemeister
03-24-06, 10:21 PM
I'm guessing skinny guy dies first because he doesn't have as much energy stored up.

Toad
03-24-06, 10:33 PM
Thin one, unless he kills the fat dude and eats him.

GoldenJCJ
03-24-06, 11:40 PM
The body stores fat for this very purpose -- in the event of a lack of food, it can survive longer. Every diet will tell you this. End of story. Fat guy lives.

But the skinny guy's body doesn't require as much calories as the fatass. If the fat guy has no food, I think his body will go into shock first, and he will die.
This is pretty much the exact debate I had at work. Never was resolved.

innocentfreak
03-24-06, 11:44 PM
But the skinny guy's body doesn't require as much calories as the fatass. If the fat guy has no food, I think his body will go into shock first, and he will die. Of course, he could eat parts of himself.

But the caloric intake is only to keep his current weight. The skinny guy dies first.

Bushdog
03-24-06, 11:44 PM
"Skinny guy doesn't require as much calories" is pretty hillarious. Odds are they have a higher metabolism, making them get less MPG for food.

That said, if the fat guy has a lot of fat soluble crap built up in their system, a sudden weightloss could result in dumping all sorts of shit into their system.

RoQuEr
03-25-06, 12:31 AM
they would both die after about 3 days without water

dvd182
03-25-06, 01:43 AM
"Skinny guy doesn't require as much calories" is pretty hillarious. Odds are they have a higher metabolism, making them get less MPG for food.

This is what I was thinking as well. I know a lot of rail-thin people who eat a lot more than the heavy people I know, it's like their metabolism is superhuman. That's gotta make a person go nuts during starvation.

johnglass
03-25-06, 06:54 AM
make it a poll

Hell, make it a Swede. I really don't see how their national origin would affect their starvation rate.

Gallant Pig
03-25-06, 07:32 AM
sure it does. The thin guy is thin. He's used to not eating which gives him the advantage over one who need to eat and eat just to stay full.

or...it makes no sense; but you get what I'm driving at. :)

Please email this thread to your bosses, one of you will be fired and one of you will be given a promotion. You have to guess who gets what. The person who chose the argument above will have the same advantages as the skinny guy who is starving. ;)

NORML54601
03-25-06, 11:48 PM
Let's try it.

Cusm
03-26-06, 12:48 AM
If you look at Survivor, they get pretty close to starvation by the end, the larger ones usually do better than the skinny ones when the food is running out. Fat people do not require more calories they either take in more or burn less than skinny people.

bballing
03-26-06, 01:18 AM
It also depends on who has more muscle. If the skinny guy has a lot of muscle and the fatty has none, the skinny guy is going to burn calories at a much faster rate. More muscle equals higher metabolic rate. Fat guy would probably win this battle.

Groucho
03-26-06, 01:28 AM
This should be some sort of elimination challenge on "The Biggest Loser."

Joe Molotov
03-26-06, 02:23 AM
This is pretty much the exact debate I had at work. Never was resolved.

Check a few posts above yours:

Uh, no. The human body requires about 1440 calories per day to live, fat or skinny. If the skinny guy has only 10,000 calories worth of stored energy to live, and the fat guy has 100,000 calories worth, guess who dies first?

mndtrp
03-26-06, 02:54 AM
I didn't realize this would lead to a debate. Since the post was asking about starving, not dehydration, the skinny guy would die first. Your body stores fat to burn off when you don't have any food.

Skinny guy = not much fat = dies quickly
fat guy = fat = dies not as quickly

clckworang
03-26-06, 04:24 PM
The skinny guy would definitely die first.

Mrs. Danger
03-26-06, 04:32 PM
Can I poke them with a cattle prod, to speed things along?

Bacon
03-26-06, 04:58 PM
Won't stand a chance----------->http://web.tiscali.it/la_tv/immagini/varie%20-%20Olsen/olsen_twins101.jpg

Will never die--------> http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/18/tv.roseannebarr.ap/roseanne.jpg

NotThatGuy
03-26-06, 05:31 PM
....the "Fat" person would at least be sharing what little food they could gather to help the ailing skinny person get through their final hours.

They are just fattening up their next dinner.

Then technical answer....it depends.

If everything was equal (access to water, health, metabolism, etc) then the fat guy would win the vast majority of the time. Even if their metabolisms are different, it won't really matter that much because as the body goes into conservation mode, and then starvation mode....it slows down and i'm guessing both with be relatively close. The fat person will have more to work with, though I'd be concerned with over-heating and a quicker loss of electrolytes. As it was mentioned earlier, water has much more to do with longevity.

-p

Deftones
03-26-06, 05:58 PM
This sounds like something they should do on that show Brainiac. They already have a fat v. thin contest, but this would certainly be more fun to watch.

NotThatGuy
03-26-06, 06:31 PM
Won't stand a chance----------->http://web.tiscali.it/la_tv/immagini/varie%20-%20Olsen/olsen_twins101.jpg

In that picture they don't look that bad. Some of the coked out Lohan pictures make me cringe though. The one on the left looks healthier though, so that'd be my choice. ;)

-p

PopcornTreeCt
03-26-06, 07:54 PM
I pick skinny to die first. And I thought this was common sense?

Superboy
03-26-06, 08:03 PM
Skinny people burn calories less efficiently than fat people. The fat one lives longer.

bhk
03-26-06, 09:33 PM
The thin guy only has to outrun the fat guy, not the bear.

Wait, that's a different joke.

The thin guy dies first. Fat stores around 9 calories per gram so the fat guy has a lot of energy stored.

RunBandoRun
03-27-06, 08:21 AM
It depends on whether they have access to drinkable water. The body can live for weeks with no food, but only a few days with no water.

Hospitaller
03-27-06, 03:31 PM
for what its worth, in the soviet gulags, authors such as Solzhenitsyn and Shalamov often wrote about how the strong country giant dies much quicker than the small mousy man in the camps. they were generally fed a few hundred calories each day and worked relentlessly.

Cusm
03-27-06, 04:34 PM
for what its worth, in the soviet gulags, authors such as Solzhenitsyn and Shalamov often wrote about how the strong country giant dies much quicker than the small mousy man in the camps. they were generally fed a few hundred calories each day and worked relentlessly.

That is different. That is who would die faster the big guy burning 5000 calories a day while consuming 300 calories; or the small guy burning 1000 calories while also consuming 300 calories per day.