Reload this Page >

Playstation One R.I.P.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation One R.I.P.

Old 03-24-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation One R.I.P.

This week marks the end of PSone production for Sony.

The little console that could sold over 100M over it's lifetime.

Step into the void little gray wonder with your long load times and disc read errors. Here's to many a night playing Super Puzzle Fighter with your chasis turned upside down. Here's to finding the Gold Chocobo just to get Nights of the Round. Here's to hunting Sniper Wolf in the snow. Here's to passing all the License Tests with golds. Here's to the Master of Unlocking. Here's to "punch kick it's all in the mind". Here's to Sweet Tooth. Here's to Hwoarang versus Eddie.

Good times! Good memories......
Old 03-24-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never had a disc error problem. Ever. Of course I didn't buy one until about 97 so maybe it was fixed by then.
Old 03-24-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mopower
maybe it was fixed by then.

Old 03-24-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But seriously though, I got my money's worth out of mine before it kicked the bucket. There was such a glut of RPGs, I still haven't got around to playing all the ones I wanted. And then you had Oddworld, Skullmonkeys, Incredible Crisis, and of course Tekken 3 which is probably the only fighting game that ever got me (almost) into a real fight. Good times.
Old 03-24-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
and of course Tekken 3 which is probably the only fighting game that ever got me (almost) into a real fight. Good times.
For me and a particular friend of mine there were three games that almost got us to throw real punches.

Tekken 2
NHL 98
Twisted Metal 2

Man we were insane over those games looking back on it I wish we still played them, we had some intense battles to say the least.
Old 03-24-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Never had a disc error problem. Ever. Of course I didn't buy one until about 97 so maybe it was fixed by then.
Actually neither did I. My original PS1 still works and I still play on it sometimes. I just put that in there since I know people had issue playing their PS1's sitting horizontal.
Old 03-24-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My PS1 died a horrible death.. as many of my friend's did. My PS2 is in tip-top shape though, so go figure. I can't say I have too many fond memories of the machine as I have the before and after.. I rocked the Street Fighter Alpha series HARD (the original was why I got a PS1) and Castlevania was excellent.. and the Tales series finally made it over here. In its afterlife I've picked up two bad ass imports Ore no Ryori and Zanac x Zanac.. but I'm thinking those are probably the best I can pull.
Old 03-24-06, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's right up there with the SNES as my favorite console of all-time.

Some of my favorite games....

Castlevania: SotN
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Valkyrie Profile
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Chrono Cross
Legend of Mana
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Saga Frontier 2
Hot Shots Golf series
Tactics Ogre

There are more, just can't think of them at the moment.
Old 03-24-06, 04:46 PM

I didn't get my PSX until Symphony of the Night came out in Japan, I actually got a modded one so I could play the import version (plus that was around the time Final Fantasy VII was advertising in Japanese TV shows I was watching) and it tipped me over the edge. I got good use out of it. But unlike any other video game hardware I have owned it did start to have the disc read errors. It got really annoying after awhile during cutscenes, and some games wouldn't even load. Eventually had to get another one. FFVII, tactics, suikoden, Vandal Hearts, Klonoa, I think i must have played too many games on that system.
Old 03-24-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My PSone is a sturdy little device though my older Playstation did have the overheating issue. Still use my PSone and I also have the screen for it. Definitely an all time favorite console.
Old 03-24-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
My original Playstation still works great. Never had a problem with it.
Old 03-24-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Might pick one up just for the sake of keeping one. I never owned a PS1.
Old 03-25-06, 12:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
They were still producing them up until today?!?
PS Minis were and still are a huge hit in lower income homes and many South American countries. If you can buy the system for $20 and the games for $2 a pop, that's a good incentive for someone with limited cash to buy one.
Old 03-25-06, 11:30 AM

I bought the original Playstation on launch day, and it still works fine to this day. This is despite numerous accidents. My band was touring at that point and for years we took it with us (till Dreamcast and later PS2 took over). It's actually been dropped out of a bus window and still works just fine. At one point we had to turn it upside down to get it to work, but one day all of the sudden it started working fine upright again. Just pulled it out a few days ago for curiosity sake, and played some Parappa with no problems. Heres to Sony making a good product, or at least my system was.

Last edited by Link_182; 03-25-06 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-25-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still have mine hooked up as well and never had a problem with it.
Old 03-25-06, 02:32 PM

I remember wasting many days with my friend playing the first Syphon Filter game on the PS1...good times...good times
Old 03-25-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My real first experiences with the PSOne were with Driver. Good times. However, it was quickly replaced with the PS2...

= J
Old 03-25-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got my PSX in late '97 with FFVII. Never had a single problem with it--but I did have a 64, too, which got more play than the PSX. Maybe if I played it more, I would have had some trouble with it, who knows. Still have it, although I haven't played it since the PS2 came out. As far as I know, it still works.

And I started up a new game of Castlevania: SOTN this week, too. I've never beat it--looking to fix that next week. What a classic.
Old 03-25-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of my favorite gaming memories were on the PSX...

Metal Gear Solid
Syphon Filter
Gran Turismo
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil
Tekken
Soul Blade
Crash Bandicoot
Driver
Castlevania
Gex
Twisted Metal 2
Jet Moto
Final Fantasy

Brilliant system...and the only one I ever bought at launch. I went through 2. Can't recall what I did with my second one...guess I sold it.
Old 03-26-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I been playing my old fav games for PS1 on my PS2 system without a problem.
Old 03-26-06, 01:42 AM
En vacance

PSX was good, FF7 catapulted it, but i had more fun with N64.
Old 03-26-06, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
I bought my Playstation used in 99, the previous owner had it for 2 years by then. When the PS2 came out, I sold my Playstation to my buddy. He still has it, uses it, and hasn't had any problems.
Old 03-26-06, 10:19 PM

Hey Chess...were you playing Tetris DS today?? I was playing online with someone named Chess was just wondering if that was you.
Old 03-27-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by junkie
Hey Chess...were you playing Tetris DS today?? I was playing online with someone named Chess was just wondering if that was you.
Sorry, no. Sunday is Ultimate Frisbee day.
Old 03-27-06, 08:29 AM

odd. never had the slightest problem with my ps1. bought right about the time Twisted Metal 2 came out so im not sure how far into the run that would be. then again I bought the system at sears (i think they had some trade in promotion back then) so the console had probably been sitting a while. Just between TM2 and FF7 I cant believe how much time my friend and I sunk into the ps1.

my ps2 did have the dreaded disc read error but sony was at least nice enough to fix it *cough avoid class action lawsuit* for free despite being way out of warranty. eventually traded that in for a pstwo which has been wonderful, and has even had to do double duty as the primary dvd player recently.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.