Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone ever have their gasoline stolen?

Gil Jawetz
03-24-06, 01:22 PM
I was starting to wonder if maybe my little car wasn't getting the fuel efficiency that I thought it would after a few short trips unexpectedly ran down a quarter tank. Then I was at Autozone and I saw a sign advertising locking gas caps with the line "Don't let anyone steal your gas!" I had one of those "Now that's the stupidest thing I've ever...HEY!!" moments and now I think someone snatched a few gallons of my stupid gas. I guess I'll check out those locking caps.

Is there anything left in this world that isn't annoying anymore?

RunBandoRun
03-24-06, 01:30 PM
Is there anything left in this world that isn't annoying anymore?

Store clerks. Used to be, you'd go shopping and they were all over you like a cheap suit, gunning for that commission. Now that major store chains want to get by hiring five people to staff a football-field-sized store for a shift, you never see one. :D

Tracer Bullet
03-24-06, 01:36 PM
and now I think someone snatched a few gallons of my stupid gas. I guess I'll check out those locking caps.

Your gas wasn't stolen. It finally left you because it got sick of being called stupid. Shame on you.

Gil Jawetz
03-24-06, 01:39 PM
Your gas wasn't stolen. It finally left you because it got sick of being called stupid. Shame on you.

I guess I shouldn't have slapped it around. I'm sorry, baby. Please come home!

Hospitaller
03-24-06, 01:43 PM
back in high school I knew a guy who would siphon. but only when he could get a person to go with him for the first time (and trick them into starting the suction process). but honestly I think he did it more to just make someone get gasoline in their mouth than anything else.

Minor Threat
03-24-06, 01:53 PM
I'd try a good carb/injector cleaner before I went the locking gas cap route.....

just my $0.02.....

OldDude
03-24-06, 01:53 PM
I think it is much more likely the gas station shorted you vs. what the pump said. A number of gas stations got caught around here, with station owners up for fines and prison time, although the cases have kind of gone off the radar after an initial scandal.

The Bus
03-24-06, 02:29 PM
Easy solution: Use cardboard boxes to shield your car.

kvrdave
03-24-06, 02:43 PM
locking gas cap won't help. People that steal gas rarely even open the hatch. They cut the line from underneath and syphon from there.

Minor Threat
03-24-06, 02:48 PM
locking gas cap won't help. People that steal gas rarely even open the hatch. They cut the line from underneath and syphon from there.

Sweet! Thanks for the tip Dave!

Nick Danger
03-24-06, 02:59 PM
I once bought a locking gas cap when some huffers took the cap off and wandered off with it.

bunkaroo
03-24-06, 03:05 PM
But cutting the line would make it obvious wouldn't it? OP's not sure, so it would seem if it happened it did so through the cap end.

CPA-ESQ.
03-24-06, 03:06 PM
I once bought a locking gas cap when some huffers took the cap off and wandered off with it.

Now that is one bad neighborhood

kvrdave
03-24-06, 04:26 PM
But cutting the line would make it obvious wouldn't it? OP's not sure, so it would seem if it happened it did so through the cap end.

Yep, it would be obvious. The point is that if they went through the cap, they don't do this very often, and a repeat offense is not likely.

EdTheRipper
03-24-06, 05:28 PM
I've never had any gas stolen. However, I have a full tank in a dead car if anybody'd like to come by and fill up. :)