Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me find a good card-battle type game?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, when I was younger, I played a bit of Magic: the Gathering and I enjoyed it. A couple of years ago, I started playing the Legend of the Five Rings CCG and I loved that.

A year or so ago, I moved to Japan to teach English and I'm looking for a game to kind of recapture the Lot5R experience. I have a ps2, gamecube, and a fairly decent pc.

I know there's Magic online, but I really don't want to pay a monthly subscription or pay for cards, plus the skill level is probably waaay above my ability.

Also, I'd prefer not to play a Pokemon or Yu Gi Oh type game. I have Culdcept for the ps2, which is fun, but a bit simplistic for what I'm looking for.

Is there even a game that simulates the Magic of Lot5R experience? Where I can build my own deck and play against the AI or whatever? Or just a good card-battle type game?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-06, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's Magic: Battle Grounds. It's a little more interactive/action oriented than just strictly a card game though.
Old 03-23-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe not quite what you are looking for, but Lost Kingdoms I and II are card-battle action games. Basically, you gain cards through the game and build decks before entering levels. All combat is done by using the cards in your quick slots, including summons, attack cards and support (like healing). I enjoyed the games well enough, as they are unique.
Old 03-23-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had an Xbox i'd recommend Phantom Dust. You build a deck of spells, which you had to win through combat, then take the deck into a 3-D arena. There is some arena combat bit where you can dodge the spells but the environment is destructible, there are different types of shield, attack, effect spells etc. It is actually a pretty good representation of a CCG. There are like 200 spells you can get offline and if you play online there are someting like 125 skills you can only win by playing other people online. You can even play ante matches and such.

It was my fav game for a good while with me logging almost 100 hours online playing english and japanese speakers. Even better is it came out in the US for 20$ brand new, so you could find a copy used i'm sure for around 10$ by now.
Old 03-23-06, 06:49 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

If you have an XBox, there is the game Phantom Dust. It is a card type game. Your character has spells, represented on screen by glowing orbs. Your goal is to battle and win against the computer AI character, or against a human opponent if you have Live service.
The spells all have the typical offensive, defensive and other type effects.
Pretty fun game, and if you can find it, should be pretty cheap.
If Miyu comes in this thread, he can talk more about it. He is the one that got me into the game.
Though I haven't played it in a long time since I have 360, and I dont think its on the backwards compatible list.
Old 03-23-06, 06:49 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Okay.. That's too funny.. As I post that, Miyu posts about the game. Too bad it posted mine a minute after his. But I was typing a little bit and then took a break.

Nice Job Miyu!
Old 03-23-06, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vryce
If Miyu comes in this thread, he can talk more about it. He is the one that got me into the game.
Though I haven't played it in a long time since I have 360, and I dont think its on the backwards compatible list.
You knew i'd show up

No it isn't backwards compatible which bummed me out immeasurably. Well until i got Oblivion, now everything else is finding into the background.

The game was like liquid crack for me for a good while in that it was very reminiscent of my college M:tG days.
Old 03-23-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nemein
There's Magic: Battle Grounds. It's a little more interactive/action oriented than just strictly a card game though.
Battle Grounds was a terrible terrible game too if you were expecting something like Magic the Gathering. In Battle Grounds you summon monsters somewhere on your half of the 1 screen field and they slowly shamble to the other side and either hit one of their monsters or hit them and do damage.

It is way more like a bad RTS game with things named after Magic cards.
Old 03-23-06, 07:58 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Maybe I'll look into getting an Xbox and checking out Phantom Dust. Thanks again.
Old 03-23-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know about three people who still own Neo Geo Pockets for the sole reason of playing SNK vs. Capcom Cards.
Old 03-23-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may want to check out Etherlords and Etherlords 2. My old roommate loved those games. From their website:

"Etherlords II is an exciting mix of role-play and tactical turn-based combat in the best traditions of fantasy trading card games."

The also have single player and multiplayer demos for download.
Old 03-23-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Gameboy Color is the best one I've played.
Old 03-23-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I know about three people who still own Neo Geo Pockets for the sole reason of playing SNK vs. Capcom Cards.
You can add me to that list. Love that freaking game and still play it.
Old 03-23-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just opened this thread to make fun of xmiyux.

Now that I've read it, I just don't have the heart.
Old 03-23-06, 12:24 PM

Metal Gear acid is a card based game, but it is for PSP
Old 03-23-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
There is Phantasy Star Online III C.A.R.D. Battle on the Gamecube... This requires a monthly fee to play online, but is free to play offline...
Old 03-23-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You might be interested in Baten Kaitos for Gamecube. It's an RPG card battling game, but is pretty fast paced so it may be too simplistic compared to what you are looking for. The sequel is coming out I believe, the art is top notch and the music is among the best I've ever heard in a game so even if its not something you're looking for you might enjoy it anyway.
Old 03-23-06, 10:36 PM

Baten Kaitos is hands down the title you need. The art was done by the same team that worked on Chrono Trigger and the gameplay is really deep and impressive.
Old 03-24-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Gameboy Color is the best one I've played.
I'd kill for a good MTG game (not the online version they have now), I still collect the cards and play casually occasionally. I just can't see paying for my cards again, esp since I'm not very good either.

The Pokemon TCG is a great game, don't let the name throw you.

And I certainly wouldn't try any YuGiOh games, I picked up one for the PS1, and there are no tutorials and the gameplay itself makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 03-24-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'd kill for a good MTG game (not the online version they have now), I still collect the cards and play casually occasionally. I just can't see paying for my cards again, esp since I'm not very good either.
I'm with you on this one. The older Magic PC game (Planeswalkers) was incredible in that you had access to all the cards (up to the point the game was released) and could make decks and play online against other people. You could also do sealed deck tournaments where everyone got random packs of cards they could open, 5 mins to construct a deck, and then do the tournament. The single player started you out with some basic cards and you went around a map challenging the AI in ante matches to win new cards and improve your deck.

That is why i was flipping out over Phantom dust so much. Now if only they would do a decent card battle game on Live i would be as obsessed as i am over Oblivion.
Old 03-24-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I bought both versions and have every card for both...one day, I'll spring for another NGP Color and a cable and transfer them all into one...easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

The Pokemon TCG Gameboy DX game was fun too.