TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Evidence **Series Premiere/Pilot** - 03/22/06

Old 03-22-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The Evidence **Series Premiere/Pilot** - 03/22/06

"Pilot"
Spoiler:
Inspectors Bishop and Cole try to solve the murder of a young pharmacist as they uncover disparate pieces of evidence: a flowering hydrangea, a severed finger, a cellular phone, a gold locket and the victim's body.

Cast: Orlando Jones, Nicky Katt, Rob Estes, Martin Landau, Anita Briem.
Producer(s): Sam Baum , Dustin Thomason, Gary Fleder.

Original Airdate: March 22, 2006.

The Evidence

The Post-Dispatch's tv critic called this show "remarkably ordinary", but I'll give it a shot anyhow.
Old 03-22-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B.A.
The Post-Dispatch's tv critic called this show "remarkably ordinary", but I'll give it a shot anyhow.
That sure seems to be the case with most of these mid-season shows lately.
Old 03-22-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this will be replayed on 3/25 @ 10PM on ABC, and the 2nd episode will be replayed on 4/1 @ 10PM (original airing 3/29) ..remember the first airing is at 10:01, not 10:00, as a minute of it gets eaten by Lost....
Old 03-22-06, 10:18 PM

I just caught the end of this show and it seemed alright. Maybe I'll have to check it out when they replay it. Does anyone happen to know what song was playing at the end of the episode? (When Rob Estes character was having flashbacks in the garage)It sounded like a female singer-songwriter type, but I didn't recognize the voice. She could be new on the scene. Thanks.
Old 03-22-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
interesting gimmick, but that's all it is, a gimmick. Nothing else about the show was remotely interesting. I love how they try to cram in backstory for all the minor characters. Oh, the chief has a kid that she can't be with all the time? awwwww, that's too bad.

i watched it all to give it a chance, and maybe, just maybe, might watch the next one just based on the gimmick, and the fact that pilots are normally bad. but if it stays like this, that's all it will get.

the acting was pretty damn bad. orlando jones as a crazy black guy? who'd a thunk it?

Man, that is WHACK!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-22-06 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found it boring, and the side stories were predictable. Little things really upset me about the show. If my wife was killed and barely a year later my partner was teasing me for still wearing a ring and not hitting on someone, I'd probably pop him in the mouth, not chuckle and switch his lunch. Also when they were interviewing the boyfriend near the beginning, it dawned on me just how silly all these cop shows are when they interview the loved ones of a dead person. The people are always so calm. Sure some of them appear a bit upset, but if it were me, I'd probably be balled up in the fetal position crying in a corner or something lol. I mean if someone came in and told you the person you loved and wanted to spend the rest of your life together was killed, I probably wouldn't react as calmly as these people always seem to.
Old 03-23-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Very boring show. They didn't really play with the whole "Evidence" gimme alot. Without it it's just another mid-season replacement cop show. May give it a final chance next week, but beyond that...nothing.
Old 03-23-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh... got bored after about 15 mins. I agree its just a gimmick show, nothing really new about it.
Old 03-23-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
oh, and i HATED how they kept flashing to the evidence pictures when you saw a piece of evidence. like when the ring kept switching between the cops, it kept showing the severed finger. I guess that's for all the people with less than a 10 seconds attention span?
Old 03-23-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Achtung
Eh... got bored after about 15 mins. I agree its just a gimmick show, nothing really new about it.
I did too. It's not like I need another crime procedural to clog up my Tivo and I really did not see the point of the "gimmick". Was the audience supposed to know who did it, just by seein a close-up of a cell phone and a balloon? Whatever.

I am bummed I did not see Nicky Katt, though. I like him and did not know he was in the show until I saw the first post of the thread. Oh well, it's alread been deleted.
Old 03-26-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They sidelined "Invasion" for this? Ugh. Even though I slagged "Heist" for bad writing and acting, it's got a little more entertainment value in its badness. "The Evidence" is so far a pretty bland show, and the evidence presented doesn't provide much in terms of clues to solve the case, so it's just a hook for the start of each episode, but it's not all that interesting to this viewer.
Old 03-26-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Interesting premise, but terrible execution in the pilot. The gimmick of showing the evidence first doesn't work if the show then doesn't develop the plot in a way that the audience can figure out the crime ahead of time based on the evidence. And having some evidence (the finger with the ring) that wasn't involved with the original crime, but instead with capturing the criminal, was a bit of a cheat. And on top of all that, I didn't give a damn about any of the characters.

After this lame pilot, I'm not sure if I'll take the time to watch this show again.
Old 03-26-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor
If my wife was killed and barely a year later my partner was teasing me for still wearing a ring and not hitting on someone, I'd probably pop him in the mouth, not chuckle and switch his lunch.
This really bothered me as well.

Boring show, and I'm not watching again.
Old 03-26-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, is Orlando Jones going to be replaced or relegated to desk duty for the remainder of this show? His trigger finger was cut off, I can guarantee you he will never be allowed to go back on the street with a weapon unless he all of a sudden was able to shoot left handed and pass all requirements.

I had an incident 10 years ago and the tendon in my left ring finger was cut and had to be re-attached to the top of the finger. I still don't have full range of motion opening and closing that finger. So I don't see how they could allow Orlando Jones to remain an Inspector on the street after having his finger severed-tendons and all.

Plus I've had the dis-pleasure of working with a few SFPD Inspectors. They don't dress as nice in this show, they simply don't.
Old 03-26-06, 08:02 PM

sia - breathe me. it was the same song during the last scene of the last episode of six feet under.