Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Good DVD shops in London?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be in London (UK, not Canada) next week... so where's good to shop for DVDs?
Old 03-22-06, 06:34 AM

Well, I'm not sure where you are in the world, but assuming it's in North America you'll no doubt find them all to be a touch on the expensive side.
Obviously, there are the big chains - a huge HMV on Oxford St and Virgin's flagship store at Piccadilly Circus, who tend to have near-permanent sales/offers on (5 for £30 etc). But I'd also recommend looking in Fopp (up Shaftesbury Ave, then just at the other side of Charing Cross Road in Covent Garden). They often have a lot of stuff at £5 - £7 - £10 price points, and you can get some decent deals there (although not everything is cheap.) Their CDs are also worth a look too. Avoid The Cinema Store on Upper St. Martin's Lane as it is very expensive and they sell R1 imports which I imagine you will be able to get (a) quite easily and (b) at far lower prices if you're in the US/Canada.

Dazza.
Old 03-22-06, 08:49 AM

i would only, and i stress this, buy things in the mentioned sales and special-offer joints like the major high street stores and places like the highly-recommended 'fopp' on shaftesbury avenue... otherwise, as with any high street shopping - too expensive compared to online...
Old 03-22-06, 10:55 AM
Banned

I've been to London 3 years ago, but I didn't notice any DVD-Stores.
Maybe I just looked at the wrong places.
You probably happen to find a HMV Store. But in your place, I would buy DVDs online, because I already heard they were really expensive.
I recommend play, amazon or blah.
Old 03-22-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there are no good DVD shops in London, The Cinema Store is good for looking around but they seem to add £10 to £15 to every DVD. The main store is okay, it has posters, magazines and toys. But you can get most of this from your home country. For example they have the signed Clerks DVD you can get from Kevin Smiths website and they added £20. Not that good.
The above posters are correct about stores like HMV and Virgin. They do alot of 3 for £20 offers and a few £5 to £7 deals.
Old 03-22-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts
When I was in England I didn't find a single store that had decent prices on DVDs. I'd also suggest you stick to the internet...I use a combination of Amazon, CDWOW & SelectCheaper.
Old 03-22-06, 01:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
as I recall I thought the prices for DVD's were decent at the store Fopp (as logboy noted).
Old 03-22-06, 01:20 PM

What I found useful was to order items through online shops based in the U.K. and then have them shipped to my hotel room. As an American resident, I also didn't have to pay the VAT (but you must have a U.S. address as your primary address). I ordered items before I left for my trip in December, and the hotel left them in my room during my stay. It was nice to come back to the room and open up packageers.

Like others, I have never found a place that sells Dvds for a reasonable amount. The prices would not be that awful if the exchange rate was not such a killer. When I went to London in 2002, I could get a £20 disc for $30. If I had purchased the same disc in December, it would have cost me $36. And if you use your credit card, some of them now charge these ridiculous convenience fees to deal with foreign currency.
Old 03-22-06, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
as I recall I thought the prices for DVD's were decent at the store Fopp (as logboy noted).
and as Dazza noted earlier
Old 03-22-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I visited, I did have some luck with used DVD's at places like CD & Record Exchange and Cheapo Cheapo Records, but as others have said, there isn't much on sale in England that you couldn't find cheaper at home. The more obscure, Region 2-only stuff is hard to find used and pretty pricy new. The thing that kills you is the VAT. Amazon.uk takes it off for shipments outside of the EU, so they are almost always cheaper than the shops.

My best score were sealed copies of I'm Alan Partidge and The Day Today for 5 pounds each at a junk dealer's stall in Portobello Road.
Old 03-22-06, 10:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazza
and as Dazza noted earlier

oops, sorry there.
Old 03-23-06, 07:46 AM

No problem, Giles

Dazza.