Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Beatles - Capitol Albums Volume 2 -4/11/06

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-20-06, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from billboard.com

Capitol Boxes Up More Beatles Albums
March 20, 2006, 12:00 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Capitol Records will on April 11 release the Beatles' "Capitol Albums Volume 2," the companion to a 2004 collection that featured the group's first four U.S. album releases. The new edition sports "The Early Beatles," "Beatles VI," the "Help!" soundtrack and the American pressing of "Rubber Soul," all of which were originally released in 1965.

As with the first boxed set, each track is presented in both stereo and mono mixes. Out of the 92 individual tracks, 82 are appearing here in versions previously unreleased on CD. Each album is housed in a sleeve replicating its original LP artwork.

"The Early Beatles" boasts the stereo debut of such favorites as "Twist and Shout," "Please Please Me" and "A Taste of Honey," as well as the first CD appearances of 1963 simulated stereo mixes of "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You." This is the lone album represented in the box that did not reach No. 1 on the Billboard album chart, peaking at No. 43.

"Beatles VI" offers the CD stereo debut of five tracks and the mono debut of four others, plus the first release of Capitol's duophonic mix of "Yes It Is." The "Help!" soundtrack includes five instrumentals from the film, plus five of George Martin's original 1965 stereo mixes. "Rubber Soul" also offers the first CD appearance of Martin's 1965 stereo mixes.

The release of the new box is timed to coincide with the 41st anniversary of the Beatles' reign over the top five slots on the Billboard pop singles chart with "Can't Buy Me Love," "Twist and Shout," "She Loves You," "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "Please Please Me."

Here is the track list for "Capitol Albums Volume 2":

"The Early Beatles":
"Love Me Do"
"Twist and Shout"
"Anna"
"Chains"
"Boys"
"Ask My Why"
"Please Please Me"
"P.S. I Love You"
"Baby It's You"
"A Taste of Honey"
"Do You Want To Know a Secret"

"Beatles VI":
"Kansas City"
"Eight Days a Week"
"You Like Me Too Much"
"Bad Boy"
"I Don't Want To Spoil the Party"
"Words of Love"
"What You're Doing"
"Yes It Is"
"Dizzy Miss Lizzie"
"Tell Me What You See"
"Every Little Thing"

"Help!":
"Help!"
"The Night Before"
"From Me to You Fantasy" (instrumental)
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"
"I Need You"
"In the Tyrol" (instrumental)
"Another Girl"
"Another Hard Day's Night" (instrumental)
"Ticket To Ride"
"The Bitter End / You Can't Do That" (instrumental)
"You're Gonna Lose That Girl"
"The Chase" (instrumental)

"Rubber Soul":
"I've Just Seen a Face"
"Norwegian Wood"
"You Won't See Me"
"Think for Yourself"
"The Word"
"Michelle"
"It's Only Love"
"Girl"
"I'm Looking Through You"
"In My Life"
"Wait"
"Run for Your Life"
Old 03-20-06, 02:44 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
From what I remember, the volume 1 albums had terrible sound.
Old 03-20-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone on the Steve Hoffman forums were lauding the sound of Volume 1, but I don't personally have them. Was looking forward to Vol. 2 however.
Old 03-20-06, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
From what I remember, the volume 1 albums had terrible sound.
It wasn't so much that Volume 1 itself had a bad sound - it's that it was a reproduction of the bad-sounding masters used for the orignal US releases.

I found this site - http://www.whatgoeson.com/wgo.beatles.html - to have good information on Volume 1. Checking it now for Vol 2 info.
Old 03-20-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wake me when we have hi-rez DVD-A mixes available... Until then, this is another useless release.
Old 03-20-06, 05:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, count me in. I love having the original vinyl packaging of my (misspent) youth, even if it has been ran through a shrinking machine, LOL.
Old 03-20-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's a good reason to pick up the capitol albums. and until the UK versions are remastered, i'm down.
Old 03-21-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I refuse to buy any Beatles releases until they remaster the catalog. There's no reason it hasn't been done yet, and there's truckloads of money it in for the rights owners.
Old 03-21-06, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I refuse to buy any Beatles releases until they remaster the catalog. There's no reason it hasn't been done yet, and there's truckloads of money it in for the rights owners.
Here's a link I found on whatgoeson.com

It's a quickie read mentioning why the remasters need to be done, what fans are doing in place of official remasters, etc.
Old 03-22-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead

It's a quickie read mentioning why the remasters need to be done, what fans are doing in place of official remasters, etc.
I have a lead on the DESS versions. I will report back on how it sounds.
Old 03-22-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like good stuff but I'm willing to bet it's all available on the hundreds of Beatles boots floating around.
Old 03-22-06, 02:29 PM

I have a lead on the DESS versions. I will report back on how it sounds.
looking forward to it
Old 03-23-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead

I managed to get my hands on 20 of the DESS CDs. I'll tell you, yes, they definitely are better, warmer, better mixed, but definitely have an "analog" feel to them. The tracks could really benefit from a pro mix from the original source material, but these kill the present CD releases.
Old 04-14-06, 05:35 PM

FYI for anyone planning to pick this up... the first batches of this set that went out to stores used the incorrect mono mixes for Rubber Soul and Beatles VI. Most people wouldn't care, but if you want the correct versions, look at the tiny numbers on the yellow sticker on the front of the box. If they end with SK1, that's the corrected set.
Old 04-14-06, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
The one with the mistakes will probaby be worth a lot of money in the future.

Hmm. I wonder what a shrinkwrapped CD of Sgt. Pepper in the cardboard longbox with the cutout badges sells for now.
Old 04-15-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
The one with the mistakes will probaby be worth a lot of money in the future.

Hmm. I wonder what a shrinkwrapped CD of Sgt. Pepper in the cardboard longbox with the cutout badges sells for now.
99 cents. I can PayPal ... let me know.
Old 04-15-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I managed to get my hands on 20 of the DESS CDs. I'll tell you, yes, they definitely are better, warmer, better mixed, but definitely have an "analog" feel to them. The tracks could really benefit from a pro mix from the original source material, but these kill the present CD releases.
I can also add that the Two Of Us 5.1 mixes sound amazingly good. I'm really enjoying Abbey Road in particular.

Also...I ordered Volume 2 if for no other reason than I find those little LP covers irresistable.
Old 04-25-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Beatles to be remastered soon and then available online

http://www.whatgoeson.com/story.20060412.html

According to Neil Aspinall, Managing director of Apple Records, the Beatles' entire back catalog will soon be available for download, but only after each track has been digitally remastered for new CD releases. Up until now, the Beatles are one of the few groups to have resisted making their work available at the iTunes Music Store and other online music services. They were similarly among the last artists to release their albums onto CD.

Mr. Aspinall said, "We're remastering the whole Beatles catalog, just to make it sound brighter and better and getting proper booklets to go with each of the packages. I think it would be wrong to offer downloads of the old masters when I am making new masters. It would be better to wait and try to do them both simultaneously so that you then get the publicity of the new masters and the downloading, rather than just doing it ad hoc."

Neil Aspinall revealed these plans in London's High Court, where the company is currently battling Apple Computer over the use of the Apple logo.

This is good news for casual Beatles fans, who have been wanting to see downloadable Beatles music, and also for die-hard Beatles fans, who will be excited to be hearing the remastered catalog on CD.

Published April 12, 2006

Let's hope so.
Old 04-25-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man, that's the news I've been waiting for!! They can keep their Capitol albums, gimme Parlophone.