Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend animated Asterix?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asterix - Box Set (6 Discs) (Animated) is up for pre-order at amazon.uk. with a (re-?)release date of May 1, 2006.
i've got the Mission Cleopatra movie and liked it so, would this be a good blind buy?

Last edited by RaMMaR; 03-17-06 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 03:45 PM

As you enjoyed "Mission Cleopatra", I'd say go for it -- it's a good way to find out a bit more about the Asterix characters and stories, and the 6 discs represent decent value for money.
Have you seen the other live-action one - "Asterix and Obelix Take on Caesar"? You might want to pick that up before buying the animated box, especially as you enjoyed "Cleopatra". It can be had quite cheaply in R2 UK format (though beware this version contains an English dub only).

Dazza.
Old 03-17-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know you are curious, but I woudn't buy them. I've seen a few and the quality is very poor. The animation sucks, the story/dialogue don't work as well, and it's not even nostalgic if you are a fan of Asterix.

I grew up loving the ASTERIX, TINTIN, and LUCKY LUKE comics. Unlike the Asterix animated versions of the books, the Tintin animated versions are pretty good - good animation, good voices, and keeps the same vibe as the comic. Of course, the books are the best way to be exposed to Tintin. Even the live-action Tintin movies from the 1960s were very good too.

The Asterix cartoons as well as the first live-action Asterix movie w/Roberto Benini and Latisha Castaway really suck. I have seen the live-action sequel, MISSION CLEOPATRA with Monica Bellucci, and I loved it and thought it was a masterpiece! Out of all 300 dvds that I own, MISSION CLEOPATRA is on my can't-live without list.

So, you may be curious but I woudn't buy those old Asterix cartoons. Wait for this new animated Asterix feature - ASTERIX AND THE VIKINGS. This one looks very good. Check out the trailer here:
http://www.pulpmovies.com/trailers/a...nd-the-vikings
Old 03-18-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the replies, guys. i guess i'll pass on the set and wait for Asterix and the Vikings instead. i thought about getting the first movie but remembered some not-so-glowing takes on the film in the thread where Mission Cleopatra was announced.
Old 03-19-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The recent live-action French LUCKY LUKE movie, LES DALTONS, is very good as well. Don't believe all the poor reviews online. If you grew up reading Lucky Luke, LES DALTONS captures the essence of Lucky Luke, Joe Dalton and Rin Tin Can.

Can anyone confirm if this is a legit dvd of LES DALTONS w/English subtitles?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 03-19-06, 12:10 PM

I can't confirm it, but I think the chances of it being dodgy are slim as AFAIK Amazon are strict about their listings and wouldn't have created/allowed a listing for a non-legit release.
I bought "Les Daltons" and was really disappointed - looked forward to it as I'm a fan of Lucky Luke, but it didn't work for me at all.
I would still recommend "Asterix and Obelix Take on Caesar" to anyone who hasn't seen it yet enjoyed "Mission Cleopatra" simply because it's so cheap so it isn't exactly a big gamble if you don't enjoy it.

Dazza.
Old 03-19-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DAZZA,

But according to the "official French dvd release", there are no english subtitles...But this guy on Amazon is saying that it's a dvd with English subtitles. Do you think it's definite then that it actually has English subtitles? Or have Amazon listings been wrong in that sense sometimes, with regards to audio or subtitle info?

If you own the DALTONS on DVD, which version do you have???

Have you seen IZNOGOUD yet? I hear it's really bad too, but for 10 dollars at:
http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=21068, it may be worth it. I might like it since I liked LES DALTONS...Does anyone know if that Thai DVD is anamorphic? The only info they say is Widescreen...
Old 03-19-06, 03:02 PM

Toddly:

You're right, the French R2 of this - which is the one I own - has no English subs.

I am never too sure as to the actual origin of DVDs such as the "Les Daltons" listed on Amazon; "L'Esquive" is another one listed on there which I own on French R2 (again with no English subs), but didn't know existed on DVD in an R1 English-subbed version.

However, I have noticed (since my earlier post) that both DVDs mentioned above have "this page was created by a seller" written near the bottom of their Amazon listings, so the information has obviously not come from Amazon themselves. In any case, anyone buying these will be protected by Amazon should the DVD not be legit or whatever.

As for "Iznogoud", no, I didn't bother with it at the cinema - but for $10, why not? Probably worth a look at that price, and it has Kad & Olivier etc in it.

Dazza.