Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Good Night & Good Luck'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-16-06, 01:12 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read DVD Savant's DVD review of Good Night & Good Luck at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20613 and... I don't understand how a movie can get four stars straight across the board and only get Recommended. Seems a bit off.
Old 03-16-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen movies get just as good remarks and get a "rent it". Why? Because it's not for everyone, or maybe you can only watch it once or twice.
Old 03-16-06, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I've seen movies get just as good remarks and get a "rent it". Why? Because it's not for everyone, or maybe you can only watch it once or twice.
But why should you have to downgrade the review just because it's not for everyone. Isn't that the case with every movie? And also he gave the replay four stars.
Old 03-16-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each reviewer has their own scale for ratings and advice, and "four stars straight across the board" (not to mention the "Recommended" rating itself) is fairly typical for Savant's reviews. I might've given it slightly higher marks, but that's just me---Savant's seen so many freakin' movies that it probably takes a lot more to impress him.
Old 03-16-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked this movie, and I certainly recommend it.

But I have a bone to pick, so let me assume rant mode... ready.... OK!

Thinking back to the thoroughly unwarranted, unearned and endless self-congratulations that Hollywood heaped upon itself at its last occasion for farce - the Academy Awards show - I wonder whether anyone remembers that "the blacklist" was itself a Hollywood creation enforced by the studio bosses?

True, the blacklist was only one chapter (if not merely a footnote) in the whole tragic enterprise of McCarthy, Cohn, and all the cornpone Nazis who supported them, but it's as though the institution of Hollywood has somehow forgotten its willing participation. Sure, it was a scary time, and thankfully we had a few good Americans with both balls and intellect whose defiance made a difference (a certain Mr. Murrow comes to mind), and I haven't forgotten Kirk Douglas' semi-courageous decision with respect to a semi-successful sword-and-sandals spectacular (though after most of the dust had settled). But there seems to be a peddling of the notion that Hollywood was part of that defiant resistance, proudly speaking truth to power. I caught a whiff of this ahistorical malarkey not only at the recent Oscars, but also the one a few years ago when everyone sat on their hands when Elia Kazan was honored... as though the unfortunate stain on his life and career was somehow greater or more destructive of individual lives than the giant trail of slime left by tinseltown itself.

So, if we're now naming names of those in the entertainment industry who went along to get along (Mr. Kazan... check), then that whole fucking craphole of compromised standards and bland conformity that is and ever was "Hollywood" should reside at the very top of the list.