Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Columbo Season 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Columbo Season 4

Once again, Columbo gets shoddy treatment. Double sided discs again and even smaller pacakaging this time.
Old 03-15-06, 04:17 PM

But do they play okay?
Old 03-15-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You guys should invest in a Panasonic player. Despite all the rampant playback problems with Universal dual-sided discs, they play just fine on all my Panny's. In fact I've never had any compatibility problems whatsoever. Of course it would be really nice if Universal could manufacture their products in a less shoddy manner.
Old 03-15-06, 06:43 PM

I have a Panasonic player, and it had problems with three different copies of the Columbo Season 3 set.
Old 03-15-06, 07:31 PM

I have both a Panny player and recorder and they had problems with Disc 1 of last week's Magnum P.I. Season Three.

I just purchased Columbo Season Four, but haven't had an opportunity to start viewing it. It's sad to hear that Universal is utilizing DVD-18's for Season Four since the season is comprised of just six two-hour Columbo movies. You would think that those six movies would fit comfortably on three DVD-9's. *Sigh*
Old 03-15-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not investing in a new player. Universal needs to invest in decent disc replication plants. I gave up on season three after several exchanges so there is really no reason to continue with the series anyway for me. I'll spend my money on discs that actually work.
Old 03-26-06, 03:32 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I recently got my copy and they are DVD9's.
Old 03-26-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobinson
I recently got my copy and they are DVD9's.
I was looking at this in store and considering it is only 6 episodes on a 3 disc set I thought it had to be single sided discs. Even those long episodes fit 2 to a side with no problem. However, the packaging does state double sided discs so I wasn't sure.

I my pick up season 4 after all and will probably go back and grab Season 3 again for another try. My new Denon player seems to have no problem at all with Universal DVD-18s. Discs that choke on my Sony players like Orgazmo and Bela Lugosi play back perfectly on the Denon. I also tried out Quincy Season 1 and Abbott and Costello Volume 4 since I picked them up fairly cheap at the Sam Goody closeout sale and they also playback flawlessly on the Denon.

I would love to know the technical reason why certain players can deal with these discs and other players freeze up.
Old 03-26-06, 06:36 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by darkside
the packaging does state double sided discs so I wasn't sure.
How misleading. I didn't realize the packaging said that.
Old 04-03-06, 07:23 PM

Just to confirm: the Columbo season 4 discs ARE single-sided, despite what it says on the back of the box. Each of the three discs has two Columbo episodes on it, and disc 3 also has an episode of Mrs. Columbo.