Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for March 14th, 2006

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below are DVD Talk's reviews for March 14th, 2006. For a complete list of reviews, visit the review index.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
My Neighbor Totoro by John Sinnott
The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till by Preston Jones

RECOMMENDED
The Corrs: Live in Geneva by Holly E. Ordway
La Parola Amore Esiste by Svet Atanasov
The Real Ghostbusters: Spooky Spirits by Mike Long
Shinobi by Randy Miller III
Teddy Pendergrass: Teddy - Live in '79 by Louis Howard
Tora-san's Stage-Struck by Stuart Galbraith IV

RENT IT
Bystanders aka: Diary of June by Ian Jane
Ferngully - The Last Rainforest by David Cornelius

SKIP IT
Den of Lions by David Cornelius

Old 03-20-06, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get talk about it started has been near impossible, but I've gotta say something again about the review of Real Ghostbusters.

Won't quibble with the recommended rating, but this:

However, the great ideas are nearly ruined by the jerky animation. Now I know that there are many out there who are fans of this sort of Japanese animation, but I find it to be jerky and cheap-looking. For an example of how questionable the animation is in The Real Ghostbusters, let me say that I noticed many shots which looked as if they were taken directly from Speed Racer, which was made 20 years earlier. In fact, if it weren't for the modern lighting effects, The Real Ghostbusters would look like something from the 60s, as the animation is plagued by a distinct lack of detail and is plagued by repetitious action.
Jerky animation? Where is that being seen? Everything seems smoothly done to me. I've always loved the look of RGB. It looks very "real," and much better than the Slimer and the RGB that followed, which looked more cartooney.

And I'd hardly call this Japanese animation. This isn't Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z or any of those horrible Japanimation deals. You don't have any of those huge eyes, or no eyes, or stupid mouth movements. It's animated in a very real style. And it hardly looks cheap, or like Speed Racer, or as if it's from the 60s. Not in the slightest.

I find the animation style to go very well with the often creative and intriquing stories they managed to fit into this "cartoon."

I mean, opinions are opinions. But these are presented as if they are fact, yet they are so far off the mark, I just don't see where they could possibly be coming from.

The only bad thing about the three RGB releases is that there were so many other good eps they did. I'm hoping we'll get more.
Old 03-21-06, 08:13 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I prefer most anime over most American animation (for a hundred or more different reasons) and I disagree with the review myself in some ways but why don't you start a thread from the link on the review? If no one responds, consider that your pleas have fallen on deaf ears and get over it.
Old 03-21-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Right. If you use the Start a Discussion link in the review, it'll start a new thread and automatically e-mail the reviewer a link to it. A reply in these daily update threads isn't guaranteed to be viewed by a reviewer, but if they're keeping up with their e-mails, they should see a 'Start a Discussion' thread.