Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Martin & Lewis Collection vol. 1 -- 6/13/06

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin & Lewis Collection vol. 1 -- 6/13/06

Just announced from Paramount Home Entertainment is The Martin & Lewis Collection vol. 1. Due on June 13th, this eight-disc set (732 minutes) contains the films The Caddy, Jumping Jacks, Money From Home, My Friend Irma, My Friend Irma Goes West, Sailor Beware, Scared Stiff and That's My Boy, all with newly remastered transfers.

Cover art here
Old 03-14-06, 09:35 AM

sweet
Old 03-14-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad MONEY FROM HOME isn't offered in a field sequential 3-D option, but of course that is too much to hope for. It's one of the more subtle 3-D movies anyway, I suppose. I was able to see it theatrically twice in recent years in the original dual projector polarized 3-D form.
Old 03-14-06, 05:29 PM
Cool New Member

At War with the Army

I was hoping that they would restore At War with Army". in Vol#1
The public domain print by MADACY and others out there is terrible.
Hopefully it would be included in a future volume.
Old 03-14-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just hope they include the audio outtakes of them recording the spots for The Caddy. Classic audio though probably to obscene to put on the DVD.
Old 05-20-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts
Has this been cancelled ??? Can't find at any etailers !!
Old 05-20-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Don't know about cancelled but it's definately been removed. First the film noirs, now these. Makes me wonder if Let's Scare Jessica to Death is really gonna make it. Wonder what's going on at Paramount.
Old 05-20-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
Don't know about cancelled but it's definately been removed. First the film noirs, now these. Makes me wonder if Let's Scare Jessica to Death is really gonna make it. Wonder what's going on at Paramount.
Also the release date of Paramount's "Julius Caesar" (3/28/06) came and went without the DVD ever showing up or any reason why not.
Old 05-20-06, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I just hope they include the audio outtakes of them recording the spots for The Caddy. Classic audio though probably to obscene to put on the DVD.
This outtake?

http://www.daveamason.com/april/mp3/...outtakes%2Emp3

I don't think Paramount would want that on any DVD.
Old 05-21-06, 07:19 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snorlaxnut
This outtake?

http://www.daveamason.com/april/mp3/...outtakes%2Emp3

I don't think Paramount would want that on any DVD.
It's an extra. Paramount doesn't do extras unless it's "SCENE SELECTION" or "INTERACTIVE MENUS".
Old 05-21-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
omg, is that real. its rightious, i mean i mean riotous.
Old 06-12-06, 12:54 AM

great site This is the Biggest pile of Sh** I hvae seenin a while ther is a great market for theese films what is paramounts problem ???
Old 08-04-06, 01:23 PM

Martin & Lewis vol. 1 has been re-announced for October 31st.
Old 08-04-06, 02:00 PM

Very cool - thanks for the update.
Old 08-06-06, 12:41 PM

Hope this new date holds. I won't get my hopes up until I either see an official announcement from Paramount or see it up for pre-order on multiple sites (like DDD & Amazon).
Old 11-02-06, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Anybody get this set? And, if so, what did you think of «Scared Stiff»? Better, as good or not as good as the original «Ghost Breakers» (1940)?
Old 11-03-06, 02:32 PM
Suspended

The boxset came out and I watched «Scared Stiff» (1953) for the first time. My impression...

I'm a Jerry Lewis fan and I think Bob Hope's «The Ghost Breakers» (1940) was technically way ahead of its time as a funny/scary Old Dark House comedy. This thirteen-years-later remake feels like it was hatched together as a quickie Martin-Lewis vehicle in the «scary» mode (they made four films that year). It reuses the same director (George Marshall), most of the dialogue, most of the situations, most of the special effects, all the stock footage and even one song from the original. The sets have also been recreated and the jokes «updated». If the remake works at all, it is due to the extreme quality and originality of the first film. Comedy writer Norman Lear (of TV fame) did his best in adapting the Bob Hope/Willie Best routine to the particular talents of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.

Where the story starts to creak though is in the scary scenes. They have lost their suspense and mystery and that undefinable mix of editing, timing, lighting, photography, acting, pacing and music called «atmosphere», which «The Ghost Breakers» had in spades.

The casting is also lacking: Lizabeth Scott is no Paulette Goddard. She may look good in a bathing suit but her comedy is stilted, her romantic moods are too entranced and her dramatics don't convince. William Ching is no Richard Carlson, Paul Marion is no Anthony Quinn and George Dolenz is no Paul Lukas either. The zombie character is also a special disappointment all its own. Out of a misguided sense of political correctness, the original Black zombie (Noble Johnson) has been replaced by a nondescript White (!) cowboy villain (!!) (Jack Lambert) who actually looks like an ordinary Joe (!!!) without makeup (!!!!) from a distance. His entrance actually causes crickets to start chirping.

Jack Lambert

Noble Johnson

All in all, I appreciate this film as a kind of hommage to the original, for its numerous Jerry Lewis set pieces, in which he exhibits a supreme self-confidence, and for the Dean Martin songs - despite the near-obscenity of the «Enchilada Man» number (you can imagine but don't ask!)... The less said about the Carmen Miranda numbers the better (this was her last film).

From what I've seen of the set so far, the films are in pristine condition.

Last edited by baracine; 11-03-06 at 04:57 PM.