TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rock Star: Tommy Lee

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Rock Star: Tommy Lee

AND THE ROCK STAR IS...:

It has been the source of speculation for months. But finally news is about to be made official. Get ready for Rock Star: Tommy Lee.

The star drummer has been in negotiations with the show's producers for the last few weeks (you might recall my hint of March 1) to take on a star role in the revamped show format. The house band will be retained, with Tommy Lee - the Motley Crue drummer and seasoned solo artist - taking the place of Inxs searching for his next Rock Star lead vocalist. The winner will front Lee's next studio album and a tour (timing to be determined).

Rumors over who would front the show following Inxs' 2005 role have been widespread since the first season finale. After a suitable band could not be found, it was originally decided to gather a group of name musicians and search for a singer for a brand new band - until Lee stepped in that is.

An official announcement is expected within a day or two, but Lee gave this hint away as recently as yesterday in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch. (thanks to Blabbermouth for the link) Lee's interview extract:

Q. Any chance of another season of "Tommy Lee Goes to College" or are your academic days over?
A. In about two days you're gonna hear a statement about something new. I'm looking at the press release right now, but I can't tell you what it is.
Q. Is it an NBC press release?
A. No, a different network.
Q. But we'll be seeing you back on TV?
A. Absolutely.

And this from one of the show's hosts, guitarist Dave Navarro: "As for Rockstar, I still am unable to comment, but the press release should be a day or two away. As soon as the line up is announced, I'll be able to answer some questions about the season and finally chime in. It will be a different show this year, but one that should certainly be entertaining to watch."
Stay tuned for that official announcement and press release.
--melodicrock.com
Old 03-13-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sucks! Who cares who sings with Tommy Lee?

What fucking back catalog will they sing?

Im out!
Old 03-13-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish Tommy Lee would just fucking vanish.
Old 03-13-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
This is a very strange choice as a follow-up to INXS. I guess they figure that Tommy Lee's name (or, let's be honest, his appendage) will bring more interest and viewers. I'm not a fan of Van Halen, but I would have still felt there was more importance for the show if they were chosen.

As it is, as someone already stated, what back catalog does he have? This is a very poor choice, but I'm sure that I will still watch, if for no other reason than to see some young up-and-comers like I felt Marty Casey was last year.
Old 03-13-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wait...he had a singer for his other album[s]?
Old 03-13-06, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
--melodicrock.com

Ok - At first glance, I thought the website was mediocrerock.com
Old 03-13-06, 10:25 PM

What an idiotic move. One of the best parts of INXS was the fact that you got to hear what the group members thought.

Tommy Lee? Who cares who's going to sing on Tommy Lee's next cut-out CD.
Old 03-13-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bugg
I wish Tommy Lee would just fucking vanish.
Dude!
Old 03-13-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez.

Was Andrew Ridgely or Art Garfunkel unavailable?
Old 03-13-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a HUGE disappointment. I was looking forward to VAN HALEN. The transition from INXS to Tommy Lee is like watching Lawrence of Arabia followed by Gigli.
Old 03-14-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think the producers are not thinking straight. The show was a sucess because people like INXS's music. They have no interest in a guy whose songs they don't know (or don't exist).

This sucks.
Old 03-14-06, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
wait...he had a singer for his other album[s]?
I could've sworn he sang on his albums, with various studio musicians backing him....
Old 03-14-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He sang on the last one.

This totally sucks.
Old 03-14-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Horrible. I really dislike Eddie V, and I do not care for post-DLR Van Halen, but I was looking foward to this, not anymore. So every week they will have the 2 people singing Get Naked at the battle?
Old 03-14-06, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Geez.

Was Andrew Ridgely or Art Garfunkel unavailable?
I honestly thought his name was "That other guy from Wham!"

Looking forward to season 3, Rockstar: Menudo
Old 03-14-06, 12:35 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved Tommy Lee (as a drummer), but this is simply awful.
Old 03-14-06, 01:02 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although it will be funny watching contestants try to say with a straight face they've always dreamed of being the singer for Tommy Lee. Or how he's always been an inspiration to them (if they were drummers that would be one thing). Unless they are allowed to do Crue songs the Tommy Lee back catalog stuff with be a joke. Most of the Tommy solo stuff I've heard has been bad rap-metal.
Old 03-14-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather see a band look for a new drummer, than watch a singer try to impress a drummer.
Old 03-14-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now, if Tommy and Vince couldn't patch things up for the big reunion tour and they did Rock Star: Motley, that would be something to watch. But this makes no sense at all.
Old 03-14-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Well, Tommy Lee might be involved in the next edition of RockStar, but it looks like he won't necessarily be the sole focus. This was an article that a friend of mine sent to me.
The original article can be found here: http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/03/13/1486346.html

'Rock Star' hopefuls flock to Toronto

By BILL HARRIS -- Toronto Sun

It won't be Van Halen as a unit, but some members of Van Halen still could be part of it.

It sounds like the Queen connection is a no-go, though.

The Rock Star TV series, which made Canadian J.D. Fortune a star and re-energized Aussie rockers INXS last year, held auditions for Season Two yesterday at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto.

Rather than going with a veteran band that needs a singer, a new "supergroup" has been put together this time around featuring members of at least two pre-existing bands. All that's needed is a vocalist, and that's why the lineup to get into the Horseshoe yesterday went around the block.

"Combined, the people in this new band have sold 250 million records worldwide," Rock Star executive producer David Goffin said yesterday, between the wails of would-be crooners. Confirmation of who's in the band -- save the singer, of course -- is expected as early as today or tomorrow.

"I think it's going to blow people away," Goffin added. "It's not the Beatles, but it's pretty darn good."

Can you give us a hint? What nationality?

Goffin paused. "North American," he said.

No Brits, huh? Bye bye, Queen.

In the past few months, speculation circled around Van Halen and Queen with regard to the Rock Star franchise. But those waters were muddied when Queen embarked on a tour with former Bad Company frontman Paul Rodgers on vocals, and it was confirmed that Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony is going on tour with Sammy Hagar this summer.

But now the Rock Star speculation is starting to make sense. With a supergroup approach, it could be, say, Eddie Van Halen on guitar and Alex Van Halen on drums.

And Goffin did say "North American," so maybe there's a Canadian in there. Who was the bassist for Glass Tiger again?

Interestingly, Rock Star executives did not formulate this supergroup. "They've actually done it themselves," Goffin said. "They contacted the show. They sort of said, 'We need a singer and our Rolodex is pretty small, but TV's Rolodex is big.' "

It remains to be seen whether the supergroup concept will catch on as well as the INXS concept. Then again, Rock Star: INXS was more popular in Canada than it was in the United States, so there's no telling what the presence of an American guitar god like Eddie Van Halen might do for U.S. ratings.

Rock Star is a TV show at heart, but for the candidates at the Horseshoe yesterday it strictly was about music.

"I lined up at 7 a.m.," said Joy Thompson, a 27-year-old from Toronto who sang a rendition of Hello by Oasis. "I love singing and I like the idea of Rock Star because it's raw."

Dan Hunter, a 28-year-old from Brantford, grabbed the mike and announced, "I'm the first person who's going to sing AC/DC without music." He then concluded an a cappella version of Thunderstruck by saying, "I almost can hear the guitar."

Goffin said he can tell pretty quickly who's going to get a call-back and who isn't.

"The first five seconds you put down to nervousness, but after that it becomes clear," Goffin said. "Like the poor guy up there now (who shall remain nameless for publication purposes). He's just singing through his nose and I easily could fix it. But I don't have time to fix it."

Rock Star is scheduled to run from July through September on CBS and Global.
Old 03-14-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
ok, that sounds much better. i'm not huge on "supergroups", but at least it's not just Tommy Lee. This could open up a large back catalog, depending on who else is in it, and if they can get the rights.
Old 03-14-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Isn't VH1 doing a "supergroup" thing too?
Old 03-14-06, 05:24 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But if Alex Van Halen is in there at drums, what would Tommy do? You can't have two drummers. Unless Tommy is taking over the Dave Navarro 'co-host' role. I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Old 03-14-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, but the van halen stuff is just speculation (the tommy lee stuff might be, too). Hell, it's all speculation.
Old 03-15-06, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that Tommy Lee is pretty much confirmed to be part of the show. Maybe he will be a Dave Navarro type that won't be a part of the band, but I doubt it, since I think that Navarro will be back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.