Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with TV set optical out?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if there's a trick I'm missing in operating the optical output from my Sony wega xbr960. I'm trying to get digital sound from my TV to my receiver. The cable (6") seems to work as I checked it by hooking up the DVD player output to the receiver input. When I just plug it into the DVD player, I see the light out of the other end of the cable. However, when I plug the opt cable into the TV output slot I see no light on the other end. I removed both sides' plastic covers before using the cable. The receiver side seems OK due to good connection with DVD player (doublechecking using all 3 optical in's as well as the coaxial in). On the receiver I assigned the optical in to the TV device selection, and on the TV I set the audio to "speaker off" and "fixed". Every thing seems in order and all other slots (s-video, analogs, coaxials) seem operational on the dvd player, receiver and TV, except for the TV optical out.

Am I missing anything? Is this a common problem for TV's (losing optical out signal). Am I at the point where it's time to call Sony? It's still under warranty. It's the first time I've tried to use the optical out on this TV. Thanks.
Old 03-13-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you get tv reception - sat, cable box, etc? Most likely what is happening is that there is no digital audio to output. You should connect your cable box (or sat box) directly to your receiver via the optical output.
Old 03-13-06, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BobDole42
How do you get tv reception - sat, cable box, etc? Most likely what is happening is that there is no digital audio to output. You should connect your cable box (or sat box) directly to your receiver via the optical output.
That would be my thought as well. I don't have a built in tuner, so can't speak from experience, but I would think that unless you're watching via OTA HD it probably won't output via optical.
Old 03-13-06, 07:24 PM
Cool New Member

I have Comcast basic cable (analog) with the feed coming in via coaxial RG6 cable (no cable box). I guess that means my optical out on the TV is useless unless I subscribe to digital cable. Correct?

If so, I'm bummed. I guess I'll never know what the difference in sound is between the optical and the composite audio it sounds like I'm forced to use.
Old 03-13-06, 07:27 PM
Cool New Member

shelland, are you saying that since I have the built in tuner, there's a chance I'll hear some optical audio on the OTA HD channels (which only play at night where I am)?
Old 03-14-06, 08:04 AM
Cool New Member

Update:

I checked again regarding the optical output and it does work for the OTA HD channels. So when I'm on a HD channel, it works and when I change to a standard channel, the receiver defaults to the analog audio cable I have plugged in. I'm psyched! You can hear a big difference in the audio between optical and analog. Glad I checked with you guys before dragging Sony out to the house. Thanks again!
Old 03-14-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a cable box already, I'd consider upgrading to an HD cable box. It will probably only be another $5 a month. You will likely get more HD channels that way and you will get digital audio on ALL channels.
Old 03-14-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bilal
shelland, are you saying that since I have the built in tuner, there's a chance I'll hear some optical audio on the OTA HD channels (which only play at night where I am)?
Since you have a built in QAM tuner you should also get HD channels during the day. DiscoveryHD, INHD, ESPNHD and INHD2 play HD content w/ 5.1 surround throughout the day. ESPNHD switches back and forth from analog to HD. Even though you only subscribe to basic the HD signal is still being sent but deciphered w/ the built in tuner. Comcast (at least in my area) doesn't scramble the HD signal even with basic cable. I split the signal between the Motorola box and the TV. The box is connected by Component and the coaxial is using the "A" antenna imput on the TV. Sometimes I like watching w/ out the box but still get HD content. The toslink from both the box and tv goes into different imputs on my reciever. The only reason I have it set up this way is because I get HBO HD through Component only as well as all the HD content they offer.
Old 03-15-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update:

I checked again regarding the optical output and it does work for the OTA HD channels. So when I'm on a HD channel, it works and when I change to a standard channel, the receiver defaults to the analog audio cable I have plugged in. I'm psyched! You can hear a big difference in the audio between optical and analog. Glad I checked with you guys before dragging Sony out to the house. Thanks again!
Glad you're happy, and enjoy your new set.

FWIW, I second Sentator Dole's suggestion (HD cable box). I don't know about your provider, but mine (Cablevision) does not charge a nickel extra for the HD box. Of course, it does charge $10 for the HD DVR box, which IMO is essential for my sanity. (Impossible to watch TV without time-shifting when you have two kids and a full-time job.)
Old 03-15-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
If you have a cable box already, I'd consider upgrading to an HD cable box. It will probably only be another $5 a month. You will likely get more HD channels that way and you will get digital audio on ALL channels.
Comcast charges $10/mo., or $20 for a hd/dvr. I hate comcast.
Old 03-15-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Comcast charges $10/mo., or $20 for a hd/dvr. I hate comcast.
To be honest, I'm not sure what I pay, but $20 a month for an HD DVR is a sweet deal IMO. TiVo is $13 a month and doesn't record HD and only has one tuner (I literally threw my 1-st gen TiVo in the trash when I got my HD DVR). I am actually very happy with Comcast - I get tons of HD channels, a great DVR and I never have service issues, but maybe that's just me. I don't know how cheap you expect it to be?
Old 03-15-06, 11:31 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks, I'll give Comcast a call about the HD box. Sounds like you guys are saying that even with basic analog cable, I can add on some sort of HD box (for $10 or so) to 1. pick up OTA HD stations all day (not just at night, which is happening now), and 2. pick up more OTA stations, and 3. enable me to hear digital audio on all stations. Plus, I don't have to upgrade to Comcast digital cable to do this. Correct? This all sounds too good to be true. I'm sure I misunderstood something.

I'm trying to learn a little about this stuff as I go along. Can you help me with these questions? As I said, I have Comcast basic analog cable with the feed hooked directly to my TV via the RG6 cable (no cable box).

What does the HD box do that my current feed doesn't do? Why do I only get OTA at night, and why would the HD box
- add more OTA stations?
- add all day OTA viewing and not just night viewing?
- enable digital audio on all stations (even analog ones?)
Old 03-15-06, 01:17 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why do I only get OTA at night
You mean you get nothing from the station during the day? Or that it just isn't HD programming on the digital channel?

The vast majority of programming is not HD, even on the digital channels. The exception is during primetime, but even then, non-HD shows can be found (Scrubs, Simpsons, Family Guy, ...). Getting a cable box is not going to change that.

If the channel is only transmitting a signal during the night... that is odd.

Last edited by mbs; 03-15-06 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 02:30 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, rough count is about 20-30 stations and the signal only kicks in after 8 or 9 pm nightly. A few are the music only stations. A couple are movie type channels. The majority seem to be the HD version of the various networks. So for instance if Scrubs is running on channel 7 (ABC analog, the traditional channel), at the same time you can flip to channel 81.4 to see the HD feed of Scubs running at the same time. At any other time before the 8 or 9 pm time I mentioned, if you flip on any of those channels you get a "no signal" note on the screen and screen remains black. Haven't stayed up long enough to see when they all shut off but I'm guessing 1 or 2 in the morning. Not sure why I only get the signal at night. Figured this was normal.
Old 03-15-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As mbs said, there isn't a ton of HD programming, but there are some networks that are HD-only (TNT HD, Discovery HD, INHD1, INHD2, etc.)

I would look at a digital cable package - you can get a great DVR from comcast that can record two shows at the same time. I love mine. IMO, it's a shame to have a great tv like you have and not have digital cable + HD, but that is, of course, only my opinion...
Old 03-15-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks, I'll give Comcast a call about the HD box. Sounds like you guys are saying that even with basic analog cable, I can add on some sort of HD box (for $10 or so) to 1. pick up OTA HD stations all day (not just at night, which is happening now), and 2. pick up more OTA stations, and 3. enable me to hear digital audio on all stations. Plus, I don't have to upgrade to Comcast digital cable to do this. Correct? This all sounds too good to be true. I'm sure I misunderstood something.

I'm trying to learn a little about this stuff as I go along. Can you help me with these questions? As I said, I have Comcast basic analog cable with the feed hooked directly to my TV via the RG6 cable (no cable box).

What does the HD box do that my current feed doesn't do? Why do I only get OTA at night, and why would the HD box
- add more OTA stations?
- add all day OTA viewing and not just night viewing?
- enable digital audio on all stations (even analog ones?)
You will get the same amount of HD channels with or without the box; the only difference is if you subscribe to a premium channel such as HBO, Showtime etc. You will get those on top of the ones your actually recieving through the coaxial cable alone. At least for me that's how it works for my local Comcast. You don't have to get one of their packages to get the box. I subscribe to basic cable and HBO only.

One thing you have to make sure is that when you get the box; make sure the installer installs it into the component imputs of your TV. I'm serious when I say some of these guys don't know jack shit about installing an HD box. You can also use the DVI/HDMI port but you have to buy the cable yourself. He will however have the component cables with him if he's competent. Also, you have to make sure he shows you how to get into the secret menu where you can change the output of the signal i.e. 720P or 1080i; whichever the native resolution of your TV is. If this isn't done it will look like crap because you won't be sending the correct signal to your TV.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-15-06 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You will also get channels like TNTHD, Discovery HD, ESPN HD, etc.

Some of these cables guys are pretty clueless. Component cables should be fine - you have a direct view tv so don't worry about native resolutions. I'd leave the box at 1080i. To get to the menu that mrhan mentioned, you hit the "Setup" button on the remote while the box is off. Be sure to get the DVR if it's available.