Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

suprised at how high volume needs to be turned up on receiver

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 02:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just set up my Onkyo 90 w receiver (my first HT) and I'm surprised at how much I need to turn up the volume to hear decent sound (I watch mostly TV shows on DVD). I know I can boost the speaker volume more and make other adjustments, but I believe the settings are fine and I was just suprised that you have to go to 45 minimum to get decent volume.

I don't have a question other than wondering if others felt the same at some point. I guess I'm used to the stereo receivers I had as a teen when you turn it up to 4 or 5 (and get decent volume).

I guess on the upgrade years from now, I'd have to go with the HK receiver to get a real bump up in volume. Correct?
Old 03-11-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When comparing the volume number on your old receiver to the number on your Onkyo the relationship is meaningless. The only thing that matters is the decibel output and not the scale that it's measured on. Inefficient speakers will make an amp work harder for the same volume but you're comparing a scale of 1 to 10 with a scale that is now 1 to 100.
Old 03-11-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As chip said, you can't really compare the volume on your onkyo to the volume on your new receiver. A lot going into how loud the sound is - the sensitivity of your speakers, the size of your room, the power of your receiver, etc. Also, DVDs are mastered at a lower volume level than CDs, so you may perceive your dvds as being quieter. As far as upgrading, HK does make some decent receivers, but they certainly aren't the only game in town. Other onkyos, maranztz, denon, etc should also be on your list. Or you can go crazy and get a separate amp
Old 03-12-06, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
My Onkyo has to be turned up quite a bit as well, especially when watching movies compared to cds. I just figured it was made that way so I would have more range for watching movies.
Old 03-12-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bilal
I just set up my Onkyo 90 w receiver (my first HT) and I'm surprised at how much I need to turn up the volume to hear decent sound (I watch mostly TV shows on DVD). I know I can boost the speaker volume more and make other adjustments, but I believe the settings are fine and I was just suprised that you have to go to 45 minimum to get decent volume.

I don't have a question other than wondering if others felt the same at some point. I guess I'm used to the stereo receivers I had as a teen when you turn it up to 4 or 5 (and get decent volume).

I guess on the upgrade years from now, I'd have to go with the HK receiver to get a real bump up in volume. Correct?
missing from the equation is the wattage rating of your speakers. If you have big floor standing speakers like me, yes, you are going to have to turn up the receiver to push them. If you've got 5.25s, then 25-30 is probably where you'd turn your receiver up.
Old 03-12-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
missing from the equation is the wattage rating of your speakers. If you have big floor standing speakers like me, yes, you are going to have to turn up the receiver to push them. If you've got 5.25s, then 25-30 is probably where you'd turn your receiver up.
It's not really the wattage rating that determines volume, but rather the sensitivity of the speakers. Big floorstanding speakers can be more efficient than smaller bookshelf speakers. All things being equal, a sensitivity difference of 3db will require twice the wattage to produce the same volume.
Old 03-13-06, 07:30 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the replies. I also went on AVS and saw some old thread with folks specifically singling out Onkyo receivers and my model (603x) as this being a normal thing. Apparently the volume doesn't really kick in until 40+ (and even 50-70 for several posters) and the consensus was to not worry as long as you're getting clean sound and can find a level that works for you...basically don't worry about what the dial says. Some even claimed that perhaps some of the other brands front loaded the volume (so you hear higher volume earlier) but that Onkyo doesn't do that. Not sure if that part is true, but I'm more relieved now. Thanks again!

Last edited by bilal; 03-14-06 at 08:07 AM.