DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Arrested Devlopment Season 3 August 29

Rypro 525
03-10-06, 04:34 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5283

Arrested Development - The final (?) season announced
Posted by Gord Lacey
3/10/2006
This 2 disc set will contain the 13 episodes produced for season 3 (286 mins). The set will sell for $29.98

Disc 1:
The Cabin Show
The British Bombshell
Forget Me Now
Notapusy
Mr. F
Ocean Walker
Prison Break-In

Disc 2:
Making A Stand
S.O.B.s
Fakin' It
Family Ties
Exit Strategy
Harboring Resentment

The Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1) picture will be accompanied by an English Surround audio track, and English, French and Spanish subtitles. We haven't heard what the bonus material will be, but there should be some on the set.

Edited per request.

auto
03-10-06, 05:16 PM
Can't wait....great (although short) season.

reubs82
03-10-06, 05:19 PM
Great. I've been waiting for S3 to come out, and I'll get them all at one time. We watched S1 but could never get to S2 and bailed completely on S3 b/c we had missed all of S2.

Again, great news. Thanks much.

mdc3000
03-10-06, 06:45 PM
Can't wait...but only 2 discs! Guessing they'll be pretty shy with the extras...

MATT

Geofferson
03-10-06, 06:47 PM
Awesome. :up:

Gord Lacey
03-10-06, 06:55 PM
Rypo, please post a link to the article, don't copy/paste the entire thing into a forum post.

Thanks,
Gord

chase3001
03-10-06, 07:10 PM
A little off topic, but has there been any definite info that this show will be picked up by Showtime?

bis22
03-10-06, 07:20 PM
$29.98 is pretty damn good if that's the MSRP!

TheMadMonk
03-10-06, 07:21 PM
Rypo, thanks for posting the entire thing in a forum post, and not just linking to the article. Saves me from having to load another page. ;)

Seantn
03-10-06, 07:24 PM
Yes, thanks for pasting the article in this thread :)

TheMovieman
03-10-06, 07:29 PM
Yeah, the MSRP is good but hopefully they'll at least provide a couple commentary tracks like the others (especially the final episodes).

The Antipodean
03-10-06, 08:40 PM
Thread title says June 10, thread itself says June 13 -- which is it? I'm assuming the 13th since that's a Tuesday tho....

IamLennon
03-10-06, 10:45 PM
Can't wait to buy this! This show has a high rewatchability factor...here's hoping it gets picked up by Showtime!

illennium
03-10-06, 10:50 PM
Can't wait for this... I hadn't heard the Showtime rumor, but if it's true I'll be subscribing to Showtime.

dsa_shea
03-10-06, 11:34 PM
Can't wait for this... I hadn't heard the Showtime rumor, but if it's true I'll be subscribing to Showtime.

I'll be subscribing to continuous seasons on dvd, although there hasn't been a Showtime related dvd that I've been very impressed with. I'm hoping that if the seasons continue that they keep continuity in the sets and the extras as well as the packaging. I also hope they don't start putting "Showtime" type content in the show.

Abob Teff
03-11-06, 01:15 AM
This leads me to a question that has plagued me for a long time: How many people watch TV shows on DVD, but never watch them on TV?

I for one practically NEVER watch TV. I have not had cable for over three years and do not have the ability to sit down and watch any show on a regular basis (between a floating work schedule and 4 kids the only "down" time I have is after midnight). How much damage does this do to the ratings? I have bought the first two seasons of AD and love the show, but I don't think I have ever watched a broadcast of it.

I guess this leads to a proposal I made a long time ago . . . how long before we see a "TV" show that is made for direct to DVD release? Does the new iPod craze strengthen this possibility? I suppose the loss of advertising $$ would put a real crimp in the concept, but I think it is very viable for an independent production company to market a new disc every month with 4 episodes on it.

Back on track . . . so Fox is officially done with AD? Were there only supposed to be 13 episodes or was the plug pulled early? Showtime, PLEASE keep it going!

jdslater1
03-11-06, 06:03 AM
This is brilliant news, we still haven't got S3 over here in the UK yet. But in the past I've always got the dvd anyway.

Reynolds
03-11-06, 06:17 AM
I'll definitely pick this up.

I was actually thinking the other day that Arrested Development should experiment by being the first straight-to-dvd "tv" show, since apparently no one on television will recognize its brilliance.

Gord Lacey
03-11-06, 11:49 AM
Rypo, thanks for posting the entire thing in a forum post, and not just linking to the article. Saves me from having to load another page. ;)

And that's exactly why we have a problem with it. You didn't go to the site to read the original article, so you missed out on various links. We have no way of updating Rypo's post here if we happen to go back and change the article (which happens sometimes). There's also the issue of copyright; our content is being repurposed on this site.

We have reasons for wanting people to go to the site and read the original article, please respect them.

Gord Lacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Admiral7
03-11-06, 03:43 PM
The Showtime rumor was so big it was actually worked into episode 9 of the 3rd season, as well as the HBO rumor that proceeded it ("Home Builders Organization"). There was originally intended to be a full season of 22 episodes, but was cut short early, just as last season was cut down to 18 episodes, and was also worked into the show when the original slate of 22 new model homes was cut down to 18 due to budget constraints. BRILLIANT SHOW!!!

GuruTwo
03-11-06, 04:56 PM
I'll be subscribing to continuous seasons on dvd, although there hasn't been a Showtime related dvd that I've been very impressed with. I'm hoping that if the seasons continue that they keep continuity in the sets and the extras as well as the packaging. I also hope they don't start putting "Showtime" type content in the show.

Why would it be any different? Fox will always own the show regardless of who is airing it. It would be a similar case to "Buffy" and "Angel", which aired on the WB and UPN but were always released by Fox on DVD because they actually own the show.

bsktballDude1
03-11-06, 05:14 PM
I cannot wait to pick this one up.

Eric D.
03-11-06, 05:43 PM
This is great news! I'll be there release day to get this.

dsa_shea
03-11-06, 08:12 PM
Why would it be any different? Fox will always own the show regardless of who is airing it. It would be a similar case to "Buffy" and "Angel", which aired on the WB and UPN but were always released by Fox on DVD because they actually own the show.

It's not a matter of who owns the show, but rather what the network that aires it wants the show to contain.

GuruTwo
03-11-06, 08:28 PM
It's not a matter of who owns the show, but rather what the network that aires it wants the show to contain.

No, Showtime would have nothing to do with the DVD release, just like the WB and UPN had nothing to do with the Buffy and Angel releases, NBC has nothing to do with Seinfeld seasons, etc. Fox owns "Arrested Development" so they'll be in control of the DVD release, period.

The only time a network has anything to do with the DVD release of a season set is if they own the show outright, like most HBO and Comedy Central shows, but that will not be the case with "Arrested Development", which Fox owns.

dsa_shea
03-11-06, 09:31 PM
Did anyone, that has responded to what I've written, actually read my original post? I stated that if (and a big if) Showtime picks up the show, I'm hoping that they don't make any content changes to the show to make it more friendly to the Showtime crowd.

Rypro 525
03-11-06, 09:35 PM
i bet if it were to go to showtime, they'd be a tad more racy, that is of course if there are jokes that standards and practices at fox didn't like.

dsa_shea
03-11-06, 09:39 PM
i bet if it were to go to showtime, they'd be a tad more racy, that is of course if there are jokes that standards and practices at fox didn't like.

Thanks for your reply. At least you're on board with what I was saying. I just hope that the show keeps it continuity in production if it continues on Showtime or wherever else. Let's hope it lives on so we can enjoy!

GuruTwo
03-11-06, 10:21 PM
Did anyone, that has responded to what I've written, actually read my original post? I stated that if (and a big if) Showtime picks up the show, I'm hoping that they don't make any content changes to the show to make it more friendly to the Showtime crowd.

Look at what you said:

there hasn't been a Showtime related dvd that I've been very impressed with. I'm hoping that if the seasons continue that they keep continuity in the sets and the extras as well as the packaging.

You mentioned cantinuity in the "sets", "extras" and "packaging" which clearly refer to the DVD release and those shouldn't be problems since Fox would still be handling the DVD releases.

Showtime would obviously have influence over the show if they ordered and aired the episodes but I'd be willing to bet that they don't want to bring "Arrested Development" to their network only to change the style of the show.

RyoHazuki
03-12-06, 04:41 PM
I also would like to thank Rypro for posting the article. Saved me the trouble of clicking on that preorder link on their page.

Bill Needle
03-12-06, 05:05 PM
June 13 should be just in time for the DDD summer sale. Excellent.

Heartagram
03-13-06, 04:04 AM
woo hoo! Brilliant show, very excited too see what Mitchell Hurwitz works on next if not more AD(which is prefered).

ShallowHal
03-13-06, 04:27 AM
Nice, now I can finally watch it. With all the time changes my DVR didn't pick them all up, and I knew it wouldn't make sense if I missed one.

Dead
03-13-06, 07:00 PM

In some cases I would agree with you. But did you happen to notice the name on the article looked very familiar...

Arrested Development - The final (?) season announced

Posted by Gord Lacey
3/10/2006

Producer Ron Howard's critically-acclaimed, fan-favorite series about the weird and wacky Bluth family returns for its third (and possibly final) uproarious season. ...

Rypo, please post a link to the article, don't copy/paste the entire thing into a forum post.

Thanks,
Gord

So, in this case, it only seems reasonable to follow the request.

dsa_shea
03-13-06, 07:45 PM
I think you have to respect Gord Lacey and his site. Thanks for the info. and I'm looking forward to seeing the third season on dvd.

Chew
03-15-06, 07:21 AM
I missed this thread the first time!

Great news, June can't come fast enough.

COME ON!

kramdenfan
03-21-06, 02:04 PM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5363

:(

"A few weeks ago we brought you news of a June release for the third season, but today we've received news that the set has been postponed. We called over to Fox and were told the set is just postponed, not cancelled; it will be out later this year.

Note to Showtime: Please pick up this show. We've heard the rumors...please stop teasing us."

(the site wouldn't let me copy and paste!!)

Gord Lacey
03-21-06, 02:07 PM
Hah! I came here to post the news and Kramdenfan beat me. That's funny.

Gord

kramdenfan
03-21-06, 02:08 PM
are you on a notification list, too, Gord?

Morf
03-21-06, 02:12 PM
are you on a notification list, too, Gord?

Heh heh. ;)

Gord Lacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

kramdenfan
03-21-06, 02:20 PM
lol... guess so.

tonymontana313
03-21-06, 11:44 PM
Could it be that they are postponing this till a new season starts airing on Showtime?

LorenzoL
03-22-06, 05:32 AM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5363

:(

"A few weeks ago we brought you news of a June release for the third season, but today we've received news that the set has been postponed. We called over to Fox and were told the set is just postponed, not cancelled; it will be out later this year.

Note to Showtime: Please pick up this show. We've heard the rumors...please stop teasing us."

(the site wouldn't let me copy and paste!!)
Noooooooooo!

battboyy
05-08-06, 01:25 PM
It's back on the schedule for August 29.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5624

The Antipodean
05-08-06, 02:57 PM
August? COME ON!

canaryfarmer
05-08-06, 03:04 PM
Maybe it's an illusion.

Michael Corvin
05-08-06, 03:51 PM
Allusion. Illusion was used by some band.

reubs82
05-08-06, 07:57 PM
Hopefully there will be some deal with the other two...I'm not going to be able to wait for a box set (if that ever happens), but I want all three of them at the same time. Thanks for the news, BTW!

bsktballDude1
05-08-06, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the news. I hope the date sticks.

Michael Corvin
05-08-06, 10:21 PM
Hopefully there will be some deal with the other two...I'm not going to be able to wait for a box set (if that ever happens), but I want all three of them at the same time. Thanks for the news, BTW!

They have both been on sale for as low as $15 each. Not sure how much cheaper you expect to get by waiting for the third season.

MikeDeN2K
05-09-06, 10:22 AM
Perhaps they are waiting until August because they are cramming the DVD with commentaries and featurettes.

Maybe not.

dsa_shea
05-09-06, 07:43 PM
Or perhaps because it is only two discs and they have essentially shelved the show that we will get little as far as extras.

Chaza
05-10-06, 01:07 AM
Or perhaps because it is only two discs and they have essentially shelved the show that we will get little as far as extras.

I dunno, the Mr. Show dvds had commentaries on every ep, and were about as long lengthwise per disc.

Venom
05-10-06, 05:50 AM
I guess this leads to a proposal I made a long time ago . . . how long before we see a "TV" show that is made for direct to DVD release? Does the new iPod craze strengthen this possibility? I suppose the loss of advertising $$ would put a real crimp in the concept, but I think it is very viable for an independent production company to market a new disc every month with 4 episodes on it.

TV Direct to TV? TDT? *shrug*

the means are there, and it will, eventually happen, if done right. But who would make such a blind faith leap? Atleast, the first few trys would fail, despite, it actually being workable. say if family guy or (case in point) Ad did it, it could(of) set the bar. The problem, mainly... i think, is that it takes money to make a tv show (duh) but today do you not only have the cost of ads helping to pay for the show or get profit, you also have the dvd rental sales. if you make tv for dvd you, using standard thought, immediately lose tv ad money.

i think the real problem is ratings. i don't know a single soul who is neilson (sp?) member. not even a friend or a friend (or a friend of a friend, friend.)
with digital cable, DVR, Ondemand for everyone(!) we really could get an honest to god count. And that i think would actually help in keeping good tv shows around. at worst, it would atleast help to know how many functionaly retarded people we have living and watching in america.

the only true downside to using cable/sat/dvr to gather everyones watching habits is an envasion of privacy. but given the patriot act, does it really mater that much? well, yeah it does, but make it annoymous and such. not that i want to give up my interests to the government, but i'd give consent to acknowledge my viewing habits to be calculated to keep the shows i like/love/enjoy on the air.

Gord Lacey
05-10-06, 05:11 PM
I think the chances of a direct-to-DVD series is pretty slim. There's the cost of producing the material without the "normal" outlet for people seeing it. Plus you have to assume that actors would want to tie themselves to something without normal distribution. I think most actors would rather jump to a pilot with an uncertain future.

Gord

Matt
05-10-06, 05:15 PM
Perhaps they are waiting until August because they are cramming the DVD with commentaries and featurettes.

Obviously, they're releasing it in late August to tie in with the start of Season 4, in September.

(What?)

Oh.

:sad:

dsa_shea
05-10-06, 05:31 PM
I sure hope theyre packed to the gills with extras. I'm not going to hold my breath though. I really just want to see the episodes since I failed (miserably) to catch them on tv. Is the third season as good as the first two?

Ianscloset
05-10-06, 08:57 PM
Its just as good if not better, and the series finale was just Amazing!!!
It is just rediculous how well written this show is, it REALLY is (was?) the smartest show on Television

canaryfarmer
05-10-06, 10:43 PM
There are moments of brilliance in Season 3 that eclipse anything in the first two seasons.

/seriously, who doesn't sing "MR. F" to themselves every day at some point? :)

dsa_shea
05-11-06, 06:37 PM
After those responses I can't wait to get my hands on these 13 episodes.

Drexl
05-11-06, 06:51 PM
I missed the songs playable from the menu that were on the first season set. I hope they're on this one. "It ain't easy being white..."

i86time
05-11-06, 08:52 PM
I think it'd be nice if they included alternate takes from all three seasons. They showed a couple classics in season 2 tv spots (which weren't even on season 2 discs!).

kramdenfan
05-16-06, 01:12 PM
Artwork for the S3 set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5660

canaryfarmer
05-16-06, 01:16 PM
Cool. I was hoping for another white spine. Good cover, too. A shame the ball-and-chain art never got used in any incarnation.

ShallowHal
06-01-06, 08:06 AM
Any more news on the release date? Amazon doesn't have one, but Overstock.com has a ship date for August.

rfduncan
06-01-06, 11:09 AM
Any more news on the release date? Amazon doesn't have one, but Overstock.com has a ship date for August.
Yeah. This thread title had my hopes up. :(

Checking the calendar it would not have been 6/10 anyway - that's a Saturday. DVDPriceSearch lists it as being released on 06/13/06.

Matt
06-01-06, 11:15 AM
Did you guys actually read the thread? The DVD was bumped to August 29.

rfduncan
06-01-06, 11:18 AM
Did you guys actually read the thread? The DVD was bumped to August 29.
Wasn't going to go through three pages of "love the artwork". Shouldn't the thread TITLE simply be corrected?:brickwl2:

Matt
06-01-06, 11:26 AM
:hscratch:

Both the news of the delay and the new date were posted in the middle of page two, and the artwork was just recently posted, just a few posts up.

At any rate, you're right--the subject should be changed, to avoid any further confusion, and that's why I reported it to a mod right after I made my post above.

LorenzoL
06-29-06, 03:00 PM
tvshowsondvd.com is reporting the following extras for the Season 3 set:
- audio commentaries
- deleted/extended scenes
- gag reel
- featurette

Click on the link for specific details...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5931

Imodium
07-06-06, 12:20 PM
Series Creator Mitchel Hurwitz Says "No More Arrested Development." (http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/88/11788.php)

Sad indeed, but, can't wait for the DVD release.