Battlestar Galactica moving to NBC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Battlestar Galactica moving to NBC?

Did a search and didn't see this:

http://bitsofnews.com/modules.php?na...ticle&sid=3448

For those of you already stocking up on popcorn and beverages for this friday's 90 minute season two finale of "Battlestar Galactica", which we've already done a thorough job spoiling right here, this might not be the news you'd like to hear. For reasons that that still are a bit murky the show will break ranks with the two "Stargates" and the tripple Sci-Fi Channel whammy on Friday nights.

Production on the third season will commence in April in Vancouver, Canada. But the word is that it will not begin airing until October, four months behind the usual schedule.

There are mutterings that one reason could be that parent network NBC is considering lifting the critically acclaimed show from the smaller niche channel to NBC proper, as there's a dearth of promising new shows in the pipeline, according to SyFy Portal.
NBC has already tried to rebroadcast specific episodes, including an abbreviated version of the pilot, of the show to expectedly low-ratings results. Of course, those were expected because the episodes already aired. But given the mainstream critical acclaim of the series, as well as its tremendous popularity in iTunes downloads (as well as continued illegal downloads), there is some chatter that NBC Universal -- which owns both SciFi Channel and NBC -- could be considering moving the series to NBC.
I think this would be the worst possible thing to happen to the show. Nothing kills a niche show like this faster than putting it out in front of the masses.
Old 03-09-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*shrug* Monk was on ABC for a short time. It survived.

If true, I would not expect it to last long. Even in the graveyard that is friday network primetime.
Old 03-09-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Depends on what demographic NBC is looking for, 100% of the fans from SciFi would follow, but is that enough for a Network?

Since the quick demise of Love Monkey, I have lost all faith in the Networks.

But, at worst, they flip it back to SciFi if it fails right? Plus we would get the shows in highDef as an original airing which would be a positive
Old 03-09-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since we don't get SciFi here in Canada (and I rely on the net for my BSG fix), this is the best news I've read in a long time.

Go NBC!
Old 03-09-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree Draven, a move to a major network with a bunch of dicks in suits would kill this show. Possibly killing SciFi as well since the SciFriday shows seem to be the most popular and carry the channel.
Old 03-09-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it goes to NBC, theres goes the show. Say goodbye to it.
Old 03-09-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ONLY positive I'd get out of this would be the fact we'd be able to see first run episodes in 5.1 HD.

Other than that, terrible idea.
Old 03-09-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
On the bright side, we can now look for some "very special episodes" Matt LebLanc as Cylon # 1 perhaps?
Old 03-09-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't see this happening, the audience just seems too small for network TV. And I agree the idea doesn't sound good for the show.
Old 03-09-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sci fi doesnt do well on Major networks. Why do networks always play dumb when it comes to scheduling. NBC cant even nurture a good show like Scrubs and they think they can handle a niche show like B.G??
Old 03-09-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Monk was not actually on ABC. They showed reruns of that weeks episode late Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Old 03-09-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
Monk was not actually on ABC. They showed reruns of that weeks episode late Saturday night/Sunday morning.
I'm confused by your first sentence, Monk ABC repeats did actually play on many different evenings:

As a fill-in on Monday and Thursday nights last season, "Monk" drew an average of about 6.9 million viewers for ABC. The network would probably be pretty happy with a similar number in its (new) Saturday slot.
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...775|1|,00.html
Old 03-09-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree that this is a bad idea.
Old 03-09-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Won't matter to me. I tivo and watch it the next night anyway so I can skip the commercials. I don't like the idea of it being off until October, but I came late to the first season, so I can adjust. My guess is that they show 3-5 episodes on NBC and it gets kicked back.
Old 03-09-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please, Please, No. If BSG moves to NBC, it will mark the total demise of the show. Time to look forward to Dr. Who.
Old 03-09-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they probably won't let them say 'frack'.
Old 03-09-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Since the quick demise of Love Monkey, I have lost all faith in the Networks.
It appears that LM may be the case of the network waiting until the debut to determine that the show did not fit conceptually with a single other show on its network and saving as many episodes as possible for a relaunch on the more compatible CW. If that happens and the show is successful on CW, I would have to argue that this would be something to point to when talking about the good moves a network made.

I see little risk to BG here. I don't think the content would have to be changed to allow the show to air on NBC from what little I have seen of the show (ironically, on NBC). If it catches on, the show could see higher budgets and a more widespread following. If it doesn't catch on, I see little reason why the show couldn't simply be moved back to SciFi.
Old 03-09-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't believe it's off until October. Damn!

And I say run the episodes already produced and on DVD this summer and see what happens, but yeah I think NBC would Fuck up a good thing. Let's see what Ron Moore has to say. He will surely adress it in the blog.
Old 03-09-06, 08:00 PM
Banned

Sci fi shows do better on cable where they can have crappy ratings.
Old 03-09-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Folks,

Battlestar Galactica going to NBC is not as crazy an idea as you think.

First of all, NBC this coming Fall won't have to compete against NFL football, given that NBC will have an whole evening of NFL football on Sunday nights during the season. I can see NBC putting the show on either Monday or Tuesday nights at either 9 pm or 10 pm (ET/PT).

Secondly, people forget that BSG has the type of viewer demographics highly wanted by the broadcast networks, namely 18-34 male viewers. It won't be the biggest audience but the strong viewer loyalty translates very well for advertisers.

Finally, I'm sure that as part of Ronald D. Moore's contract with NBC/Universal the Standards and Practices offices will keep their interference to a minimum on the show.
Old 03-09-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
NBC=Real Time HDTV broadcast

And that, in itself, is a good thing.
Old 03-09-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Considering some of the stuff I've seen in the various crime dramas that play on the big 3, I don't think there'd be a big problem with some of the more extreme material. My biggest fear would interference on a storytelling level. Do I need to drag out the old dead horse about how NBC cancelled Star Trek not once, but twice back in the 60's?

HD would be a plus, but that's all I can think of.
Old 03-09-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
I'm confused by your first sentence, Monk ABC repeats did actually play on many different evenings:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...775|1|,00.html

I did not realize they used it as a fill in on Monday and Thursday, but they were reruns of the previous season, not new airings or even the current season. NBC is talking about airing the 3rd season first run. My statement was to the comment that Monk aired on ABC and survived, it is a different situation.
Old 03-09-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Do I need to drag out the old dead horse about how NBC cancelled Star Trek not once, but twice back in the 60's?
Just about the only thing the current NBC has in common with that NBC is the Peacock. Even that looks different now, too.

If you're worried about NBC canning the show for dumb reasons, you should be just as worried about SciFi doing so because both channels have shared ownership.
Old 03-09-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Just about the only thing the current NBC has in common with that NBC is the Peacock. Even that looks different now, too.

If you're worried about NBC canning the show for dumb reasons, you should be just as worried about SciFi doing so because both channels have shared ownership.
And Sci-Fi has a worse history of cancelling great Sci-Fi series with a larger following.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.