Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Has Stopped Being the Best Buy on New DVDs

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-06, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at Best Buy's prices the last several weeks, they have been beaten by Circuit City in most cases.

This week Best Buy's price on HARRY POTTER was $1 more. Next week, Best Buy's price on GOOD NIGHT 7 GOOD LUCK and HISTORY OF VIOLENCE is $2 higher than Circuit City.

This is not just a one or two week event as I have noticed their prices being beaten routinely the last several months. Yes, I know I can price match with BB, but it's frequently such a hassle as they have to double check the price.

Having the price on a flyer is just not enough for them anymore. They don't want to price match if it says "limited quantity" or if the competitor offers a different "freebie" than what they offer.

If you think they are higher on newly released DVDs, just check their DVD box sets!
Old 03-08-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i used to buy a ton of DVDs there, now it's usually circuit city if I buy from a B & M. Lately amazon with the free tax/shipping has been even cheaper than Circuit City in most cases, too--even better than DDD. Even if amazon is a little more than DDD I still order from them anyway since I get my order in 2-3 days, as opposed to a 2 week MINIMUM with DDD (which is often longer).
Old 03-08-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no reason to go to Best Buy. In the event they have a cheaper price I just go to Circuit City.
Old 03-09-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stop giving this shit hole your money!!!!!!

Last edited by bballing; 03-09-06 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-09-06, 12:41 AM

I have a question - I noticed with the DVDS I purchased from Best Buy, they don't have inserts inside the DVD, it's just empty, except for the DVD of course... does Circuit City do this?
Old 03-09-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally Posted by BMan100
I have a question - I noticed with the DVDS I purchased from Best Buy, they don't have inserts inside the DVD, it's just empty, except for the DVD of course... does Circuit City do this?
Yes! Circuit City has a special merchandising deployment team that quietly sneaks into Best Buy early Tuesday morning and removes all of the inserts.
Old 03-09-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 03-09-06, 04:44 AM
Banned

This is a PRIME example of when you want to use price matching, then get the bonus difference. Maybe not a hassle on a single $1 difference, but if you are getting several, it can add up...
Old 03-09-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Yes! Circuit City has a special merchandising deployment team that quietly sneaks into Best Buy early Tuesday morning and removes all of the inserts.
Old 03-09-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it is a case of other stores catching up with and now passing Bestbuy...
Old 03-09-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Heathen
This is a PRIME example of when you want to use price matching, then get the bonus difference. Maybe not a hassle on a single $1 difference, but if you are getting several, it can add up...
This is what I do the majority of the time. I've never really had a problem PMing at BB and getting my extra 10% of the difference, even if it is just 10 cents. I've got the RZ card, and getting those extra points makes a difference too.

Normally, even if there's a bonus disc packed in, they don't care. They did, however, on Saw II, and they asked if I wanted to buy it anyways for the extra $2. I told them I'd go to where the cheapest price was, and went down the road to CC.
Old 03-09-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Not to pile on here, but I can't remember the last time I bought anything from Best Buy.

I think it was a season-one Farscape "Starburst" set... which would put it well into the middle of last year.

Like many, Circuit City and Target have been getting most of my new-release business these days.
Old 03-09-06, 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Shagrath]This is what I do the majority of the time. I've never really had a problem PMing at BB and getting my extra 10% of the difference, even if it is just 10 cents. I've got the RZ card, and getting those extra points makes a difference too.

QUOTE]

More often that not, BB does not even give me the 10% difference. I guess they feel that giving me a straight price match is enough.

Just another of the hassles of price matching at BB!
Old 03-09-06, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Sarcasm aside, does Circuit City take out the inserts from the DVDs they sale like Best Buy does? I'm talking about the New DVD Release ads and Chapter info that's normally located on the left side of the DVD box when opened. Because if so, i'll just stick with Target and Wal-Mart. I was tired of Best Buy's DVDs looking empty... it looks cheap.
Old 03-09-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdirv

More often that not, BB does not even give me the 10% difference. I guess they feel that giving me a straight price match is enough.

Just another of the hassles of price matching at BB!
Do you PM before or after buying the item? The times I've PMed at CC when buying, they just matched the price, but when I've PMed at BB *after* buying the item [sometimes five minutes after], I get the 10%. I'll walk from the register to the customer service desk for 10% cash.

Actually, that's their policy.

"If you're about to buy and discover a lower price than ours, let us know and we'll match that price on the spot. Already bought? We'll refund you the price difference, plus an additional 10% of that difference ¿ up to 30 days after your purchase"

So it's best to buy it, then go back and get it matched.

I still like Best Buy as a store better than CC, I just have a better 'feel' from the store, but yes, unless I've got coupons or gift cards, it does seem like CC has better prices or promotions, at least on new release DVDs.

Deep Discount DVD's prices seem to have lost their competitiveness as well, recently. Lots of the stuff I've checked is either more expensive at DDD or pretty much the same price as most other places.

Do Best Buy DVDs really not have inserts, when they would at other places?
Old 03-09-06, 12:23 PM
Retired

I generally just got to which ever store is more convenient for me. Before it was BB, since I moved it's Target or CC.

I never bother with the price matching. Too much hassle to save a few bucks for someone that only buys a DVD or two a month.
Old 03-09-06, 12:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I felt totally vindicatted the other day when I bought my copy of 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' (2Disc edition). Went up the register to price match to CompUSA price, the guy was like, 'oh we don't do CompUSA" - I was like "prove it", so he pulls up his little computer list - and lo and behold, it's there (I knew it was there, I had seen it in the past), he doesn't even apologize - I just laughed under my breath - 'ditz'
Old 03-09-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Sarcasm aside, does Circuit City take out the inserts from the DVDs they sell like Best Buy does? I'm talking about the New DVD Release ads and Chapter info that's normally located on the left side of the DVD box when opened. Because if so, i'll just stick with Target and Wal-Mart. I was tired of Best Buy's DVDs looking empty... it looks cheap.
Wouldn't that be the studios doing this?
Old 03-09-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Trout
Wouldn't that be the studios doing this?
Yes, do you know for sure that the DVDs you bought at Best Buy had the inserts to begin with? Some DVDs just don't come with inserts (and I admit, the majority of inserts are either ads or just chapter break info anyway) This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 03-09-06, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If there is no insert, then the studio didn't put one in. When you are watching a movie, are you looking over at the case and wondering why there is no insert? I don't understand why there is always such a fuss over this. What does a piece of paper have to do with enjoying watching a movie?
Old 03-09-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If there is no insert, then the studio didn't put one in. When you are watching a movie, are you looking over at the case and wondering why there is no insert? I don't understand why there is always such a fuss over this. What does a piece of paper have to do with enjoying watching a movie?
It's the damned clip. I think it drives some people crazy that there is a clip with nothing in it. I think it drives these same people even crazier when there is no clip at all. There was an expectation created (probably with CDs) that there would be some type of insert, and some people don't like it when their expectations are not met.
Old 03-09-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sarcasm aside, does Circuit City take out the inserts from the DVDs they sale like Best Buy does? I'm talking about the New DVD Release ads and Chapter info that's normally located on the left side of the DVD box when opened. Because if so, i'll just stick with Target and Wal-Mart. I was tired of Best Buy's DVDs looking empty... it looks cheap.
WB, Paramount, Universal, Dreamworks, Lion's Gate, etc... No longer issue inserts. You can buy your DVDs on the moon and you're still not going to get an insert. In fact, I'm guessing there are more DVDs now that come without an insert than DVDs that do.

On topic... I RARELY buy a DVD at Best Buy these days... I've got a RZ certificate at home AND a 10% off coupon for this weekend and I can't think of a thing that I would want from Best Buy.
Old 03-09-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I felt totally vindicatted the other day when I bought my copy of 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' (2Disc edition). Went up the register to price match to CompUSA price, the guy was like, 'oh we don't do CompUSA" - I was like "prove it", so he pulls up his little computer list - and lo and behold, it's there (I knew it was there, I had seen it in the past), he doesn't even apologize - I just laughed under my breath - 'ditz'
Yeah I know they have totally become bitches about price matching, one time after arguing for awile I just walked out and went to Walmart, price match no problem.

I get most of my DVDs from digital eyes now, they have cheaper prices and you save that money on sale tax free media mail I save so much more money then I ever did with that rewards zone crap.
Old 03-09-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
So what? If someone else has a better price than BB, you should be happy that you can get it cheaper, not complaining on a message board about BB. BB does have the best price on some stuff, just like Target and CC do on others. Your gonna be waiting forever if you expect there to be 1 store that has the best price on EVERYTHING.
Old 03-10-06, 04:49 AM

Last time I went to Best Buy it was for the B1G1 box set sale, and I ended up waiting in line 30+ minutes for in-store pickup.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.