Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Mounting speakers from ceiling?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm sure my question is a pipe dream but I'll give it a shot.
I bought the Athena Point 5 speaker set for my HT.

For the surround and rear satellites (roughly 7 lbs. each) http://www.athenaspeakers.com/s5specs.htm, I'm trying to avoid mounting them to the side and rear walls if at all possible. I was wondering if I could mount these from the ceiling. I know they are "wall mountable" but does that normally mean just wall or is ceiling typically possible? That's Question 1.

Question 2 is my ceiling (8 feet) is a drop ceiling with those white foam-core ceiling panels. Probably the standard panels (roughly 1 inch thick) you would order through Home Depot or a similar center. Is there any chance I could mount the speakers to those type of panels without having the panel collapse from the weight? I'm not even sure a screw would hold in the foam. Any way to reinforce the panel beforehand?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people has been able to mount a CRT projector from a ceiling, so I think it can be done. About the foam panel, I'm no expert but I believe people who have ceiling mount use a reinforced ceiling frame.
Old 03-11-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
In ceiling speakers are not that heavy, I would check the weight of the speakers and see if the panels have a strength or load rating. However for proper surround sound, ceiling mounting would not be recommended.