Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I heard, but I never listened (transfer quality)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-07-06, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way back when, I had the 36" Wega w/ enhanced mode. Anamorphic DVD's looked better, but nothing I would get too excited about. Moved on up to a 47" HDTV 4-5 years ago.. Transfer quality became more important, but I'd still pop in things like The Godfather or Rounders non SE and be able to enjoy it. I had seen the numerous complaints about the quality of the transfer in The Godfather, but on my set, it was extremely watchable. You could tell it wasn't as good as other films, but then again, it's over 30 years old. It's not going to be perfect.

Now, I finally get front projection. Watch Shawshank, it looks great. Watch the Stu Unger Indy film, that looks very good too. I then proceed to pop in Godfather... What the hell were they thinking?!? The sad thing is that this will be one of the few films where they get me again with the double dip when HD-DVD comes out w/ a new transfer.

Moral of the story, if you might be going very large in the size of your screen in the near future, listen to the people complaining about transfer quality. It really does rear it's ugly head in a big way. Just rent those films w/ questionable transfers while you have the smaller display.
Old 03-07-06, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Sigh*

As has been discussed ad naseum here at DVD Talk, there is nothing wrong with the transfer of "The Godfather." The original film negative is reportedly in very poor shape because of a particular type of film stock that was used when it was filmed. As to that the fact that the cinematographer was going for a particular look for the film, and "The Godfather" simply doesn't look like "Shawshank." Nor should it.

Originally Posted by guildda
Moral of the story, if you might be going very large in the size of your screen in the near future, listen to the people complaining about transfer quality. It really does rear it's ugly head in a big way. Just rent those films w/ questionable transfers while you have the smaller display.
The way I handle it is, I watch the films, not the transfers.
Old 03-07-06, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The way I handle it is, I watch the films, not the transfers.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Movies used to be a form of entertainment, a way to relax and forget about your daily troubles. I can't stand when people trash a film because of it's "sub-par transfer". A little less criticism and knitpicking, and you may just enjoy yourself a bit more. These are the same films we once embraced on VHS. I see nothing wrong with The Godfather image, and can't recall a time I've ever seen it look better.