Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

POLL: So what did you think of Jon Stewart at the Oscars?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How did Jon Stewart do at the Oscars?
Very good/Terrific
20.13%
Good/Solid
56.60%
Decent but unremarkable
16.98%
Fairly Bad
4.40%
Horrible
1.89%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

I thought he did a very good job, although I have been a fan of his wit for many years going back to his Short Attention Span Theater co-hosting gig on the old Comedy Channel and his excellent standup work prior to hosting The Daily Show.

I was susprised at the fairly modest response his opening monologue received from the live audience since both my wife and I were cackling quite madly during most of it.

Anyhow, rate your impression of his performance (based on whatever criteria you feel is appropriate) last night.
Old 03-06-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought he did best when he "improv'd" remarks--that's when the audience seemed to be with him. The beginning seemed a bit stiff to me. It's a bit jolting seeing him in a different venue from The Daily Show where every remark doesn't have a loud audience response. But I think as the night wore on, he became much more comfortable with everything. I could forsee them asking him back.

Still, no one seems to hold a candle to Billy Crystal.
Old 03-06-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the beginning was kinda shaky, but once he got into a groove, he was great. I loved the comedy bits like the fake campaign ads. And his ad-libs were classic, especially the one about montages. He even threw in a Beta reset.

While I'd prefer Billy Crystal or Steve Martin as next year's host, I have no problem with Jon Stewart being asked back. Of course that likely won't happen since 1) he made a lot of jokes at the crowd's expense which the Hollywood crowd usually doesn't appreciate and 2) the 10% drop in ratings which is due entirely to the mostly crappy lineup of films up for awards will be blamed at least partially on Jon Stewart's inability to draw viewers.

I'll say this much though. Stewart was 100 times better than Chris Rock.
Old 03-06-06, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the comments here. His opening monologue, which basically attacked the people in the audience didn't go over too well, plus most of it wasn't that funny. When he ad libbed during the telecast is when he was funny.

He was a little too laid back compared to past presenters. I want Jim Carrey as a host!

Chris
Old 03-06-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Of course that likely won't happen since 1) he made a lot of jokes at the crowd's expense which the Hollywood crowd usually doesn't appreciate and 2) the 10% drop in ratings which is due entirely to the mostly crappy lineup of films up for awards will be blamed at least partially on Jon Stewart's inability to draw viewers.
Jeez, these narcisists are just too much. Possibly the worst thing they could do is make the show LESS entertaining for those of us watching the semi-masturbatory proceedings. WE'RE the ones looking to be entertained, paying to see their productions (which for the most part are dreck) and supporting the entire "Hollywood" concept. The least they could do is be able to laugh at themselves. In my opinion, the fact that most couldn't/didn't was hilarious in and of itself.

The poor ratings happened for the same reason they happened at the 76th awards (Chicago won)... no one care about the movies. The box office returns for all the best picture noms were terrible. And Crash most likely suceeded as Best Picture because it was the only one of the five that had been out on DVD for forever.

One other gripe - they're imploring us to get out to the movie theaters, yet they fail to produce films that make you wanna drop $40 for two tickets and snacks (while I could spend $15 on the DVD and order a pizza and enjoy the movie in my own home without crying babies, rude patrons yaking on their cellphhones during the movie, etc.). Meanwhile, the academy members themselves get all the nominations sent to them on DVD to watch at home when there are actual screening rooms SETUP for them all to be seen on a real movie screen...
Old 03-06-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Stewart. Tom Shales did not.

"It's hard to believe that professional entertainers could have put together a show less entertaining than this year's Oscars, hosted with a smug humorlessness by comic Jon Stewart, a sad and pale shadow of great hosts gone by," said the Post's Shales.
Old 03-06-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Billy Crystal + no watch for me. The only reason I sat through this was to see Stewart. Same with Rock. I just don't think Billy Crystal is funny much less funny enough to keep me watching for 4 hours. Best of all Stewart didn't force a stupid musical number on us like a certain somebody likes to do.
Old 03-06-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I liked Stewart. Tom Shales did not.

"It's hard to believe that professional entertainers could have put together a show less entertaining than this year's Oscars, hosted with a smug humorlessness by comic Jon Stewart, a sad and pale shadow of great hosts gone by," said the Post's Shales.
This is the sort of stuff that illustrates an image that all critics are stuffy and hate everything.

His opening monologue felt too scripted, but his remarks the rest of the night were great.
Old 03-06-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I put average. He was decent, but didn't blow me away, I think it had a lot to do with first time jitters. He just didn't look comfortable up there. The campaign ads were great though.

Average, but I WOULD love to see him return. I feel that would give him the freedom to relax a bit and be more open.

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I thought he did best when he "improv'd" remarks--that's when the audience seemed to be with him.
I think it is safe to assume that 90% of the time, with any host, including Jon, there are scripted responses depending on which person wins. Look at the best song, there were only three nominees, how hard would it be to tailor a joke for each in case they won? Case in point, the 3 6 Mafia/Scorcese joke. I'm willing to put money down that it was scripted beforehand.
Old 03-06-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I rank Jon Stewart up with Billy Crystal and Steve Martin in the "almost as good as Johnny Carson" category.

Below that, I put Chris Rock and David Letterman in the "okay host, but disappointing for who they are" category

And waaaayyyy below that, I put Whoopi Goldberg in the "completely sucks as host" category (why they keep asking her back is beyond explanation)

Last edited by dhmac; 03-06-06 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-06-06, 04:00 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I think he did a great job. His dry wit and deadpan delivery did it for me. I doubt he'll be invited back though. As much as I enjoyed his jokes, there were a few too many jabs at Hollywood.
Old 03-06-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I thought Stewart did pretty well, but I remember thinking that he was probably playing much better for the people sitting at home. But then again, as others have said, his humor is more dry, so some of the oldies in the audience maybe didn't even know when he was joking.
Old 03-06-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Voted "Very Good."

They need to get some new faces in the heavy rotation schedule. Billy and Steve are getting up there.

I don't watch the Daily Show, but liked Stewart's performance/delivery.
Old 03-06-06, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
Billy Crystal + no watch for me. The only reason I sat through this was to see Stewart. Same with Rock. I just don't think Billy Crystal is funny much less funny enough to keep me watching for 4 hours. Best of all Stewart didn't force a stupid musical number on us like a certain somebody likes to do.
Who are you talking about? Please don't keep us in suspense!

Chris
Old 03-06-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Decent but unremarkable from me. I like Stewart, but too much of his stuff was generic last night. A Bjork joke? Gay cowboy montage? Too easy.
Old 03-06-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't watch the daily show but voted Good/Solid. And I agree that Jon played for the TV audience.
Old 03-06-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Went with Good/solid. The only reason I tuned in was to see Stewart, and I was not disappointed. I thought the opening monologue was hilarious, but he did seem a little uncomfortable at first. Still, he was better than most recent hosts, including Crystal, IMO.
Old 03-06-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I didnt watch, so I didnt vote, but the clips I heard today, he sounded very funny...and Im not a fan.

And for the 2nd year in a row, a humorless jizbag accepting an award 'responds' to the hosts joke with a smug, annoying comment.
Old 03-06-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He was funnier than I thought he would be.
Old 03-06-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree. He was very good. The opening was the toughest, mainly due to the audience of celebrities who take themselves way too seriously.
Old 03-06-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought he did a good job. A lot of the audience just needed to lighten up. When Stewart made the joke about Ray, the camera cuts to Foxx where he's cracking up and clapping, then the cut to Phoenix who was absolutely stone faced.
Old 03-06-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I thought he was funny, but it was obvious from the audience he was playing to that they didn't care for his approach. I voted that he did a decent job, but feel that he had to restrain himself once he realized he wasn't in the safe confines of his Daily Show. Basically, he was playing to people he who he typically makes fun of, and that probably cramped his planned style.
Old 03-06-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought he did about as good as job as could be expected given the audience.
Old 03-06-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
At first I wasn't sure about Stewart -- I don't watch The Daily Show often -- but I liked it. Maybe the crowd didn't appreciate the jabs at themselves... but I did, lol.
Old 03-06-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stewart was good, but the show was terrible. Stewart would have been great if he just totally threw out the script after nobody there was laughing at the open. It's clear he alienated the audience and had lost any chance of hosting again at that point, so he should have really gone for it.

The show had way too many montages and bad performances (think flaming car). I also didn't like the "see it in the theaters" BS at all. Maybe I'd see more movies in the theater if I couldn't pick the DVD up at Best Buy on the way home.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.