Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How long do you wait before asking for a refund on Ebay?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a movie poster on ebay and it was supposedly shipped by parcel post, which USPS says takes approximately (2-9 days)

I was notified by Paypal shipping that there is a tracking number but the only thing that it says when I check it is:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on February 16, 2006 to expect your package for mailing.

Anyways, the seller says she shipped on February 16th or 17th. Being today is March 5th, there's already been 13 working days (I count Saturdays since USPS works on Saturday)

So how long do you think I should wait before asking for a refund? Or have I waited long enough already?

The item is supposedly shipped from Arkansas to California.
Old 03-05-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've waited long enough. I would initiate a request for refund through PayPal now. I think you have only 30 days in which to request a refund through PayPal (I could be wrong,though). It takes a few days for PayPal to investigate and issue your refund so if you do happen to get the package in the meantime, you can simply cancel the refund request.

I am not sure of the significance of the tracking information. PayPal will require the seller to prove that you received the item in order for the seller to block the refund. For that reason, I require a signature for all items I sell on eBay in order to avoid getting burned by unscrupulous buyers.
Old 03-05-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on February 16, 2006 to expect your package for mailing.
that means absolutely nothing .. if you plug your tracking number into USPS's webpage, the first line will say Electronic Shipping Info Received* ..

the * means "This is not confirmation that the Postal Service has received your item from the shipper."

They can submit the info to USPS, but that doesn't mean they picked it up (or was dropped at a PO)..

It could be USPS being REALLY slow, but that's doubtful at this point, as it would have passed someplace where the information would have been updated.. I know when I order from DDD (media mail) it takes like 10 days (7-8 working), and when I order from overstock (who ships from Utah via media mail) it takes like 8-9 working days..

In my opinion though, it's either lost, or wasn't shipped, so as the person above said.. contact Paypal..
Old 03-05-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
I'd wait a little longer (no more than 25 days though) Parcle post is 3rd class mail and all mail 1st and 2nd gets bumped ahead of it so on high mail volume weeks it could take awile.
Old 03-06-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd e-mail the seller now and let them know that unless they can provide an up-to-date tracking number that you plan to file a claim for a refund. The seller has 10 days from the end date of the auction to get you your item (counting weekends) and this is past that date. As another poster stated, it will take a few weeks (or more) to get through the whole process so if it shows up during that time you can cancel the claim. Why wait any longer?
Old 03-12-06, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id wait 25 days as well. then id immediately email the seller for shipping specifics. dont expect the seller to be able to provide more than a tracking number and date of shipment.

if you feel the seller is on the up-and-up, then you can only wait (parcel post can take more than 3 weeks). if not, politely notify the seller that if you do not receive your item within 30 days from date of sale, you will initiate a paypal dispute.

other than that, i cannot think of anything else you can really do. ebay is really an honor-system thing.