Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are all Ring of Honor DVD's packaged this way?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought my first Ring of Honor DVD, being Joe vs. Kobashi.

The DVD case for this is odd. Instead of having something in the center to hold the DVD, there are just two latches on the top and bottom to hold the DVD into place. The DVD still moved around a lot and got scratched up really bad.

Because of that, the DVD freezes up two matches before the main event. I can't even access the matches through the menu without freezing up my player.

I would love to get a lot more DVD's from this wrestling fed, but if they all come like this and come damaged what's the point.
Old 03-03-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't bought any ROH dvds since the early days when they were only offered through RFVideo.com, and they came in normal amarays at that time.

I've been thinking of picking up some shows again, as the wrestling there is top-notch, but if they're going to be all scratched up, forget it!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but the first dozen shows I have all came with standard cases. They're not the same releases though, as they have a different cover than the ones featured on rohwrestling.com
Old 03-03-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have about 10 ROH releases and they all have those freaky cases. Even the 2 disc sets have those, with the discs just sitting in there stacked on top of each other. I don't really like them, but I haven't had too many problems with scratches or the discs coming loose (knock on wood). I might look into replacing the cases with more normal ones someday.
Old 03-03-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have about 30 ROH releases. Only the latter ones ('05 onwards?) have those cases. No problems with scratches (yet), even with the 2 disk sets.
Old 03-03-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I know for certain that my Death Before Dishonor from 2003 has the strange case, so its not just the newer ones.
Old 03-03-06, 02:46 PM

I haven't seen one not packaged this way, but I dont have any of the real older ones.
Old 03-03-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Pic? I would like to see how this case looks. Sounds pretty bad.
Old 03-03-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

not to derail the thread but what would be the best say 5 releases on dvd? i just recently started back up with wrestling, and have become a fan of the tna x division, but also like good bloodbath as well.
Old 03-04-06, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would post a pick, but I don't have access to a camera. The DVD has no center to hold the disc, and has two tabs to press down to get the DVDs out.

I'm not giving up on them yet though. Since other people say that the DVD's they got don't have scraches on them, looks like I might just have gotten a bad disc. Two matches before the main event it freezes up my player. I have to turn the power off just to be able to get the disc out at that point. Everything up until then plays perfect.

I guess these cases are cheap, that's why they do it. TNA also has problems with their cases.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
not to derail the thread but what would be the best say 5 releases on dvd? i just recently started back up with wrestling, and have become a fan of the tna x division, but also like good bloodbath as well.
A lot of the X-Division guys are in Ring of Honor (AJ, Samoa Joe, Homicide, Christopher Daniels, Jay Lethal, Generation NeXt). Do you like Joe? Everyone I've talked to said his match with Kobashi is amazing, and one of his best. I've heard the crowd chants "Match of the year!" when it is over. It was a great show up until my disc messed up. This is the only one I've seen.

I need to check out some of James Gibson's run. He is announced as being from Hanover WV, which is 30 minutes from my house.
Old 03-04-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rypro, I'm a big fan of CM Punk, so I would highly suggest you pick up his epic trilogy against Samoa Joe (World Title Classic, Joe Vs. Punk II, All Star Extravaganza 2)

Also check out his fued with Raven which involved a lot of great bloody brutal matches.

Actually go ahead and get the 7 show Punk saga which ran from Death Before Dishonor III (6/18/05) to Punk: The Final Chapter (8/13/05).
Old 03-05-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also keep in mind that ROH usually has sales (free postage, buy 2 get one free, etc...). Make sure you check the "weekly specials" on their website.