Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Thing?

Carpenter's The Thing--Anybody know which DVD version (year?) has the isolated muxic track? Where you can hear just the score, not the dialogue... I'm pretty sure the recent (2004) doesn't. Thanks!
Old 03-02-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
According to DVDPriceCompare.net, the old version does, but the new version does not have the isolated score
Old 03-02-06, 04:32 PM

that's right, the 1998 version with the original cover. Isolated music tracks are a thing of the past.
Old 03-02-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new video transfer alone is well worth getting over the Isolated music track. Or do as I did, own them both!
Old 03-02-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Speaking of the thing, is the sci-fi channel mini series still going to happen, or was it canned?
Old 03-03-06, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing it was canned.
Old 03-03-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, they canned it last year I believe. Too bad, I wouldnt mind seeing more THING at some point before I die. Preferably with Carpenter attached to it.
Old 03-03-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
yeah, they canned it last year I believe. Too bad, I wouldnt mind seeing more THING at some point before I die. Preferably with Carpenter attached to it.
Yeah, but it would have probably been all CGI now.
Old 03-03-06, 11:32 AM

I hope they just leave it alone.
Old 03-03-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new video transfer alone is well worth getting over the Isolated music track. Or do as I did, own them both!
I got the new version as a Christmas present, have yet to open it and check it out. I may do it soon, I guess it's a keeper and a worthy upgrade to the previous version of The Thing. The new version is in a keep case, but I have seen it in a different style case, is there a difference before I open? Like something inside, like an insert, etc?
Old 03-03-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
I got the new version as a Christmas present, have yet to open it and check it out. I may do it soon, I guess it's a keeper and a worthy upgrade to the previous version of The Thing. The new version is in a keep case, but I have seen it in a different style case, is there a difference before I open? Like something inside, like an insert, etc?
I don't think so. I think the only difference is that one's a keep case and one's a digipak.
Old 03-04-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big e
I don't think so. I think the only difference is that one's a keep case and one's a digipak.
Yeah but does the digipak have an insert? I took a look at a rental copy at Blockbuster once and there was a place for a booklet but nothing was there. I know that the odds of an insert being in the keep case is slim. I wouldn't mind the digipack, it's pretty nice, but only if there was an insert included. That's just me, I like inserts for movies I love.
Old 03-04-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Yeah but does the digipak have an insert? I took a look at a rental copy at Blockbuster once and there was a place for a booklet but nothing was there. I know that the odds of an insert being in the keep case is slim. I wouldn't mind the digipack, it's pretty nice, but only if there was an insert included. That's just me, I like inserts for movies I love.
There's no insert in the digipak, even though there is clearly a place for one. Universal dropped the insert at the last minute, after the digipaks had already been printed.
Old 03-04-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
There's no insert in the digipak, even though there is clearly a place for one. Universal dropped the insert at the last minute, after the digipaks had already been printed.
How silly of Universal to do that. If you have seen the digipak, it looks like somebody stole it. I will now open the keep case, and well, keep it.

Thanks to those who helped me with this, and thankyou Josh Z.
Old 03-04-06, 05:11 PM
Banned

Or, you could do what I did---before I sold off the old version, I kept the insert, and put it in the slot in the digipak for the (non-existant) insert that's supposed to be there. That way, there's SOMETHING in there. I just hated the way it looked without anything in the slot, LOL.
Old 03-04-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Or, you could do what I did---before I sold off the old version, I kept the insert, and put it in the slot in the digipak for the (non-existant) insert that's supposed to be there. That way, there's SOMETHING in there. I just hated the way it looked without anything in the slot, LOL.
Exactly what I did, too (except I gave my old copy away to a friend).
Old 03-05-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
If you really want something in the empty slot you can always print out a DVD review.
Old 03-05-06, 11:30 AM

I appreciate it, y'all
Old 03-06-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane
If you really want something in the empty slot you can always print out a DVD review.
Old 03-06-06, 09:50 AM

Someone could scan the insert and post on the "covers and inserts" forum. Maybe I'll do it when I get my damn scanner hooked up.
Old 03-06-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new version is the one to get, purely because of the transfer, and the fact that it's anamorphic. There have been some concerns about the color tweaking, but I'd still prefer better video to an isolated score, any day.
Old 03-06-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone could scan the insert and post on the "covers and inserts" forum.
I've been hoping for that very thing myself. Anyone up for it?
Old 03-06-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Aside from the anamorphically-enhanced transfer, everything about the newer DVD version is the same as the old version (menus, etc.) ...except for the isolated score.

Why was it dropped at all?
Old 03-07-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Why was it dropped at all?
The practice of isolated scores has died off because the movie soundtrack distributors complained that it eats into their CD sales.
Old 03-07-06, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The practice of isolated scores has died off because the movie soundtrack distributors complained that it eats into their CD sales.
Too bad. I can't imagine sales of The Thing CD are even anything to eat into Why not just give them royalties or something? Well, anyway, it's a dead feature now.

I actually liked the feature on The Thin Red Line, where you can play the whole "CD" beginning to end (strangely, you can't select tracks). I like the music so I don't have to buy the CD! I suppose that's gone, too, on later editions. Strange experiment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.