My Name Is Earl?

Any word on a release?
Old 02-27-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The first season isn't even over yet!
Old 02-27-06, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant wait for this, The Office and The Boondocks dvds.
Old 02-27-06, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I can't wait for that new show Convinction to come out on DVD! Any word on a release? I know the first episode hasn't aired, but there must be a date!
Old 02-27-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this show is going to be a pain in the ass regrards to music clearences, since there are many uses of classic rock songs in episodes.
Old 02-27-06, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
this show is going to be a pain in the ass regrards to music clearences, since there are many uses of classic rock songs in episodes.
due to tv on dvd popularity, dont most songs get the dvd rights when they get the regular rights to just use it on tv?
Old 02-27-06, 10:25 PM

i don't know if any of you are familiar with the adult swim cartoon, mission hill, but those dvds took FOREVER to come out, because of soundtrack. i am a die-hard fan, and can quote episodes, and it's not the same without the music.

alot of the jokes revolve around the music.
Old 02-27-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wennma01
due to tv on dvd popularity, dont most songs get the dvd rights when they get the regular rights to just use it on tv?

Depends on the show, and which company/studio is producing it. If it's Warner Brothers, Universal or Sony, these studios already have music divisons (labels) - so it's not as hard to license the songs or make deals to. The other studios - like Fox, per se, don't - so it costs them more to liscense the music.

Also, it depends on what deals were made going into it. Yes, these days now that TV on DVD has become so popular - most show producers license the music not only for brodcast, but also for the DVD releases. In the past, the idea of TV shows ever being released on DVD didn't even cross anyone's mind - so they only optioned the music for broadcast purposes - and hence why it cost so much to license the music (again) for a completely different purpose.
Old 02-28-06, 01:04 AM

I saw Matthew Perry has signed on to do a pilot for Aaron Sorkin. Does anyone have a firm date for the season 1 set?
Old 02-28-06, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm with Rocketdog. The producers of any show in production now must have the brains to lock up all uses of the musoc clearances since TV on DVD is such a cash cow. It is those old shows where the clearances weren't thought about that are a problem.
Old 02-28-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I'm with Rocketdog. The producers of any show in production now must have the brains to lock up all uses of the musoc clearances since TV on DVD is such a cash cow. It is those old shows where the clearances weren't thought about that are a problem.
Correct (hopefully!).
Old 02-28-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Smithers
cant wait for this, The Office and The Boondocks dvds.

Krystol..that sounds like a stripper name...might you be a stripper...?

Is it surprising that someone asks about this DVD before the season is over? Didn't they announce Desperate Housewives and LOST either right as the season ended or a bit before? They turn these over fast now...

I wonder if they will market them together. (Office and Earl) I'd like to have them both.
Old 03-03-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
From Wikipedia's My Name Is Earl entry:
Creator/show runner Garcia commented on DVD release contents and plans at a February 2006 event held by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences[2]. It will be released before the second season premieres. Garcia expects to include deleted scenes, cast and crew commentary track, selections from the season's two-hour gag reel, and a "kind of mini-episode" just for the DVD.
Old 03-03-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
selections from the season's two-hour gag reel
It would be nice if they "selected" the full two hours. I love that kind of stuff.
Old 03-03-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's hope Jason Lee talks more than he did on the "Mallrats" commentary track
Old 03-03-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
It would be nice if they "selected" the full two hours. I love that kind of stuff.
Yeah there is something to that laughter is infectuous saying. I see them screw a line and crack up and it just makes me laugh.

I'd like to see the majority of the two hours as well, but they could be including multiple takes in the time. I like gag reels but draw the line at an actor flubbing a line for 15 straight takes. It's funny 2 maybe 3 times in a row, then it wears thin, unless there is cursing of course.