Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Free short stack of pancakes - IHOP 2/28

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 02-26-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

FREE PANCAKES! NO STRINGS ATTACHED!

On February 28, 2006 from 7 AM to 2 PM IHOPs across the country will celebrate National Pancake Day (also known as Shrove Tuesday) by offering our guests a free short stack of pancakes*. This is going to be our biggest one day celebration in our history.

National Pancake Day has a rich history that stretches back centuries and has always been a time of celebration. National Pancake Day always falls on Fat Tuesday and this year it will be a celebration at IHOP.

So gather your friends, family and neighbors and come to your local IHOP and enjoy a short stack of pancakes on us. All we ask is that you consider making a donation to a great charity like First Book or other local, worthy cause. Where else would you celebrate National Pancake Day than IHOP? See you there.

* Limit one free short stack per guest. Valid for dine-in only, no to go orders. Not valid with any other offer, special, coupon, or discount. Valid at participating restaurants only, while supplies last.
http://www.ihop.com/indexnatl.html
Old 02-26-06, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, there's one on my way to work. I may have to get up a little bit earlier to check this out....
Old 02-26-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice!
Old 02-27-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just in case someone thinks this isn't true (or hasn't seen the commercials)

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/pancakes.asp
Old 02-27-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in, thanks!
Old 02-27-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I fear very large lines. Sadly it's looks like I'll busy during that time period.
Old 02-27-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks SunMonkey.
Old 02-27-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Shrove Tuesday
28 February 2006

Shrove Tuesday is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday which is the first day of Lent. It's a day of penitence, to clean the soul, and a day of celebration as the last chance to feast before Lent begins.

Shrove Tuesday is probably the Christian festival that the family enjoys most, after Christmas, of course.

But there's more to Shrove Tuesday than pigging out on pancakes or taking part in a public pancake race. The pancakes themselves are part of an ancient custom with deeply religious roots.

Penitence
Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the ritual of shriving that Christians used to undergo in the past. In shriving, a person confesses their sins and receives absolution for them.

When a person receives absolution for their sins, they are forgiven for them and released from the guilt and pain that they have caused them.

In the Catholic or Orthodox context, the absolution is pronounced by a priest.

This tradition is very old. Over 1000 years ago a monk wrote in the Anglo-Saxon Ecclesiastical Institutes:

In the week immediately before Lent everyone shall go to his confessor and confess his deeds and the confessor shall so shrive him.

Shrove Tuesday celebrations
Shrove Tuesday is a day of celebration as well as penitence, because it's the last day before Lent.

Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent.

Giving up foods: but not wasting them
In the old days there were many foods that observant Christians would not eat during Lent: foods such as meat and fish, fats, eggs, and milky foods.

So that no food was wasted, families would have a feast on the shriving Tuesday, and eat up all the foods that wouldn't last the forty days of Lent without going off.

The need to eat up the fats gave rise to the French name Mardi Gras; meaning fat tuesday. Pancakes became associated with Shrove Tuesday as they were a dish that could use up all the eggs, fats and milk in the house with just the addition of flour.

The origin of pancake racing
Pancake races are thought to have begun in 1445. A woman had lost track of the time on Shrove Tuesday, and was busy cooking pancakes in her kitchen.

Suddenly she heard the church bell ringing to call the faithful to church for confession. The woman raced out of her house and ran all the way to church; still holding her frying pan and wearing her apron.

Going for gold in the pancake olympics
One of the most famous pancake races is held at Olney in Buckinghamshire over a 415 yard course. The rules are strict; contestants have to toss their pancake at both the start and the finish, as well as wearing an apron and a scarf. The race is followed by a church service.

Since 1950 Olney has competed with Liberal in Kansas, which holds an identical race, to see which town can produce the fastest competitor. After the 2000 race, Liberal was leading with 26 wins to Olney's 24

I called my IHOP and they are offering this from 6AM to 10PM.
Old 02-27-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I fear very large lines. Sadly it's looks like I'll busy during that time period.
yeah, same here.
Old 02-28-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JP5683
Just in case someone thinks this isn't true (or hasn't seen the commercials)

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/pancakes.asp
Or didn't believe the link to IHOP.com in the original post???

I'm the first one to go to snopes for certain things, but cmon.
Old 02-28-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I fear very large lines.
My wife and I arrived at 7 am to a pretty much empty restaurant. We ate our free pancakes and made it to work by 7:30 am. The place was still mostly empty when we left.

I guess people weren't thrilled by free flapjacks.
Old 02-28-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They expect you to make a donation. Just double your .50 cent tip! I think they do it every year.
Old 02-28-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was busier today than any day in the last two weeks. No pooners for me.
Old 02-28-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Same here. I have to act as supervisor like three times a year and it has to fall on free short stack day. Damn.
Old 02-28-06, 11:48 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ernestrp
They expect you to make a donation. Just double your .50 cent tip! I think they do it every year.
.50 cent is only half a penny
Old 03-01-06, 12:06 AM

found out about this too late. :[