Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about 'Cannibal Holocaust' and 'Re-Animator'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST AND RE-ANIMATOR.

i love b-movies, and zombi2 was probably one of the best i've ever seen. i've picked up both a few times in stores, but just set them back down.

i need some encouragement.
Old 02-26-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know if Cannibal Holocaust is really a b-movie. B-movies to me, attempt to do what blockbusters / A-movies do but on a smaller scale and/or with much less of a budget. If it's a b-movie because of it's budget, then Blair Witch Project and El Mariachi are b-movies and I don't know if I'd agree with that.

That said, it's a nice gruesome pic although I've seen more gruesome: over the past three decades it's reputation has grown larger than the movie so don't let that be your guide.
Old 02-27-06, 12:46 AM

worthy of a blind buy?
Old 02-27-06, 12:49 AM

I'd say so, ive been meaning to pick it up myself but i'm looking for the 2 discer.
Old 02-27-06, 01:33 PM

I haven't seen Re-Animator since the 80s, but back then, wow, that thing was balls-out mad! It probably hasn't aged well, but it's a cult classic. I don't know if it's worth a blind buy; I would rent it.
Old 02-27-06, 01:46 PM
Banned

I blind-bought "Cannibal Holocaust" and found it to be severly overhyped. I think it suffers from the "Exorcist" curse, where it was shocking for its time, but doesn't date very well. It had its moments, but all in all, I was disappointed. So much so I sold my LE 2 disc. Rewatch value is nill, IMO.

"Re-Animator" is a personal favorite. All of Stu Gordon's stuff, namely H.P. Lovecraft adaptations are gold. 1985 was a HUGE year for the horror genre, with "Re-Animator", "Day of the Dead", and "Return of the Living Dead" being released. "Demons" dropped that year too, but 80's kids probably thought Argento was a kind of cheese, not a filmmaker.
Old 02-28-06, 12:05 AM

you've all been very helpful. i just bought black christmas for 9.99, and re-animator 2-disc for 12.99, both new.

i'm still not sure about cannibal holocaust.
Old 03-01-06, 02:14 PM

i bought cannibal holocaust, but i havent seen it.it was also a blind buy but up to now,i still dont have any regrets because of its being controversial in nature.
Old 03-01-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Cannibal Holocaust... Read this thread to see if it's something that you might be interested in > http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=383343

Personally, I rather enjoy it, for what it is...
Old 03-04-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I just picked up Cannibal holocaust online (blind buy) and although it is overhyped (it was probably way more brutal in it's time), it's still an excellent movie with lots of replay value. I think mainly what makes it shocking now is the animal deaths. The rape scenes are also kind of tough to watch. As far as I'm concerned it had everything I look for in a horror movie (shitty acting, gore, a dudes junk getting cut off) and the bonus features are also very entertaining. It's definitely worth the cash.
Old 03-05-06, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I blind bought cannibal holocaust and it surpassed my expectations and i thought it was a good movie but i didnt find it that disturbing. The only thing that i though was disturbing was the turtle scene. I agree it probably was very shocking for its time but hasnt aged well. I am glad i bought it though, i feel its an essential movie for horror fans. Now Re-Animator is a great 80s movie thats very enjoyable. There both worth buying.
Old 03-10-06, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
"Re-Animator" is a personal favorite. All of Stu Gordon's stuff, namely H.P. Lovecraft adaptations are gold. 1985 was a HUGE year for the horror genre, with "Re-Animator", "Day of the Dead", and "Return of the Living Dead" being released. "Demons" dropped that year too, but 80's kids probably thought Argento was a kind of cheese, not a filmmaker.
Yeah, 1985! Don't forget Godzilla 1985! Anyway, that "going down" scene in Reanimator has always stuck with me...

Now, where the hell is the Special Edition of FROM BEYOND? God, I was a Lovecraft freak back then...