Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Prix

I'm looking forward to Warner's release of GRAND PRIX this year. Saw it when it first came out in Cinerama. Should be quite a sight and sound experience on dvd. Does any know if 65mm sources are being used? Any word on a release date?
Old 02-25-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know no details about this yet except it's supposed to be a two-disc set, but am eagerly awaiting this as well. I'm sure warner will deliver the goods as usual.
Old 02-25-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been waiting on this one for years now! Can't wait!
Old 02-25-06, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I've been eargerly waiting for this one for a very long time. Does anyone know if Frankenheimer did commentary for this before he passed away? His commentaries are great, especially on Ronin.
Old 02-28-06, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

It's about damned time they released this to DVD! With the plethora of crap they've released to DVD, it's amazing that quality films like this are just now getting the DVD treatment.

Now all I want released to DVD is Turner's 'Moon Shot' to replace my worn VHS copy, doubt they'll release it but one can always hope.
Old 02-28-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my VHS tapes I am still hanging on to. Looking forward to this!
Old 03-08-06, 11:53 PM
rsa

Any further new on this?
Old 03-09-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't heard any, but I'm looking forward to this one a LOT... this is a CLASSIC race movie, love all the onboard footage and sound. I hope they go into detail about the camera mounting on the GT40's and all their experiences. WB has a great track record for their catalog movies, can't wait!
Old 03-13-06, 11:05 PM
rsa

Yea, hopefully they'll include a good making of doco, maybe even with period interviews with the real race car drivers (Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon etc). There is a 'making of' dvd available now but I'm holding out, hoping that it'll be included with this. MMMmmmmm 5.1, turn it UP!
Old 04-12-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDActive has the scoop:

Title: Grand Prix
Starring: James Garner
Released: 11th July 2006
SRP: $20.97

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced a special edition of the John Frankenheimer directed Grand Prix which stars James Garner, Antonio Sabato Jr and Brian Bedford. The two-disc DVD will be available to own from the 11th July, and should be priced at around $20.97. The film itself will be presented in 2.20:1 widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include documentaries, a featurette, and the theatrical trailer.

cover art:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/grand-prix.html
Old 04-12-06, 09:22 PM

holy shit, what a good night! First I win something on ebay i didn't expect to, and now a release date for grand prix!
Old 04-13-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Warner Home Video has announced a special edition of the John Frankenheimer directed Grand Prix which stars James Garner, Antonio Sabato Jr and Brian Bedford.
Man i didn't know he went back that far (or maybe it was his father)
Old 04-13-06, 10:52 PM

I thought that Frankenheimer would have recorded a commentary for this title. He kept making references to it throughout Ronin. His commentaries were always a treat. Perhaps the studio is having trouble obtaining the rights and clearances.
Old 05-04-06, 03:03 PM

From an e-mail I just got:

"Special Features will include four never before seen documentaries and the archival film 'Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions', taking viewers behind the scenes of '60s Formula One racing. The restored 65mm film will be released in widescreen format with a re-mastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack."
Old 05-05-06, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got an email about this. Excellent!
Old 05-05-06, 09:23 AM

www.dvdtimes.co.uk on the content and extras:

Disc One
New Digital Transfer from Restored 65mm Elements with a Soundtrack Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two
Four new never-before-seen documentaries:
Pushing the Limit: The Making of Grand Prix - 40th Anniversary Making-of documentary
Flat Out: Formula One in the Sixties- A history of Formula One racing in the sixties
The Style and Sound of Speed – A look at the style of Saul Bass and the film’s sound design
Brands Hatch: Behind the Checkered Flag - Behind the scenes tour of the famous raceway used in the movie
Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions – 1960’s Featurette behind-the-scenes at the Grand Prix
Speed Channel Promo
Old 05-05-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent!!! Man, this is a great year for classic DVD releases.
Old 07-13-06, 07:10 AM

Word of warning to anyone that may have bought this but hasn't opened it yet (you know, that stack of unwatched stuff ).

It's, of course, a two disc set (the movie is split onto both discs). I picked it up on release day at Best Buy and mine had two copies of disc #1 inside, no disc #2. Exchanged it the next day, opened the new one in-store and it had the same problem.

They refunded me and I got a copy at Borders with no problems.
Old 07-13-06, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Given how this DVD was mastered: "New Digital Transfer from Restored 65mm Elements" Warners should have also released this on HD-DVD.
Old 07-14-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Given how this DVD was mastered: "New Digital Transfer from Restored 65mm Elements" Warners should have also released this on HD-DVD.
I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually does. But this version looks mighty fine as it is on progressive displays.
Old 07-15-06, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by EddieN
Word of warning to anyone that may have bought this but hasn't opened it yet (you know, that stack of unwatched stuff ).

It's, of course, a two disc set (the movie is split onto both discs). I picked it up on release day at Best Buy and mine had two copies of disc #1 inside, no disc #2. Exchanged it the next day, opened the new one in-store and it had the same problem.

They refunded me and I got a copy at Borders with no problems.
I bought mine at Best Buy and it has the correct disks.
Old 07-20-06, 09:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rasalas
I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually does. But this version looks mighty fine as it is on progressive displays.
oh and I agree, I watched this last night on my widescreen HiDef Samsung TV (via component video) and WOW! - the film to video transfer is stunning to say the least - the colours are solid, the resolution exceedingly sharp - so much so, you can see the imperfections of the camera lens on some of the racing shots.

I haven't watched 'Ryans Daughter' but from what I've heard and read, Warner Home Video has scored another stellar DVD transfer from a 65mm source.
Old 07-20-06, 11:14 AM

I watched this yesterday and I have to agree, the transfer is stunning. Looks really beautiful.