Mommie Dearest: Hollywood Royalty Edition ----> 6/6/06

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-06, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mommie Dearest: Hollywood Royalty Edition ----> 6/6/06

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Mommie Dearest SE in June

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Mommie Dearest: Hollywood Royalty Edition for 6th June 2006. Outrageous and controversial, this is the story of legendary movie star Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway) as she struggles for her career and battles the inner demons of her private life. This torment was manifested in her relationships with her adopted children, Christina (Diana Scarwid) and Christopher (Xander Berkeley). The public Crawford was a strong-willed, glamorous object of admiration, but Mommie Dearest reveals the private Crawford, the woman desperate to be a mother, adopting her children when she was single and trying to survive in a devastating industry that swallows careers thoughtlessly. The rage, the debilitating strain, and the terrifying descent into alcoholism and child abuse are graphically - and unforgettably – depicted in this film, based upon Christina Crawford's best-selling book.

Features are TBC.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60552
Old 02-24-06, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather have the "Box Office Poison Edition".

Unless this has a Dunaway commentary, I'll pass. It's on basic cable all the time and that's good enough for me.
Old 02-24-06, 02:23 PM

WTF! How could they not call this the "No... wire... hangers" Edition!

No sale!

Last edited by Paul Arnette; 02-24-06 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-24-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I heard the Best Buy exclusive will be a 6 oz. jar of commemorative Anal Eaze.
Old 02-24-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
The release date is certainly appropriate!
Old 02-24-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Damfino
The release date is certainly appropriate!
Word.
Old 02-24-06, 03:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

she looks evil, poor kids
Old 02-24-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll gladly double-dip on this one. Love that cover!!

Wow, first the Whatever Happened to Baby Jane SE, and now this... looks like 2006 is turning out to be a great year to be a gay DVD collector!

Rob
Old 02-24-06, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA

Wow, first the Whatever Happened to Baby Jane SE, and now this... looks like 2006 is turning out to be a great year to be a gay DVD collector!

Rob
I'm not even gay and I love both these movies. People have looked at me like I was crazy because I laughed so much during these. These should be placed next to Airplane and National Lampoons Vacation in the Comedy/Satire genre.

I know both of these were meant to be taken seriously, but that was just impossible after viewing them.
Old 02-25-06, 07:24 PM
xia

as camp as it might be, I do love this movie.
Old 02-25-06, 08:51 PM
Cool New Member

why exactly are these "gay" films?...when i first saw it, i thought it was a satire/comedy...i laughed my ass off at it. That lady is just wacko.
Old 02-26-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...first the Whatever Happened to Baby Jane SE...
Oh my God!! How the hell did I miss THIS release?!

Oh and yeah, definitely a double dip for Mommie Dearest....

Last edited by SMB-IL; 02-26-06 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-26-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by psifreek27
why exactly are these "gay" films?...when i first saw it, i thought it was a satire/comedy...i laughed my ass off at it. That lady is just wacko.
They are not really considered "gay" - just very "camp" - which means they are mostly appreciated by Gay men (older Gay men, that is) who "see" the camp in the films and the "attitide" the stars give out in their performances - such as in the case of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

Another film that I consider "camp" that Gay people would appreciate is Addams Family Values. Any Gay person could see it the screenplay was written by a Gay person - very campy! (I just saw it on TV last night, and thought I'd mention it in this thread).
Old 02-26-06, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65

Another film that I consider "camp" that Gay people would appreciate is Addams Family Values. Any Gay person could see it the screenplay was written by a Gay person - very campy! (I just saw it on TV last night, and thought I'd mention it in this thread).

Not to hijack the thread, but this is another movie that's just screaming for a special edition. Both Addams' Family movies actually.
Old 02-26-06, 04:51 PM
Banned

Rob
Really? Not for me. Thus far there are fewer releases that are interesting me this year than ever before...and I've never even seen the 2 aforementioned titles. Must be because i'm not "older."
Old 02-26-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by psifreek27

If you have access to LOGO (the gay channel now being carried on many cable systems) check out their one-hour show about "gay" movies - movies that don't necessarily have gay themes or characters, but that seem to have a cult status in the gay community.
Old 03-12-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to TLA, this should have some nice extras:

• Photo gallery
• Original theatrical trailer
• Audio commentary (With filmmaker John Waters (Pink Flamingos))
• Documentaries (The Revival of Joan -- How the biography was brought to screen)
• Documentaries (Life with Joan -- The making of the cult film with exclusive behind-the-scenes stories.)
• Documentaries (Joan Lives On - the story of the film's cult following with John Waters and Joan Crawford impersonator Lipsynka)
Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 03-12-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Rob
Wait. There's a Whatever Happened to Baby Jane SE? I'm not gay but I would definitely buy that and this re-release as well.
Old 03-12-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cinephan
Not to hijack the thread, but this is another movie that's just screaming for a special edition. Both Addams' Family movies actually.
Agreed.
Old 03-12-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 2-disc Baby Jane SE is due out May 30th; it has some nice extras too:

• New 16x9 digital transfer from the original camera negative and restored audio elements (Enhanced for widescreen televisions)
• Commentary by author and film historian Charles Busch and film historian John Epperson (a/k/a "Lypsinka")
• Bette and Joan: Blind Ambition (A new making-of documentary)
• All About Bette, Biographical profile, hosted by Jodie Foster
• Film Profile: Joan Crawford
• Vintage featurette "Behind the Scenes with Baby Jane"
• The Andy Williams Show
• Theatrical Trailer
(from DVDTimes)

Last edited by RobCA; 03-12-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info, RobCA. I'm definitely looking forward to that SE.
Old 03-12-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I know it was already done on 2nd post... but I want the "Wiireee Hannngers!!!!!" edition
Old 03-12-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Bummer...no deleted scenes for the SE of Mommie Dearest. Guess I won't double-dip this one...
Old 04-05-06, 06:58 PM
Banned

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Mommie Dearest SE in June - Extras revealed

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Mommie Dearest: Hollywood Royalty Edition for 6th June 2006. Outrageous and controversial, this is the story of legendary movie star Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway) as she struggles for her career and battles the inner demons of her private life. This torment was manifested in her relationships with her adopted children, Christina (Diana Scarwid) and Christopher (Xander Berkeley). The public Crawford was a strong-willed, glamorous object of admiration, but Mommie Dearest reveals the private Crawford, the woman desperate to be a mother, adopting her children when she was single and trying to survive in a devastating industry that swallows careers thoughtlessly. The rage, the debilitating strain, and the terrifying descent into alcoholism and child abuse are graphically - and unforgettably – depicted in this film, based upon Christina Crawford's best-selling book.

Features include:
Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
English & French Mono
English subtitles
Commentary by Filmmaker John Waters
Three featurettes: The Revival of Joan, Life with Joan and Joan Lives On
Photo Galley
Original Theatrical Trailer
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60552
Old 06-07-06, 09:35 AM
Suspended

Well, the DVD came out and it's time to update this thread. The only thing going for this DVD over the preceding edition (besides its low price) is the three piddly featurettes containing interviews with writer-producer Yablans, which actually show what Joan Crawford really looked like (all the clips are from "Johnny Guitar", in which she exhibits her most manly persona).

These featurettes, which also feature female impersonator Lypsinka, pale in comparison with the 90 minute documentary from Turner on Joan's career which is available on the "Mildred Pierce" DVD and which is a monumental enterprise actually containing comments from Christina Crawford and at least 20 different personalities who knew Joan.

The John Waters' commentary, while positive and amusing, is actually amateurish and ill-informed and reveals more about the commentator than the subject of the film. Waters admits to not having seen many Crawford films before seeing "Mommie Dearest" so his comments to the effect that "the resemblance is uncanny" and "Faye Dunaway was really channeling Crawford" are at best suspect.

Crawford was a petite woman with blue eyes, a long face, a wide jaw, a slight overbite and short, stubby arms. Faye Dunaway's tallish eurasian-fashion-model looks are not a perfect fit, resemblance-wise, and her interpretation should be given respect for what it is - an interpretation. I have always found it more fun to imagine what the "real" Crawford would have done with the scenes in the film than actually enjoying Dunaway's performance - even though it is, as they say, "something to behold".

A more knowledgeable commentator would have pointed out that the characters of her lawyer lover and her personal assistant were actually composites of many different husbands, lovers and employees, that the first film she is excited about is "The Women", that Christina Crawford herself appears in an uncredited cameo as an adoption agency official, etc. and would have touched on Christina's rationale for writing the book, instead of volunteering quasi-offensive bitchy comments like: "You wouldn't have had it this sweet at the orphanage with those sadistic nuns, Missie!", considering the film deals with life with an alcoholic parent.

Other signs of ignorance stick in my craw, like Waters' suggestion that Crawford' s wearing gloves to bed was an early sign of her cleanliness mania when those gloves were actually used for an overnight hand lotion treatment, as any self-respecting movie fan (or drag queen) can attest. (The same gloves appear in "Sunset Boulevard" and "Death Becomes Her", for instance.)

Maybe the DVD authors should have foregone the campy approach long enough to give the commentary to someone trustworthy, reliable and informed like Glenn Erickson - our own DVD Savant - who did such a good job on the "Mildred Pierce" documentary and the "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" commentary.

Last edited by baracine; 06-10-06 at 08:28 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.