Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playing the 360 online

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts
Playing the 360 online

I just tried to play a game of Madden with a buddy of mine online. We both went to the same lobby and offered each other a match - but everytime we tried to progress past the "choose your team" area, we'd get a message saying "your opponent has left the game". The funny thing was, we'd both get the message, but neither of us had left. Also, neither of us had trouble playing against anyone else - games started right up.

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't play a friend or as to why we'd get the same message?
Old 02-23-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't give you an answer, but that happens to me pretty often. My friends and I use the exact same connections, with nothing else hooked to the Internet, and sometimes it flies and sometimes we can't even hook up.
Old 02-23-06, 11:52 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is likely that one or both of you have a router that is not fully compatible with Xbox Live because your router uses moderate or strict NAT (network address translation) rather than open NAT. Strict NAT users will have problems playing other strict NAT users and moderate NAT users. To have the best Xbox Live experience, you should use an open NAT style router. This is all explained in detail here: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/connect/diagnosing.htm
Old 02-24-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info guys. I'll dig into that 'strict NAT' thing.
Old 02-26-06, 09:37 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Just another problem to add to the long list.
Old 02-26-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
Where is this list?

And how easy is it to play Madden online on the PS2?
Old 02-26-06, 10:46 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
This is NOT a problem with the Xbox 360. It is a problem with the router. If you have a router that only does strict or moderate NAT, you will have problems with other applications as well (such as P2P). You can overcome the problems by manually configuring your router to forward the ports the application needs. In the case of Xbox live, you need to forward TCP port 88, TCP port 3074, and UDP port 3074 to the IP of your Xbox. If you have a router that is open NAT, the Xbox will automagically forward these ports using UPnP. It is not the Xbox's fault that moderate/strict routers do not fully support UPnP.

So, please refrain from commenting on what you so obviously don't understand.
Old 02-26-06, 11:22 PM

easier to just put the xbox in the DMZ I'd imagine
Old 02-27-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've really been having issues with playing PD0 online lately. I recall when I first got the game I would have problems joining games.

My router is on the compatible list. I also went ahead and opened the ports mentioned about AND I did the DMZ thing mentioned above which I was clueless about before this thread. I'm still having little luck connecting to all the games I attempt to join. I know that PDZ is supposed to have an update soon so I hope something in that update helps my chances of connecting.
Old 02-27-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

JM,

not to sound like a dumbass - but can you explain how I can forward the ports you described above?

Thanks a ton!

- Rob
Old 02-27-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The way to open ports on my router can be found HERE. Hopefully it is similar with your router. If it isn't post what type of router you are using.
Old 02-27-06, 06:39 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
JM,

not to sound like a dumbass - but can you explain how I can forward the ports you described above?

Thanks a ton!

- Rob
As someone mentioned above, you can just put the IP of the Xbox in the DMZ. I don't generally recommend this though because it is usually bad/lazy security practice. It is better to just forward (aka open) the specific ports you need. There are excellent instructions for a wide variety of routers at www.portforward.com .

BTW, I have found that the DMZ is often misunderstood. What it does is forward to the DMZ IP every port not already specifically forwarded somewhere else. For example, if I have forwarded TCP/UDP port 80 to Host A and put Host B in the DMZ, traffic destined for port 80 will get sent to A while everything else will get sent to B. This, of course, leaves B wide open to the world, so you better be sure that it has no exploitable applications running on whatever ports it has open. (That is, unless you want someone to exploit the PC in the DMZ--i.e. you have set up a trap for them or a red herring that has nothing valuable on it but serves only to catch would be intruders...)

Last edited by JM; 02-27-06 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I've really been having issues with playing PD0 online lately. I recall when I first got the game I would have problems joining games.

My router is on the compatible list. I also went ahead and opened the ports mentioned about AND I did the DMZ thing mentioned above which I was clueless about before this thread. I'm still having little luck connecting to all the games I attempt to join. I know that PDZ is supposed to have an update soon so I hope something in that update helps my chances of connecting.

hey master there are a couple things make sure you've got the most current firmware for your router. its a 604 right? you can check here http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...sec=3#firmware
also make sure your DHCP lease is set to one day instead of one week (the old firmware had one week setting) also you might want to try setting a DHCP reservation for your 360, this isn't the same as a static IP even though dlink says it is. then go ahead and foward the correct ports UDP 88 internal/external TCP/UDP 3074 internal/external. and take it out of the dmz.

then do yourself a favor and go to testmy.net or speakeasy.net/speedtest and check what your down and up speeds are. if your up is lower than around 300 thats your problem. if you go to testmy.net it will give you a great thing like this;

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 5109 Kbps about 5.1 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)
Download Speed is:: 624 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net (server1)
Test Time:: Wed Mar 01 2006 02:07:13 GMT-0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Bottom Line:: 91X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.64 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 102.9 % faster than the average for host (sprint-hsd.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-C51OUMBKQ

if it gives you something really weird like 600 down or 65 up or something then you've got a lan network problem. i'll give you any help i can, beside when playing full auto it sucks that you kept lagging out
Old 03-01-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My work stats (just as another example)

Connection is:: 1331 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Download Speed is:: 162 kB/s
Test Time:: Wed Mar 01 2006 07:53:38 GMT-0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Bottom Line:: 24X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.32 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 131.48 % faster than the average for host (ssi-pci.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-Z96AD3JPT

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 448 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 55 kB/s
Test Time:: Wed Mar 01 2006 07:55:20 GMT-0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Bottom Line:: 8X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 18.62 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 65.93 % faster than the average for host (ssi-pci.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-ZKHO691TB
Old 03-01-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Crizzar
easier to just put the xbox in the DMZ I'd imagine
ditto
Old 03-02-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guys,

Im simply missing the exact port I need to use to forward for my 360. Maybe I missed it, but I can't find the ports that need forwarding at any of the sites you sent. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Rob
Old 03-02-06, 11:03 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
Guys,

Im simply missing the exact port I need to use to forward for my 360. Maybe I missed it, but I can't find the ports that need forwarding at any of the sites you sent. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Rob
It was posted above. You need to forward these ports:
1) UDP 88 internal/external
2) TCP/UDP 3074 internal/external
Old 03-03-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
My work stats (just as another example)

Connection is:: 1331 Kbps about 1.3 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Download Speed is:: 162 kB/s
Test Time:: Wed Mar 01 2006 07:53:38 GMT-0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Bottom Line:: 24X faster than 56K 1MB download in 6.32 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 131.48 % faster than the average for host (ssi-pci.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-Z96AD3JPT

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 448 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 55 kB/s
Test Time:: Wed Mar 01 2006 07:55:20 GMT-0500 (US Eastern Standard Time)
Bottom Line:: 8X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 18.62 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 65.93 % faster than the average for host (ssi-pci.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-ZKHO691TB

hahahahahahahaheheheeahahahahahahaha wow dude that is super hardcore less than business DSL. awesome.
Old 03-03-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
hahahahahahahaheheheeahahahahahahaha wow dude that is super hardcore less than business DSL. awesome.
Not really anything to laugh about jackass it's not like I'm paying for the service or anything.
Old 03-03-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Not really anything to laugh about jackass it's not like I'm paying for the service or anything.
yeah there is, as big as that place is and you fools only get crappy internet. i blame this on the fact that parlor city is your provider who in their right mind uses an internet provider instead of a telco in a large company.