Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with Convergence on right side of screen.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 47" Panny 47X54 Rear Projection HDTV and have had a problem on the right side of the screen for as long as I can remember. The TV is about 2 years old. The right side has always been a little fuzzy on text and the red doesn't converge properly. The cross is always crooked when adjusting and I've just dealt with it as best I could. I just added a Voom receiver to the component 2 hookup and now it's really horrible. I've taken some pictures so you all can see what I'm talking about. The right side of the screen also has color washed out when I split the screen using Picture in picture. Does anyone know a fix to this? I'm guessing it'll need to be serviced to repair...how serious does it look?

Here are the pics:
This first picture is of the top right corner and I've pulled the red up and to the right so you can see how it's crooked.

This is the bottom right side of the screen. (Not normal, I pulled the red out on purpose for display.)

This is the top right hand corner with the red pulled up and to the left. Crooked again.

Top right again. Pulled to the left and down.

This is the middle right. You can see the text is fuzzy and the red popping out of the right on the words Control and About and the red popping out the left pretty bad on the top line. (This is component 2 attached to Voom)

Closer shot of the text.

This is the left side of the screen. You can tell the blues on the menu are darker and more vibrant and the text is more crisp. (compared to the next picture.

This is the right side of the screen where the blue is washed out and the text is blurry.
Old 02-23-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm guessing that the red gun is screwed up. There is likely a better (better = more grid points) convergence grid in the service menu that might be able to do a better job, but you'd have to know what you are doing to go in there. And this could require a physical focus adjustment, too. An ISF tech could certainly help, and improve other settings as well, no doubt. For several hundred dollars.

The folks at hometheaterspot.com are the experts on RPTVs, esp CRT models. That was the origin of the site, figuring out how to do adjustments like these yourselves. Perhaps try over there for some advice, although it is partly a pay site these days, $25/year for the best tweaking advice. If $25 can help you fix it yourself, that would save perhaps $500 for a good calibration and convergence/focus fix by a pro.
Old 02-23-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, thanks for your advice Spiky. Would it be possible for the red gun to be screwed up even though it's only happening on the right side of the screen? It would be worth the $25 to me to get it fixed and looking nicer, but no way I'd pay $500. The TV only set me back $1,200 brand new... LOL.
Old 02-23-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really sure. I never ended up getting a CRT TV like this, so haven't had to deal with it. I would guess it could be angled slightly to one side and leave only part of the screen out of focus and off-target. From your pics it seems the degredation is a bit gradual across the screen to support that. But I'm not going to know much on this. I don't know if that kind of problem would be within some adjustment spec that you could fix or if it is actually damaged.
Old 02-25-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to get into the service menu and I did the fine manual convergence and now it's pretty perfect. When I'm doing the convergence it's pretty hard to get everything straight and lined up. I'm pretty darn happy with the results though. No more red protruding and the text is much clearer. Thanks to the good folks over at avsforum.com. And I didn't even have to pay the $25 from hometheaterspot.com!!
Old 02-27-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great!