Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 12:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOX Launches New Network To Compete With The CW

FOX TO LAUNCH MY NETWORK TV
New Station-Friendly Primetime Option Set for September
Primetime Dramas “Desire” and “Secrets” to Inaugurate My Network TV Debut

NEW YORK – February 22, 2006 - FOX will launch My Network TV, a new primetime program network scheduled to debut this fall. Fox Television Stations, Inc., and Twentieth Television will operate the new venture. The announcement was made today at a press conference in New York by Peter Chernin, President and Chief Operating Officer, News Corporation; Roger Ailes, Chairman of Fox Television Stations; and Jack Abernethy, CEO of Fox Television Stations.

Upon launching on Tuesday, September 5th, 2006, My Network TV will feature quality primetime programming from 8:00-10:00pm (EST/PST) Monday through Saturday, totaling 12 hours of original content per week. Providing broadcasters a viable and station-friendly option for primetime, involving no reverse compensation, My Network TV will position stations with operational flexibility through an appealing affiliation term and attractive inventory split, further building asset value.

Fox Television Stations’ WWOR/New York, KCOP/Los Angeles, WPWR/Chicago, KDFI/Dallas, WDCA/Washington, D.C., KTXH/Houston, WFTC/Minneapolis, KUTP/Phoenix, WRBW/ Orlando and WUTB/Baltimore will serve as anchor affiliates of My Network TV, representing 24% of the United States. Supported with powerful branding and marketing initiatives that tie-in locally, the service will maintain and strengthen affiliates’ community brand recognition with a complete look and feel of a national network that empowers localism.

Regarding the announcement, Mr. Chernin stated, “No other media company comes close to Fox when it comes to launching new networks and gauging audience appetites. Over the past 20 years, we’ve proved it time and again with FBC, FX, Fox News Channel and National Geographic Channel among many others. And with My Network TV, we think we’ve come up with a unique format that will resonate with today’s consumer and a model that can be profitable from day one.”

Mr. Ailes added, “Backed by the strongest media company in the world, My Network TV is a viable alternative brought to you by proven winners who know quality programming. Independent stations are in need of a solid option for primetime and we believe no other company is providing this service to the market.”

Commented Mr. Abernethy, “We’re thrilled to be launching My Network TV this fall. We consider this to be a station-friendly alternative that will deliver more local inventory to its affiliates, uphold each station’s localism and feature quality programming supported by strong branding and marketing. We are looking forward to signing additional affiliates in the coming weeks.”

Twentieth Television’s new hour-long scripted dramas “Desire” and “Secrets” will inaugurate My Network TV. Structured in a 65-episode story arc stripped Monday through Friday for 13 weeks, “Desire” and “Secrets” are based on the worldwide success of the telenovela format. “Desire” chronicles the destruction of a family and the bonds of brotherhood take center stage when two brothers on the run from the mafia find themselves in a heated battle of passion, betrayal, deceit and murder over the woman they both love. “Secrets” goes deep behind-the-scenes to focus on the glamorous, yet sometimes brutally ruthless fashion industry, in which greed, lust and blind ambition surround a violent corporate takeover of the business’ hottest company. Principal photography on the dramas will commence early March.

Twentieth Television is aggressively developing additional programs and proven formats spanning reality, drama, comedy, game, news, movies and talk for My Network TV as the network develops, while also exploring opportunities with its sister companies. The company is opening its doors to all other major Hollywood studios to negotiate future programming concepts. Programs currently in development include:

• “Catwalk” (Twentieth Television) -- The ultimate search for the next “It” supermodel begins by crossing the country to discover 30 of the hottest, hippest and freshest faces who will compete for the once in a lifetime opportunity to be catapulted into stardom.

• “Celebrity Love Island” [Granada (“Nanny 911”)] -- Six gorgeous celebrity and six non-celebrity singletons are thrown together in a fantasy island setting, where a star-studded search for love takes place.

• “On Scene” (Fox News) -- This crime investigative series will cover all angles, examine all of the evidence and trace every single clue of the most compelling crimes committed today.

• “America’s Brainiest” (working title) [Celador (“Who Wants to Be A Millionaire”)] -- This quiz show, based on the hit British program, will find the country’s smartest individuals and reveal them in an exciting format.

• In addition, Twentieth Television is in advanced negotiations with FremantleMedia North America (“American Idol”) on an international format.

The Fox Television Stations group, one of the nation’s largest owned-and-operated network broadcast groups, comprises 35 stations in 26 markets, covering nearly 45% of U.S. television homes. This includes five duopolies in the top 10 markets, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas and Washington D.C., as well as duopolies in Houston, Minneapolis, Phoenix and Orlando.

A leader in the U.S. program production and distribution arena, Twentieth Television is a unit of Fox Television Stations, Inc., which is headed by chairman Roger Ailes while CEO Jack Abernethy oversees day-to-day operations. Twentieth Television provides a wide array of first-run and off-network programming, as well as feature film packages, to the syndication and cable marketplaces. First-run programs distributed by Twentieth Television include “Geraldo at Large,” the news strip hosted by Geraldo Rivera, and the popular court shows “Divorce Court” and “Judge Alex,” the number one new first-run program of the 2005-06 season. In addition to “Desire” and “Secrets,” the company is set to launch the new court show “Cristina’s Court,” hosted by Cristina Perez, in Fall 2006. Twentieth Television also oversees the domestic sales of one of the most extensive libraries of off-net programming in the entertainment industry. Last fall, the company launched the groundbreaking drama “24,” starring Kiefer Sutherland, and The Peabody Award-winning sitcom “The Bernie Mac Show” in off-net syndication.

Fox Entertainment Group, a division of News Corporation, is principally engaged in the development, production and worldwide distribution of feature films and television programs, television broadcasting and cable network programming. The unit’s studios, production facilities and film and television library provide high-quality creative content, and broadcasting and cable networks provide extensive distribution platforms for the Company's programs.

# # #
Old 02-22-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding the announcement, Mr. Chernin stated, “No other media company comes close to Fox when it comes to launching new networks and gauging audience appetites

They lost me right here. Don't make me list all the great TV shows they cancelled...
Old 02-22-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa.
Old 02-22-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The combination of UPN and WB will leave plenty of areas that have both channels short one in the fall. I guess this comes at a good time with the soon-to-be available affiliates out there.
Old 02-22-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
This has to be a joke, right? Fox doesn't even have enough quality programming to fill one channel, much less two.
Old 02-22-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Network TV: We broadcast the shows not good enough for FOX.
Old 02-22-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185708,00.html

Sounds like it will start only on the 10 stations owned by News Corp. that used to be either UPN or WB and are not becoming CW stations. They hope to add more stations later.
Old 02-22-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Structured in a 65-episode story arc stripped Monday through Friday for 13 weeks, “Desire” and “Secrets” are based on the worldwide success of the telenovela format.
Which will be cancelled by the 35th episode.
Old 02-22-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Let's see, "reality, reality, game show, crime show, soap opera-type shows" - good, I don't have to start watching Fox again.
Old 02-22-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
So this network is for the FOX rejected pilots.

Too bad this wasn't around for Titus, Skin, and Fastlane.
Old 02-22-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ and Firefly
Old 02-22-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
So it's realty/game shows not good enough for Fox plus it shills for Fox News. Sound promising.
Old 02-22-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ARe they going to bring back all the good shows the cancelled?
Firefly and Wonderfalls and....
Old 02-22-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185708,00.html

Sounds like it will start only on the 10 stations owned by News Corp. that used to be either UPN or WB and are not becoming CW stations. They hope to add more stations later.
Despite what the FOX News article says, it appears at least one of the channels at launch won't be a former UPN or WB affiliate. The Dallas station listed in the original article actually isn't the now-unaffiliated UPN affiliate (though it is FOX owned).

It's about time they did something with that station besides play Cops and Fear Factor reruns.
Old 02-22-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Doubt they'll bring them back, but considering how many decent shows they cancel, having a second channel with offset ratings expectations might be a good thing, and they'll keep the American Idol 5 days a week on the regular channel.
Old 02-22-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Interesting since I am in a market where Fox owns the local affiliate.
Old 02-22-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, not one of those shows sounds the least bit interesting...At least UPN/WB have a few good shows.
Old 02-22-06, 02:24 PM

Dark Angel, Firefly, Futurama, Profit, The Inside, Tru Calling and Wonderfalls are all deserving of another go around. If MNT brings any of these shows back, I'm there.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 02-22-06 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all i have to say is
Old 02-22-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another FOX channel i can avoid watching.
Old 02-22-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
If they bring back Dark Angel, Firefly, Futurama, The Inside, Tru Calling and Wonderfalls, I'm so there.
Why would they? Fox doesn't seem interested in quality programming.

This looks like a dumping ground for the same-old, same-old from the fucktards who run that network. It's probably just going to end up as a platform to air "American Idol" 10 times a week.
Old 02-22-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
This looks like a dumping ground for the same-old, same-old from the fucktards who run that network. It's probably just going to end up as a platform to air "American Idol" 10 times a week.
However if that creates a void on FOX by them airing new AI (or other reality crap like Simple Life Part BLECH on this new network, SOMETHING will have to fill the slots they currently occupy on FOX. Sounds like a mess to me.

I wish (being in a market that has the Baltimore and DC stations) that they use this as an outlet to air stuff like Reunion that they cancelled before finishing.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-22-06 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-22-06, 02:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
However if that creates a void on FOX by them airing new [b]AI[/n] on this new network, SOMETHING will have to fill the January slots it now occupies on FOX.
They are NEVER going to move American Idol off FOX.
Old 02-22-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

“Secrets” goes deep behind-the-scenes to focus on the glamorous, yet sometimes brutally ruthless fashion industry, in which greed, lust and blind ambition surround a violent corporate takeover of the business’ hottest company.

Sounds like the failed 1980s series "Paper Dolls"
Old 02-22-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
That sucks- I was hoping independent stations would come back, or someone would start a quality-minded network aimed at a more discerning audience, with no on-screen crap during shows, shorter commercial breaks, no on-screen crap during shows, taking more risks on shows and giving them a better chance to find an audience, and NO ON-SCREEN CRAP DURING SHOWS!

I blame Fox for all that is wrong with the world today- they killed off many of the nation's greatest independent stations and they were the first to put their logo onscreen during shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.