Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

King Kong 2-Disc SE for $19.98 @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
King Kong 2-Disc SE for $19.98 @ Amazon

I had placed the King Kong SE DVD in my Saved Items area and got a notification that it had dropped from $21.99 to $19.98. I know an extended version will be coming, but I will get this one since the extended one probably won't include the theatrical version and $20 seems to be a decent price for this one...
Old 02-22-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
did this movie make as much money as was expected out of it ?

anyway, am not falling for that 2 disc special edition -> 3 disc ultimate edition -> 4 disc platinum edition marketing BS. will wait..
Old 02-22-06, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Expect lower B&M prices on release day.
Old 02-22-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by illennium
Expect lower B&M prices on release day.
Not necessarily, this being another dual release the SE will most likely be around $22-24. Possibly $20 but that would be the lowest.
Old 02-22-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Not necessarily, this being another dual release the SE will most likely be around $22-24. Possibly $20 but that would be the lowest.

it's rare to see a dvd that doesn't start at 14.99 on release day UNLEss it's like a disney flick or something special
Old 02-23-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Walk The Line ... I see where this is going.

I might hold out for the 4 disc edition with the included production diaries ... maybe, just maybe. I did think the theatrical length was great, but there's one little element missing that just might be the deciding factor - DTS (as mentioned roughly 293 times earlier in this post).
Old 02-23-06, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by phatboy
it's rare to see a dvd that doesn't start at 14.99 on release day UNLEss it's like a disney flick or something special
The single DVD version will probably be $14.99, but bet the house on the two disc being about $20 to $24.
Old 02-23-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In regards to the DTS thing, Universal will probably follow New Line's blueprint with the theatrical version getting just Dolby and the extended one DTS. Since this is only $20, I don't mind paying it and then later picking up the extended edition -- unless they actually include the theatrical version, which I doubt.
Old 02-23-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up....I cancelled my original order with this title and the Narnia Collector's set and reordered.

"I want my two dollars"
Old 02-23-06, 11:27 AM

cool....put in the order today, thanks op
Old 02-23-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
In regards to the DTS thing, Universal will probably follow New Line's blueprint with the theatrical version getting just Dolby and the extended one DTS. Since this is only $20, I don't mind paying it and then later picking up the extended edition -- unless they actually include the theatrical version, which I doubt.
This is the lowest is going to get for the 2 disc.

I doubt there will be a more extended edition. It's Universal we are talking here NOT New Line or Fox.

What can we expect from Universal? Probably a shitty package and no DTS and no extended edition in the future even if it's been directed by peter jackson.
Old 02-23-06, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by kar10
I doubt there will be a more extended edition.
The Extended Edition DVD has already been announced.
Old 02-23-06, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
The Extended Edition DVD has already been announced.

It has not been announced, but it is heavily rumored.
Old 02-23-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dx23
It has not been announced, but it is heavily rumored.
Natural assumption via LoTR, Frighteners, etc.
Old 02-23-06, 08:11 PM

From www.DavisDVD.com:

Originally Posted by DavisDVD.com
King Kong

We've obtained what are for now final specs for Universal's release of King Kong due on March 28th. A single-disc edition will arrive with a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include "The Volkswagen Toureg & King Kong" and "Wish You Were Here" features. Retail is $29.98.

The double-disc special edition will also include the following exclusive bonus materials: Introduction by Peter Jackson, Post-Production Diaries 55-90 (nearly three hours of never-before-seen featurettes), "Kong's New York, 1933" (1930s New York comes alive in this fascinating piece that explores vaudeville, the skyscraper boom, the construction of the Empire State Building and more), "Skull Island: A Natural History" (travel with Peter Jackson and his crew and uncover the fascinating facts about the island's mysterious origins, reclusive inhabitants and jawdropping creatures). Retail is $30.98. Also be aware that an extended cut of the film is evidently in the works for release later in the year.
Old 02-23-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though Universal is not New Line, they're going to milk this thing as much as they can. They'll release an extended version just in time for Christmas.
Old 02-23-06, 08:43 PM

Still not an official announcement. Still just a rumor.
Old 02-23-06, 09:17 PM

Walmart will beat the $19.98 price on this guaranteed. Maybe by only a few cents, but it will be cheaper there, and no shipping fee, and you get to hold it in your hand before you buy it. People who pre order new releases online just pay more, all the time, everytime.
Old 02-23-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ericn101
Walmart will beat the $19.98 price on this guaranteed. Maybe by only a few cents, but it will be cheaper there, and no shipping fee, and you get to hold it in your hand before you buy it. People who pre order new releases online just pay more, all the time, everytime.
Not when you factor in taxes and you receive free shipping from Amazon.

Also, YMMV greatly from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart...
Old 02-23-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From www.DavisDVD.com:Also be aware that an extended cut of the film is evidently in the works for release later in the year.
Like people said, this was an easy guess to make, just like I expect Chronicles of Narnia to get an extended edition too.

One thing I'm wondering is if the extended cut will have totally different bonus materials (like Lord of the Rings) or will it included everything on the 2-DVD edition and more?

I waited for the EE of each Lord of the Rings movie, and then I bought the 3 2-DVD releases when Target had them for $5.88 each. I don't know if that scenario will repeat or not, but typically 4-DVD editions can be found for $24.99 on release week. $5 more for 2 more DVDs and hopefully DTS... that's a no-brainer. I guess I'll be without Kong until the end of this year.

If I knew they'd offer a $10 upgrade coupon (without having to destroy your package) like Lord of the Rings, that might give me an incentive to buy in March. I wouldn't mind paying $10 for the 2-DVD edition now knowing I'd get the 4-DVD edition for $25 at the end of the year, but there's no way I'm going to pay $20 or $22 now followed by $25 later.
Old 02-24-06, 12:44 AM

I'm having a hard time believing Kong will get the Extended Edition. Universal isn't New Line, and Kong hardly needs any footage added. Universal would be better served to offer a Special "further Edited" Edition.
Old 02-24-06, 01:03 AM

This is more of another price offer for the dumb and cant wait buyers...

Why was it a bargain? if there were no basis yet to compare?

And then once the B&M price arises.. most of which falls under the "If I only Waited" excuses
Old 02-24-06, 01:11 AM

From TheDigitalBits.com:

Arnaud Calistri, the editor of the French DVD news site DVDRama, e-mailed me yesterday to say that Universal France has just confirmed that a deluxe King Kong "box set edition" is being prepared for DVD release in November of this year, and that it will feature a new edit of the film itself. France will also be getting the same two editions the studio just announced for release here in the States on 3/28, but not until August. We're working with our own sources to try and confirm this, but it definitely seems like a possibility given Jackson's track record with his Lord of the Rings extended DVDs.
Old 02-24-06, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by xage
This is more of another price offer for the dumb and cant wait buyers...

Why was it a bargain? if there were no basis yet to compare?

And then once the B&M price arises.. most of which falls under the "If I only Waited" excuses
I know for myself I often will preorder from Amazon then cancel if the B&M prices are confirmed to be lower in the week before it goes on sale. I'm also on the last days of my free Prime shipping offer so that was another reason to preorder now. The last reason would be that even if (and more likely when) the extended version comes out it may not have the original cut of the movie.
Old 02-24-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by leeta
Also, YMMV greatly from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart...
Right you are. Batman Begins, Charlie &tCF ... Wal-Mart has not been the low-price leader for those items.

Pick up the 2D from Amazon and check for some of the typically 7.50-10.00 DVDs, have them shipped to you for free and for a pretty comparable cost.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.