Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Kirby: Another reason you guys suck

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kirby: Another reason you guys suck

I always dismissed Kirby as a bit childish and silly...and never really even checked out the games. I even saw Kirby mentioned recently on a "games for very little kids" thread. But I picked up a Kirby game for my little guy's game boy and holy crap...it's an amazingly fun platformer with personality to spare!!! 2D sidescrolling at its very best...up there with Yoshi's Island and SMB 2 & 3.

I've since picked up the original NES game and ordered the other Gameboy one, Magic Mirror.

On to the why you guys suck...

I don't think I've ever heard anybody rave about Kirby on this board...ever...or even mention in passing that they liked it. Perhaps we are all a bit too manly for a little pink....whatever.

So let me be the first to come out of the closet and say without qualification that Kirby games fucking rock.
Old 02-22-06, 08:31 AM
Suspended

There is talk about Kirby in the DS thread.

We do not suck afterall.
Old 02-22-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Pink is my favorite color.

2. Kirby games do rock.

Other than Magical Mirror, there hasn't been a new Kirby adventure game since the 64. I know I probably mentioned a few times that I though Kirby Air Ride was better than Mario Kart Double Dash since they both came out around the same time but it was probably ignored as the heresy. If you really want to get some Kirby on and you have a SNES you NEED to get both Kirby Super Star and Kirby Dream Land 3. Both are last-gen SNES games that have amazing graphics and both are chocked full of highly excellent gameplay. Bring a friend in for Super Star though, it's so much better as a 2 player game.
Old 02-22-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Oh, how could I forget that.. I just bought it too. It rocks.
Old 02-22-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
1. Pink is my favorite color.

2. Kirby games do rock.

Other than Magical Mirror, there hasn't been a new Kirby adventure game since the 64. I know I probably mentioned a few times that I though Kirby Air Ride was better than Mario Kart Double Dash since they both came out around the same time but it was probably ignored as the heresy. If you really want to get some Kirby on and you have a SNES you NEED to get both Kirby Super Star and Kirby Dream Land 3. Both are last-gen SNES games that have amazing graphics and both are chocked full of highly excellent gameplay. Bring a friend in for Super Star though, it's so much better as a 2 player game.
I sampled both of the SNES games and they are indeed quite good...but they go for a premium. I'll just have to keep an eye on ebay.

The first one I bought, Nightmare in Dreamland, appears to be an update of the original NES game, though I can't be sure since I only checked it out briefly. Is the N64 one good too? I haven't bought a N64 game in years, but may have to change that.
Old 02-22-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings

We do not suck afterall.
Didn't really read that thread. I was one of those folks who didn't know what to make of the DS and took a "wait and see" approach.

My son is getting one for his birthday in April though.
Old 02-22-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
I sampled both of the SNES games and they are indeed quite good...but they go for a premium. I'll just have to keep an eye on ebay.

The first one I bought, Nightmare in Dreamland, appears to be an update of the original NES game, though I can't be sure since I only checked it out briefly. Is the N64 one good too? I haven't bought a N64 game in years, but may have to change that.
Nightmare in Dreamland is indeed a graphical update of the NES Kirby.. it does have a few new things (you can play though as Meta-Knight) but overall it's pretty much the same game. Kirby 64 is excellent, it was one of the two games I actually bothered borrowing an N64 back in the day to play, plus you can get Kirby a dual-bladed light saber. It has a pretty cool ability combo system and is still tried-and-true 2D gameplay. How much are the SNES games going for nowadays? I'd say for $20 you're still getting a great deal as they're both beyond awesome.. they are the two best Kirby games in the series and it's probably impossible to find SNES games in the wild anymore.
Old 02-22-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both are $30+ for cartridge only...more with guide...and even more with box.
Old 02-22-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll chime in and say that the kirby game on the DS is awesome. Haven't really played the others though, but it is sounding like i should.
Old 02-22-06, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by chess
Didn't really read that thread. I was one of those folks who didn't know what to make of the DS and took a "wait and see" approach.

My son is getting one for his birthday in April though.
Since you are waiting anyway, get one in May when the DS Lite comes out. Give him a voucher or something.

The DS has had the best gaming in the past 12 months of ANY system, PC/Console or otherwise.

You are missing out on a wonderful experience.
Old 02-22-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I could have sworn I have sung the praises of Kirby before. I love the little pink guy.
Lets go over how much I love Kirby

I always play as Kirby in Super Smash Bros. (and I bring da pain)
Kirby Canvas Curve for the DS is my favorite game on the DS (outside of AC)
I collect Kirby merchandise. There is a corner of my desk dedicated to him. (all those trips to e3 paid off)
I have Kirby's Air Ride AND I've played online w/ xlink

Kirby fo life foo. ya heard meh?
Old 02-22-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I'd KILL for Kirby Air Ride DS over Wi-Fi. *drools*
Old 02-22-06, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Man, I'd KILL for Kirby Air Ride DS over Wi-Fi. *drools*
That would be bad ass. quick, someone tell nintendo - thats 2 sales right there!
Old 02-22-06, 06:34 PM

The Kirby games are universally praised on here, they are great platformers, maybe the one who dismissed it was YOU!

The most recent praise of Kirby is Kirby Canvas Curse for DS, the game is awesome and neat idea for a game that works very well using the capabilities of the DS. Basically you create paths for kirby to move on by drawing directly on the screen using the stylus, and can hit the enemies and such. It might start out simple but some of the later stages are very fast paced and difficult. The music rocks, like every kirby game.

And I agree Kirby Super Star is awesome too!
Old 02-22-06, 09:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

I agree Kirby games are good, and they are definitely highly considered here. Not sure how this accusation is justified unless it's sarcasm.
Old 02-22-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know how you feel, chess. I just found out about this awesome game called Super Mario Bros yesterday...why didn't you guys ever tell me about this?!

Old 02-22-06, 10:50 PM

I love everything about Kirby minus his cheap natures in Smash Brothers.

Perhaps I should take a moment and encourage everyone one more time to play Eternal Darkness, Physconauts, and Beyond Good and Evil...
Old 02-23-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
I agree Kirby games are good, and they are definitely highly considered here. Not sure how this accusation is justified unless it's sarcasm.
Mostly sarcasm...since they'd obviously been dismissed by ME.

Still, I almost never see Kirby's on "best of" lists. For the NES, SNES and GBA, these Kirby games are easily amongst the top 10 games for their respective systems.
Old 02-23-06, 04:05 PM

Old 02-23-06, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Kirby is one of my favorite characters on Super Smash Bros. Melee. Does that count?

Actually, I do like the Kirby games in general. He had some good GBA adventures.
Old 02-24-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I love Kirby games.

Kirby's Adventure for NES, is still my favorite one. I never get tired of that game. Go crane machine.
Old 02-24-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
Perhaps I should take a moment and encourage everyone one more time to play Eternal Darkness, Physconauts, and Beyond Good and Evil...
If Psychonauts and BGAE were backwards compatible on the 360 i might check them out. I always wanted to but never encountered them used and now the Xbox is gone. A bummer really.

Eternal Darkness was an incredible game.
Old 02-24-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
If Psychonauts and BGAE were backwards compatible on the 360 i might check them out. I always wanted to but never encountered them used and now the Xbox is gone. A bummer really.
Thank goodness BMX XXX and Drake of the 99 Dragons are backwards compatible though, am I right?
Old 02-24-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Thank goodness BMX XXX and Drake of the 99 Dragons are backwards compatible though, am I right?
While i really wouldn't used the BC a whole lot i was disappointed that my Midway Arcade Treasures wouldn't work. Then there were still a few holdout games i wanted to play - you had picked two of them (Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil - Bards Tale is on the list as well because i never finished it). Due to them not doing really well i wonder if they will ever turn up on the BC list or if i'm just stuck not playing them unless i rebuy the original Xbox. What can you do though - sometimes i almost wished i had a PS2 just for the Kingdom Hearts games.
Old 02-24-06, 04:11 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've never played Kirby for NES, but the Gameboy games rocked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.