More Warner Comedies coming June 20th 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 06:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More Warner Comedies coming June 20th 2006

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

5 Comedies from Warner in June

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD debut of five entertaining comedies, each with a fervent "cult" following and previously unavailable on DVD. A Fine Madness, The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight, I Love You, Alice B. Toklas, The Loved One and Petulia will each be available on 20th June 2006 for $19.97 SRP. All the films have been newly remastered and are presented in anamorphic widescreen.

A Fine Madness -- It's a certifiable case of a fine madness as genius, poet and carpet cleaner Samson Shillitoe (Sean Connery) and his beleaguered wife (Joanne Woodward) plunge into a series of daffy disasters from which Samson continues to come up smiling. Life takes a turn for the worse when he dallies with the wife (Jean Seaberg) of a psychiatrist (Patrick O'Neal) who seeks revenge by prescribing "brain surgery."

The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight -- The screen version of the best-selling comic novel about a Brooklyn turf war brings together such diverse stars as Jerry Orbach, Jo Van Fleet, Leigh Taylor-Young, Lionel Stander and on-the-rise Robert DeNiro in his first major screen appearance.

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas -- Harold Fine (Peter Sellers) is a dedicated lawyer about to become a more dedicated dropout. Director Paul Mazursky spreads good vibes as Harold discovers tuning in and turning on can turn out daffily disastrous. Leigh Taylor-Young and Jo Van Fleet costar.

The Loved One -- Robert Morse plays a bemused would-be poet who gets entangled with an unctuous cemetery entrepreneur (Jonathan Winters), a mom-obsessed mortician known as Mr. Joyboy (Rod Steiger in an unforgettable, and unexpectedly out of character performance) and other bizarre characters played by an array of talented actors such as John Gielgud, Robert Morley, Tab Hunter, Milton Berle, James Coburn and Liberace.

Petulia -- Set in San Francisco during the `60s summer-of-love era, the film tells the story of a recently divorced doctor (George C. Scott) in a relationship with an unhappily married socialite (Julie Christie). As the director zigzags through the flashbacks and flash-forwards, the jigsaw pieces form a celluloid time capsule of life and love. Also starring is Shirley Knight and Richard Chamberlain.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60506
Old 02-22-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Still no Arsnic and old Lace SE.
Old 02-22-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Still no Arsnic and old Lace SE
According to last nights chat, Warner has no plans on an SE of this.
Old 02-22-06, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been waiting for I Love You, Alice B. Toklas forever. Way cool!
Old 02-22-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was kinda hoping for Pretty Maids All In A Row... But THE LOVED ONE Is excellent news. Great, great movie. I am happy.
Old 02-22-06, 10:03 PM

Good titles.

Not sure why Arsenic and Old Lace needs an SE? I have the current disc and it looks wonderful.
Old 02-22-06, 11:12 PM
Banned

"I Love You, Alice B. Toklas" is a great movie. I can't believe it took so long to get it out on DVD.
Old 02-23-06, 08:11 AM
Banned

Old 02-25-06, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas ....awesome
Old 02-25-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, THE LOVED ONE is the highlight in this group. I've seen most of the others in recent years, and they didn't seem as good as I remembered them, so I'll be interested in reading other people's reactions to them.