Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tati's Playtime--Is there date yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tati's Playtime--Is there date yet?

I'm putting together the syllabus for my summer film aesthetics course, and I'd like to arrange a showing of M. Hulot's Holiday and Playtime to go along with the "official" course film, Mon Oncle.

I know that it's been said that Criterion has announced that they will be re-releasing this film sometime in 2006, but I can't find any information on their website, which still lists the film as OOP.

I sent an email in to them a couple of months ago, but received nothing save the automated reply in response.

Anybody know whether or not this might be out before July?
Old 02-21-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No date yet.
Old 02-21-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not really off topic, but are "regular" DVDs licensed to be shown to school groups? I know that there's a "scholastic license" or something similar for programs that can be shown to school groups but not for home viewing ... James Burke's Connections TV series was (is?) available this way IIRC (maybe on VHS only).

The copyright warning that one sees usually says "licensed for home viewing only".
Old 02-21-06, 02:42 PM
Suspended

From what I've been told, I am allowed to show films to students who are registered in my course.

The rules for classroom use are different from your standard public showing. This according to both the administration and the law school.

If they were to change these rules, then you'd see film studies dry up on college campuses, and those classes that remain limited to showing the same overpriced films over and over and over again.

Besides, the last time I taught this course, I had at least ten students go out and buy copies of the Three Colours Trilogy, and other students not only bought copies of the films we watched in class, but other films by the same directors. If the film industry is wise, they will realize that classes like mine are quite possibly the only time students are going to be exposed to these sorts of films, and that exposure translates to revenue.
Old 02-21-06, 03:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
maybe Criterion is holding off until HiDef DVD's are on the market - so they can source the disc from a 65mm print.
Old 02-21-06, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Educational purposes are covered by the "fair use" clauses in virtually every law that's been handed down over copyright issues. It's basically the same principle that makes it legal to check out films, CDs, music scores, etc. from libraries. There's absolutely no commercial intent.
Old 02-21-06, 03:40 PM
Suspended

Well, a HD DVD version will do me no good. We've just managed to get DVD players into the classrooms. It'll be a decade before they start putting in HD DVD players. More than that, probably, as I doubt the HD vs. Blu-Ray competition will be solved as quickly as DVD vs. Divx was.