Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Up-converting TV or DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 11:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I was recently reading through the manual of my Toshiba 34HF85C HDTV, and found a page concerning 1080i output. The manual says that the TV will automatically up-convert ALL input signals to 1080i, unless the source is 480p, in which case I can choose between 1080i and 540p. I've been using the 1080i setting (via Component inputs)

Lately, I've been looking at up-converting DVD players. It looks like most models can up-convert to 720p and 1080i via an HDMI output (my TV has an HDMI input)

Would I see an increase in image quality by using an up-converting DVD player (via HDMI) as opposed to the auto-upconverting done by my TV (via Component cables)?

My initial thought was that, as long as something is doing the up-converting, it should appear the same. But, I get the feeling that a DVD player built specifically to up-convert to 1080i and output digitally would have a better image than my TV up-converting an analog signal to 1080i. But I'm not THAT tech-savvy, so I don't know if I'm thinking the wrong way.

Any ideas/experience?
Old 02-20-06, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I had the OPPO Player, which almost everyone loves around here and I used it on my Westinghouse television (Model: LTV-27w2) and from the specs, the television basically had the same kind of technology that the OPPO had, so I saw no difference at all, actually, I believe my picture was alright rather than amazing. I keep saying my old JVC DVD/VHS Player looked better - plus it was more tweaking of the unit than playing movies on it. I'm thinking about getting another Upconverting DVD Player, maybe a Samsung just to test it out.

Anyways, I did return the OPPO player after the OPPO Customer Service sent me a great reply after I asked if the TV and the Player were the same. Here's the reply from Customer Service, really good info (they have great CS):

Technically: yes. In actual practice: variable. Most displays and other
devices which have a Faroudja chipset in them only apply DCDi through
the analog inputs. Because Westinghouse has to make the chip work with
all devices which will be plugged into it, the amount of processing
that can reasonably be done is minimal compared to a device designed
for a specific purpose.

Because it is an internal scaler, there are two factors which will
effect the final product: the content device and the scaler
implementation. If the external player is already a good standard
definition player, then the DCDi algorithms are less important, and the
final product can look near the quality of the OPDV971H. However, if the
external device, or the design implementation of the internal scaler are
not up to the challenge, you will see obvious differences.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.