Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eight Below 80% at RT

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eight Below 80% at RT

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eight Below 80% at RT

suprised this is getting such good reviews, might actually see it, even some are saying Paul Walker is actually pretty good in it

"An emotionally gripping survival story with jaw-dropping cinematography, a straightforward sense of Antarctic danger and, brace yourself, good work from Paul Walker.""
Old 02-17-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its been a few weeks since Ive been to the movies, but Ive been wanting to see it. Although I think the dogs will probably put in better performances than Paul Walker.
Old 02-17-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I definately want to see this, i am one of the apparent few who like Paul Walker.
Old 02-17-06, 12:48 PM

I probably one of the few but i never thought Paul Walker was as bad as many people make him out to be theres many worse actors out there
Old 02-17-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Saw the trailer in the theater awhile back and was very surprised how good the trailer was. Can't say I will see it in the theater but will definitely rent it in a few months.
Old 02-17-06, 01:17 PM
Banned

^ Paul Walker has more facial expressions than Josh Hartnett, but Hartnett's getting better roles.

Of course, 2 Eight 2 Below could change all that.
Old 02-17-06, 01:39 PM

I think I'll go tomorrow. Mainly cause I have a huskie and funny her name happens to be Maya.
Old 02-17-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps all was explained by a text prologue, saing that the cold weather has frozen Paul Walker's face.
Old 02-17-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once people see "Running Scared", they might change their opinion on Walker.

= J
Old 02-17-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Forget Paul Walker. I'm seeing it for the dogs.
Old 02-17-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh the new Paul Walker movie. I heard this one is hella violent.
Old 02-17-06, 04:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Damfino
Forget Paul Walker. I'm seeing it for the dogs.
the dogs definately do a better job with their 'acting' than their human counterparts.

it was okay, not great - also
Spoiler:
hold on to your popcorn/soda - there is a jump scare that made alot of the adults at the screening I saw - jump a foot. Several kids were crying after the scene - it was that in our face.
Old 02-17-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in Hollywood the past weekend and was driving by El Capitan with a couple of friends. They were having the premiere there and Paul Walker was being interviewed right as we were stopped at the light. That was pretty cool. First time I've seen a celebrity in person that close. I didn't know anything about the movie 'til then, but after seeing the trailer online I might go see it.
Old 02-17-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't stand Paul Walker, but love dogs!

I am definitely there soon.
Old 02-17-06, 08:13 PM

My brother works for Buena Vista, they had a screening at their office this week. He said it was really good, and heart-breaking. He also said Walker doesn't try go outside of his range in this one. Bring tissues, he said.
Old 02-17-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Well,

Spoiler:
I noticed in some of the trailer shots that there are clearly less than eight dogs making the trek at parts, so this indicates to me that they do not all survive.

I will say that I, and many other people, get more emotional when animals are in danger than they ever will with humans. If you have a man trying to save a woman from a psycho who will surely kill her, audience will yawn. Same scenario except he is trying to save a basket of puppies, everyone is tensed.
Old 02-18-06, 01:41 AM

I'm the same way, kill a person in a movie..meh so what. But kill an animal and I have a hard time watching it. That is actually the reason why I'm not too keen on seeing this film in theaters. I heard...
Spoiler:
that one of the dogs gets killed in a pretty brutal way.
Can anybody who saw the film tell me...
Spoiler:
just exactly how many dogs die and how graphic it is so I can decide if this is something that I want to see or not?
Thanks.
Old 02-18-06, 02:38 AM

I saw this 2 weeks ago at a preview screening. I wanted to see it but then it started and wasn't too sure I liked how it started. But by the end, I really liked it. I was surprised and I can relate to it. I mean, it's essentially about love, but it's a love that doesn't make me cringe..like in movies like Just Like Heaven. I think kids will be bored by it, honestly. It's not Snow Dogs (which is what I accidentally kept calling it). But I saw a lot of choked-up adults and couples. Good movie.
Old 02-18-06, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Being sensitive about animals myself, i am going to wait and buy the DVD instead of seeing it at the theater.
Old 02-18-06, 05:32 AM
Banned

if you're shocked this is getting good reviews you must not watch disney movies.
Old 02-18-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Janus3
if you're shocked this is getting good reviews you must not watch disney movies.

Uh...with a few exceptions(Pixar productions,Pirates of the Caribbean, Narnia) Disney hasn't had a very good track record as of late.
Old 02-18-06, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I'm the same way, kill a person in a movie..meh so what. But kill an animal and I have a hard time watching it. That is actually the reason why I'm not too keen on seeing this film in theaters. I heard...
Spoiler:
that one of the dogs gets killed in a pretty brutal way.
Can anybody who saw the film tell me...
Spoiler:
just exactly how many dogs die and how graphic it is so I can decide if this is something that I want to see or not?
Thanks.

Spoiler:
Two of the dogs die. One is killed when the snow breaks off and he slides down a cliff. The other you don't see die. It's the oldest one that doesn't break off the chain that they are all left on. They just show them finding his collar and a bit of fur buried in the snow. Another one is injured and we are lead to believe she dies but she's okay

I don't remember the last time I cried at a movie but I had tears rolling down my face during this one.
Old 02-18-06, 08:05 AM

A review of the film from my favorite critic (online or otherwise). Warning, some spoilers within..

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=22438

He's great.

-JP
Old 02-18-06, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nickee
Spoiler:
Two of the dogs die. One is killed when the snow breaks off and he slides down a cliff. The other you don't see die. It's the oldest one that doesn't break off the chain that they are all left on. They just show them finding his collar and a bit of fur buried in the snow. Another one is injured and we are lead to believe she dies but she's okay

I don't remember the last time I cried at a movie but I had tears rolling down my face during this one.
Thanks Nickee! Sounds like I'll wait for DVD then. Come to think of it the only time I ever cry at movies is
Spoiler:
when an animal is killed.
Old 02-18-06, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Uh...with a few exceptions(Pixar productions,Pirates of the Caribbean, Narnia) Disney hasn't had a very good track record as of late.
greatest game ever played was great, mirale was great, glory road was great and remember the titans was great. don't know what you've been watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.